• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Closing of the 9/11 Memorial Museum

pearl

Our daughter called me and was truly upset over this. I think she actually is left with a survivor's guilt.
She lived in NJ at the time but worked in NY. She either took the ferry or the train to work. She equates it with the thought of closing the Vietnam War Memorial in DC.

The 9/11 Tribute Museum in Lower Manhattan opened back in 2017 to commemorate the thousands of people who perished during the attack. Now, the 9/11 Museum is set to close its doors for good this week. The iconic monument is closing due to its inability to rebound after many pandemic hiccups.
Iconic New York City Museum Shutting Down Permanently (msn.com)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I hope your daughter is able to process it and move on. She has my best wishes, for what little that is worth.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Our daughter called me and was truly upset over this. I think she actually is left with a survivor's guilt.
She lived in NJ at the time but worked in NY. She either took the ferry or the train to work. She equates it with the thought of closing the Vietnam War Memorial in DC.

The 9/11 Tribute Museum in Lower Manhattan opened back in 2017 to commemorate the thousands of people who perished during the attack. Now, the 9/11 Museum is set to close its doors for good this week. The iconic monument is closing due to its inability to rebound after many pandemic hiccups.
Iconic New York City Museum Shutting Down Permanently (msn.com)

The article draws a distinction between this museum and the 9/11 Memorial and Museum which is not closing:

The 9/11 Museum will continue its presence online instead of at its Greenwich Village location. The online memorial will provide educational resources for those wanting to know more about the families who’ve been affected by the crisis. The site will also offer external resources for visitors who wish to continue funding the families in question. The 9/11 Memorial and Museum, which is different from the actual museum, will still be located at ground zero and have no plans to be scrapped in the future.

There's the 9/11 Museum and the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
She equates it with the thought of closing the Vietnam War Memorial in DC.

I would be interested to know what Vietnamese who lost family or friends at the hands of American forces would think of that. A memorial for the victims of a terrorist attack seems to me a far cry from one dedicated to those who fought, coerced or not, in an unnecessary war of aggression that is essentially no different from the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Nevertheless, I wish your daughter the best in processing her feelings about this. I imagine survivor's guilt can't be easy to deal with at all.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would be interested to know what Vietnamese who lost family or friends at the hands of American forces would think of that. A memorial for the victims of a terrorist attack seems to me a far cry from one dedicated to those who fought, coerced or not, in an unnecessary war of aggression that is essentially no different from the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Nevertheless, I wish your daughter the best in processing her feelings about this. I imagine survivor's guilt can't be easy to deal with at all.
The memorialization of cannon fodder is, in truth, a complex issue. On the other hand, any equivalency drawn between 9/11 on the one hand and the war in Viet Nam on the other is deeply flawed. Furthermore, while I've never been to the Vietnam War Memorial, I would be shocked if it paid anything close to appropriate homage to those slaughtered in Bush's War on Terror in Iraq.