• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cloud gaming, is it worth it?

Nimos

Those that like playing games have probably heard about cloud gaming. Initially I was very fond of it, having a dinosaur computer (8-9 years old) so performance have always been an issue for me when it comes to games.

For everything else I use it for, mostly graphic works, surfing the net etc. its doing rather well in terms of what I need. So not being all to keen on buying a new computer, if I don't really have to. I thought that cloud gaming was the perfect solution as I would not have to think about hardware anymore.

However a month ago or so, I bought a new graphic card, not an expensive one roughly 280$ or so and threw that in my computer. And as it is now, I can pretty much play all games I have tried so far on ultra with no issues.

The reason obviously being that most modern 3d games, will use the GPU rather than the CPU. Since I haven't upgraded my computer much in those 8-9 years. I was really surprised that simply changing the graphic card had such a huge impact, as I assumed that it would help slightly given the age of the rest of the computer.

However since that at least in my opinion is a very small investment over such a long period of time, I kind of changed my view on cloud gaming, why should I care to buy a subscription, when my own computer can run the games just fine.

Have anyone else given this any thoughts?

(Ps. Want to add, that I buy computers based on my graphic works, games etc. are just secondary. Which means that I am considering buying a Ryzen 9 for that reason only, but even then Im a bit in a dark zone, because it seems that GPU rendering is outperforming CPU rendering as well. And buying a Ryzen would require a lot more upgrades as well, which would obviously not be as cheap as simply buying a graphic card.... but anyway that is just me thinking out loud :D)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Before Cloud gaming became more of a regular thing, I was thinking "This will be good for people on iPads to play high end games."

The issue? It is already starting to get to the point where iPads can play high end games, now that Cloud is more popular.... but without the Cloud.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The CPU vs. GPU debate gets interesting... there exists a point where a better CPU would be better. But if one were to buy like a $300 graphics card, and not the real fancy cards, even an i5 can just about render as fast as the $300 graphics card (alongside it), not creating any real bottlenecks between the two.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Thanks. Who provides this kind of offsite GPU service?

There are many gaming companies. I'll have to prepare a list. Though, I'm not completely sure I'd call it offsite GPU processing, I could be wrong but everything gets processed in the cloud, every last bit, with the only processing done on your device being the handling of streaming it in. Which is why a good internet connection is actually pretty important, it sends the input signals, and receives the video and audio feed.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
There are many gaming companies. I'll have to prepare a list. Though, I'm not completely sure I'd call it offsite GPU processing, I could be wrong but everything gets processed in the cloud, every last bit, with the only processing done on your device being the handling of streaming it in. Which is why a good internet connection is actually pretty important, it sends the input signals, and receives the video and audio feed.
I bet that when their servers aren't serving games they're probably mining bitcoin.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Those that like playing games have probably heard about cloud gaming. Initially I was very fond of it, having a dinosaur computer (8-9 years old) so performance have always been an issue for me when it comes to games.

For everything else I use it for, mostly graphic works, surfing the net etc. its doing rather well in terms of what I need. So not being all to keen on buying a new computer, if I don't really have to. I thought that cloud gaming was the perfect solution as I would not have to think about hardware anymore.

However a month ago or so, I bought a new graphic card, not an expensive one roughly 280$ or so and threw that in my computer. And as it is now, I can pretty much play all games I have tried so far on ultra with no issues.

The reason obviously being that most modern 3d games, will use the GPU rather than the CPU. Since I haven't upgraded my computer much in those 8-9 years. I was really surprised that simply changing the graphic card had such a huge impact, as I assumed that it would help slightly given the age of the rest of the computer.

However since that at least in my opinion is a very small investment over such a long period of time, I kind of changed my view on cloud gaming, why should I care to buy a subscription, when my own computer can run the games just fine.

Have anyone else given this any thoughts?

(Ps. Want to add, that I buy computers based on my graphic works, games etc. are just secondary. Which means that I am considering buying a Ryzen 9 for that reason only, but even then Im a bit in a dark zone, because it seems that GPU rendering is outperforming CPU rendering as well. And buying a Ryzen would require a lot more upgrades as well, which would obviously not be as cheap as simply buying a graphic card.... but anyway that is just me thinking out loud :D)
Now that Im in a place with internet fast enough for it, I kind of like it. I don't have any regular subscriptions, but every once in awhile it feels like "video game rental plus." Sort of like how my occasional slurge in a video streaming subscription is basically the the price of renting a few movies and getting way more than a few for way longer than the weekend.