• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coconut Oil and Beeswax for Muzzleloader Patches/Grease

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I guess this is as good a place as any

For those unfamiliar with muzzleloading and the reasons behind using certain types of grease I will explain it this way, think about an old cast iron frying pan and how good things taste cooked in a well seasoned one muzzleloader barrels are no different (except you don't cook in it obviously) once you get the metal well seasoned it will not rust and will be easy to clean with just plain water. Of course you can buy soaps, solvents, etc but they ruin your seasoning and are unnecessary but they make a lot of money for those who sell them. I have used many different mixes over the years with crisco, bacon grease, beef tallow etc. but always a little beeswax in there. The mix is easy, in hotter months use more beeswax to help keep it more solid, in colder months use less so it won't be a hard block- pretty scientific stuff. I decided to try the coconut oil/beeswax mix in one of my Kentuckies and have used it for about 6 months for patching and oiling after cleaning and am pretty satisfied over the long term. It also works well greasing BP revolver cylinders to avoid chain fires, be aware of the heat! I used plain crisco once many years ago in the summertime and had a chainfire as it had melted out, still have the scar. It melts quick and mixes well and is extremely cheap.
It's worth a shot (pun intended)