• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

co-authoring a book?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Me and a friend are going to co-author a book!

Once he gets out of the psychiatric ward where he currently is, that is

How exactly can two people go about writing one book together?

Does anyone know, or have any ideas?

I mean, what are the actual mechanics of doing so?

Basically, what is the best way to do this?

Does anyone here know?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Does anyone here know?
One of you concentrate on the verbs whilst the other does the nouns. :)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Does anyone here know?
Depends...what kind of book? What can each of you bring to the table?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Depends...what kind of book? What can each of you bring to the table?
A book about religion, that's as far as we've got thus far

In one sense, we both have different histories and backgrounds - and in another we have similar histories and backgrounds

So we need to compare notes and work stuff out

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Does anyone here know?
I suggest using Microsoft Teams software, and I suggest combining that with archiving software such as Git. Then you can both work on your document simultaneously in Teams, and you can consult older versions of your work using Git. Git will take a few hours to learn. Teams is included with a Microsoft license, and its somewhat like having a chat and messaging system inside of your word processor. You can also use audio and video as you work on your document. If you prefer to save money, you can use a shared Google docs document.

Before you begin, consult an attorney. "Good fences make good neighbors." If you keep backups in Git and keep regular backups also of your hard drives in a way that is provable and acceptable in court then you will have a good fence. Neither of you will be able to claim sole ownership of the copyright.

There are other software systems of course. I'm only mentioning one combination which could work for you. I think one drawback of Microsoft Word is that it doesn't have much support for chapters and themes. There are programs specifically for writers which do. What I mean is there are programs like Scrivener, but these aren't designed with multiple writers in mind. What they do is help you build up themes and plots and integrate them and build chapters.

Another option is a wiki, which is a web page that you can both edit.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I suggest using Microsoft Teams software, and I suggest combining that with archiving software such as Git. Then you can both work on your document simultaneously in Teams, and you can consult older versions of your work using Git. Git will take a few hours to learn. Teams is included with a Microsoft license, and its somewhat like having a chat and messaging system inside of your word processor. You can also use audio and video as you work on your document. If you prefer to save money, you can use a shared Google docs document.

Before you begin, consult an attorney. "Good fences make good neighbors." If you keep backups in Git and keep regular backups also of your hard drives in a way that is provable and acceptable in court then you will have a good fence. Neither of you will be able to claim sole ownership of the copyright.

There are other software systems of course. I'm only mentioning one combination which could work for you. I think one drawback of Microsoft Word is that it doesn't have much support for chapters and themes. There are programs specifically for writers which do. What I mean is there are programs like Scrivener, but these aren't designed with multiple writers in mind. What they do is help you build up themes and plots and integrate them and build chapters.

Another option is a wiki, which is a web page that you can both edit.
Thanks for your reply

I think we are probably going to collaborate using Google documents!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I ghostwrote for a family friend. He told the stories, and I put it into narrative form. Not quite the same, but I would suggest making sure you two have good communication and can compromise. I had to let go of a lot of ideas that I felt would have been better for the writing aspect. It was a book about his experiences as a night custodian in a haunted school, and some of his stories were...pretty out there even for a book on paranormal, so compromising on how to relate it so it didn't sound super crazy while maintaining the integrity of his experience became a normal part of the routine. Took about year to put together.

Last edited: