• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clinton's impeachment

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I don't remember "rape" ever being mentioned regarding Lewinsky.
Where he really got in hot water was lying about the sex with her,
& then making himself look even worse with this statement....
"It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

But again, his impeachment was about the Jones case, not Lewinsky.

Of course the question was why was the Lewinsky affair germane to the case. One bill that Clinton signed into law was one making it legal to dig into a the past sexual history of a person accused of sexual harassment. It was later found to be unconstitutional, if I remember correctly. But at the time it was still in effect, which is why they went on a witch hunt for bills actions with any woman. He lied under oath about the Lewinsky affair and that was how they at least got the impeachment to pass. It was a classic case of being hoisted by one's own petard.

Milton Platt

There's a problem because Wikipedia says Clinton was impeached because of perjury and obstruction.

But the only thing I remember him going to court for was to talk about Monica Lewinsky and he lied about her so that was perjury.

But if it's not against the law to have an affair then why was he dragged into court 2 testify about his affair?
I don't know....but if you tell lies (perjury) to prevent justice from being carried out,isn't that obstructing?

Bob the Unbeliever

Of course the question was why was the Lewinsky affair germane to the case. One bill that Clinton signed into law was one making it legal to dig into a the past sexual history of a person accused of sexual harassment. It was later found to be unconstitutional, if I remember correctly. But at the time it was still in effect, which is why they went on a witch hunt for bills actions with any woman. He lied under oath about the Lewinsky affair and that was how they at least got the impeachment to pass. It was a classic case of being hoisted by one's own petard.

Phrasing: The impeachment did not, in fact, pass-- it was voted down, and the GOP was furious.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Phrasing: The impeachment did not, in fact, pass-- it was voted down, and the GOP was furious.

My phrasing was correct, and the impeachment did pass. An impeachment is roughly equivalent to an indictment. The House impeached Clinton. Once the House voted for impeachment Clinton was in fact "impeached". That does not mean that he was kicked out of office. Not all people that are indicted are found guilty. But even if they are later not found to be guilty they still have been indicted. The "trial" phase is then held in the Senate. He was not found guilty in the Senate, and yes the GOP was furious:

Impeachment in the United States - Wikipedia

Bill Clinton was the 17th public official impeached in the U.S.. Seven out of nineteen officials were acquitted, Clinton was the most recent one acquitted.

Bob the Unbeliever

Lying on its own is not enough to impeach a president, nor is being criminally stupid. That means Trump is safe for now.

One of the funnier things someone once observed, re: the trump Drama?

Is that it is highly likely trump and Melana have a pre-nup.

And it is now becoming painfully clear, that trump had an extra-marial affair while he was married to Melana.

I betcha that ruins several (if not most) clauses in the pre-nup agreement....

... I'm just waiting for the divorce announcement, myself. And? It would take trump's finances ..... very public.

If this wasn't real life, it'd be laughed out of the green room if proposed as a script for a soap opera....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Indeed. We took off of work, to watch on Live TV, the vote on Clinton's impeachment process. He was acquitted by that vote. The GOP has never gotten over that loss.
And the Dems have never gotten over the impeachment.
But this is good.
Politicians should fear prosecution for illegal behavior.
It's the only way to keep'm (mostly) honest.
Investigations of Trump are good for this reason too.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
One of the funnier things someone once observed, re: the trump Drama?

Is that it is highly likely trump and Melana have a pre-nup.

And it is now becoming painfully clear, that trump had an extra-marial affair while he was married to Melana.

I betcha that ruins several (if not most) clauses in the pre-nup agreement....

... I'm just waiting for the divorce announcement, myself. And? It would take trump's finances ..... very public.

If this wasn't real life, it'd be laughed out of the green room if proposed as a script for a soap opera....
Ahem, "an" affair? And since Trump clearly has no ability to keep it in his pants I wonder if he somehow would have written an exemption for his cheating. Melana does not ever look to happy to be with him. I think she knows what she got herself into and is regretting it.

Bob the Unbeliever

And the Dems have never gotten over the impeachment.
But this is good.
Politicians should fear prosecution for illegal behavior.
It's the only way to keep'm (mostly) honest.
Investigations of Trump are good for this reason too.

Agreed. I think we need even more transparency in our politicians.

In fact? I would be in favor of a NASCAR style of doing:

All -- repeat -- ALL politicians when out in Public, are required to wear Patronage Jumpsuits. Even the women.

On each Jumpsuit, is sewn a patch commemorating one of their sponsors. The larger the contribution? The bigger the patch. If there is no more room? Only the highest contributors are used-- start with the biggest, and go down from there.

And we need this to be clear-- ignore corporate cut-outs-- go back to the source. Include the PAC monies-- all of it.

Bob the Unbeliever

Ahem, "an" affair? And since Trump clearly has no ability to keep it in his pants I wonder if he somehow would have written an exemption for his cheating. Melana does not ever look to happy to be with him. I think she knows what she got herself into and is regretting it.

You may be correct---- she *was* an illegal alien after all, and was desperate to get to the USA legally.

I expect she is reconsidering her deal, though, and perhaps regretting some Bad Life Choices.

As horrible the tRump is in public? Can you imagine how abusive he would be in private?

On the third paw, the tRump has a doughy, overstuffed fatty body. He's so outta shape, you could easily mistake him for a bean bag chair. Whereas Melana is still pretty buff-- and the clothing she wears leaves nothing--repeat-- nothing to the imagination.

I expect she could kick tRumpy's overstuffed azz with relative ease...

.... no WONDER the tRump has to pay for sex!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
for what?
For violating the emoluments clause, if nothing else.

He's still enriching himself personally from foreign governments via his companies.

There was a recent lawsuit about it. It was thrown out, but only because the judge ruled that the plaintiffs didn't have standing and that Congress, not the courts, should be the ones to ajudicate:

Judge dismisses suits claiming Trump violated emoluments clause

Edit: here's a more thorough list of all the things that have been cited in impeachment bills against him. So far, none have been approved by the House:

Here are all the ways Trump has been accused of violating the Constitution

esmith

Veteran Member

He's still enriching himself personally from foreign governments via his companies.

There was a recent lawsuit about it. It was thrown out, but only because the judge ruled that the plaintiffs didn't have standing and that Congress, not the courts, should be the ones to ajudicate:

Judge dismisses suits claiming Trump violated emoluments clause

Edit: here's a more thorough list of all the things that have been cited in impeachment bills against him. So far, none have been approved by the House:

Here are all the ways Trump has been accused of violating the Constitution
Yeah a real funny read that after looking at the first one or two I rolled out of my chair because I was laughing so hard. Stopped reading because I could hurt myself falling out again. Lucky I wasn't drinking my coffee at the time.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Which could be "quid pro quo", and this is what Kushner especially might have gotten involved in.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yeah a real funny read that after looking at the first one or two I rolled out of my chair because I was laughing so hard. Stopped reading because I could hurt myself falling out again. Lucky I wasn't drinking my coffee at the time.
So do you disagree with the allegations or do you not think that they're impeachment-worthy?