• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Close to the edge

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Has anyone else enjoyed this 1972 album?

Yes - 1972 - long before the era of CD & PC & Ipod & YouTube :)

Here are some of the lyrics if you are interested and I may include a YouTube link -

The time between the notes
Relates the color to the scenes
A constant vogue of triumphs
Dislocate man, so it seems
And space between the focus
Shape ascend knowledge of love
As song and chance develop time
Lost social temperance rules above

Ah, ah

Then according to the man
Who showed his outstretched arm to space
He turned around and pointed
Revealing all the human race
I shook my head and smiled a whisper
Knowing all about the place

Yes – Close to the Edge Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

I still enjoy listening to it all these years later!

Enjoy!

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
Yep, I'm a Yes fan. Their early stuff is so good. Prog rock has changed a lot since those days but they certainly set their mark in the Symphonic area of Prog Rock.
Their cool syncopated rhythms and jazzy chord changes. The 6/8 opening pattern with the solos and arpeggios going on all at once always gives me an instant smile.
Do you happen to like bands like King Crimson, Zappa, Henry Cow, Univers Zero too? :D

Altfish

Veteran Member
I started to go off Yes around the time of this album; they got too far from my comfort zone. Tales from the Topographical Ocean was one of the reasons punk happened (IMHO)!!
Saw them live just after Rick Wakeman joined

PureX

Veteran Member
They were never my 'cup of tea', really. They were too much in the head, and not enough in the body, for my taste. Their music just felt chaotic and clever, to me. But I can see how it would appeal to others. And their contribution to the creativity of the time is undeniable.

tas8831

Got into Yes in 1979 the first time I heard "I've seen All Good People' on the radio. CttE was my first Yes album. Have seen them 5 times, including their first and only gig in Vermont. I still listen to And You and I 3-4 times a week, and every now I then, I still pick up something that I hadn't noticed before. Incredible.
I must say that from 90210 on, I lost interest....
As an aside, I have been listening to a lot of 'isolated' tracks, like this one of Kaye and Bruford on Starship Trooper - Kaye, I think, was a bit under-appreciated:

sealchan

Big Yes fan here. My favorite rock band.

My favorite of their epic songs are...
  • Close To The Edge
  • The Remembering
  • Ritual
  • The Gates of Delirium
  • Awaken
  • That, That Is
Discovered them as a young teenager when 90125 came out...gradually discovered (in the days before the internet) the whole progressive rock thing...and then rediscovered it through ProgArchives after the internet!

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
I started to go off Yes around the time of this album; they got too far from my comfort zone. Tales from the Topographical Ocean was one of the reasons punk happened (IMHO)!!

Really? well, 90125 that the first one that crossed my "comfort zone".

Tales is one of their best:

The Yes Album
Close to the Edge
Tales from Topographic Oceans
Relayer
Drama

Their five best :cool:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Yep, I'm a Yes fan. Their early stuff is so good. Prog rock has changed a lot since those days but they certainly set their mark in the Symphonic area of Prog Rock.
Their cool syncopated rhythms and jazzy chord changes. The 6/8 opening pattern with the solos and arpeggios going on all at once always gives me an instant smile.
Do you happen to like bands like King Crimson, Zappa, Henry Cow, Univers Zero too? :D

Thanks for the suggestions - I may be off to youtube to check em out ...

I also like Tangerine Dream - esp Rubycon. That was also about 40 years ago or more!

Cheers!

Altfish

Veteran Member
Really? well, 90125 that the first one that crossed my "comfort zone".

Tales is one of their best:

The Yes Album
Close to the Edge
Tales from Topographic Oceans
Relayer
Drama

Their five best :cool:
Oh, it was purely personal. I needed fast, loud, short, exciting stuff. Yes weren't doing it for me.

tas8831

Big Yes fan here. My favorite rock band.

My favorite of their epic songs are...
  • Close To The Edge
  • The Remembering
  • Ritual
  • The Gates of Delirium
  • Awaken
  • That, That Is
Discovered them as a young teenager when 90125 came out...gradually discovered (in the days before the internet) the whole progressive rock thing...and then rediscovered it through ProgArchives after the internet!
The last 6 minutes or so (the 'Soon' part) of Gates on Yesshows - still makes my hair stand up... Incredible.