• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Chaos: Extreme heat, wildfires, record-setting storms

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Got any good news?

Here's an anecdote for you.

There's a truck I've seen a few times in my neighborhood. He doesn't live here, I'm pretty sure he's some kind of agent. I've never seen more than one person in it.

The truck is massive. V8. Four doors. Long bed. Dually.
It's tail is plastered with bumper stickers.

My daughter is an honor student at ******
My son is ....

(Both are about some Christian academy.)

Jesus Saves!
Abortion stops a beating heart!
Trump 2020!

And here's the kicker. It's the biggest sticker on the whole truck.

I'm proud of my carbon footprint!

Yeah. That's the America I live in.
Tom

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jesus Saves!
Trump 2020!

Tom
Yep, and there's even more.

When asked why they take this position on abortion, the usual response is something like "Because I'm pro-life!". But is that the only pro-life issue in reality? What about their belief in capital punishment when we have jails and prisons that can do the job of removing murderers from society and yet still preserving life? What about climate change that has the potential of killing mass numbers of people worldwide? What about income disparity that creates poverty and has the effect of shortening people's lives, especially the poor? What about avoiding war at almost all costs instead of glamorizing it? What about Trump's terribly inept response to the covid virus that has probably led to the premature death of tens of thousands Americans? Etc.?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
When asked why they take this position on abortion, the usual response is something like "Because I'm pro-life!".
I'm quite sure you've read enough of my posts to know that I am a much more hardcore Prolifer than most conservative Christians.
Tom

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm quite sure you've read enough of my posts to know that I am a much more hardcore Prolifer than most conservative Christians.
Tom
If you're interested, I finished a book last week that covers this quite well, and it's "The Immoral Majority: Why Evangelicals Choose Political Power over Christian Values" by Ben Howe. He has been and still is an Evangelical, but one who is terribly upset with the majority of other Evangelicals, including so many of their preachers, with their mixing in right-wing secular politics with their religious beliefs to the point whereas for the average congregant it's now the former that is more important, and he has the stats to show this.

So, what these preachers do is to use abortion as a "wedge issue" as if that's the only real pro-life one. The irony is that some of these preachers know that it isn't the only pro-life issue in reality but they can't mention the other ones without upsetting many of their congregation-- that's unless they preach right-wing political positions on them.

Basically, Howe believes that these secular positions are hurting Evangelicals in the long run because they come off as being totally "out there", if you know what I mean.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Ya, I hear ya, and I've been thinking of starting a thread on it, so thanks for the recommendation.
Sometimes I feel like putting my dick in the blender.

I consider starting threads like "How Feminism is destroying Western Culture".

But I don't do it, you'll notice.
It wasn't a recommendation.
Tom

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's an anecdote for you.

There's a truck I've seen a few times in my neighborhood. He doesn't live here, I'm pretty sure he's some kind of agent. I've never seen more than one person in it.

The truck is massive. V8. Four doors. Long bed. Dually.
It's tail is plastered with bumper stickers.

My daughter is an honor student at ******
My son is ....

(Both are about some Christian academy.)

Jesus Saves!
Trump 2020!

Tom
Four doors and a long bed? Do they make those?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually 4x4...
Richmond
$19,995
4 days ago
View car
Year
Four doors and a long bed? Do they make those?

I'm trying to get the pic.
upload_2020-9-15_16-20-49.png

Best I can do.

Maybe you want something longer and bigger.

And not so "white".

I'm sure there's Big Black Cars available. :rolleyes:

Tom

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually 4x4...
Richmond
$19,995
4 days ago
View car
Year

Maybe you want something longer and bigger.
Tom
Smaller and longer. ;)
78.7" doesn't sound like a long bed to me. It won't even hold a standard 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall without the tailgate down.

When I moved here from Baltimore -- with a U-Haul trailer -- it was in a little, 4-cylinder, Mazda pickup -- with a full, 8 foot bed.
A lot of things people call trucks these days are just sedans with uncovered trunks, if you ask me; status markers, not real utility vehicles.:rolleyes:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
78.7" doesn't sound like a long bed to me. It won't even hold a standard 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall without the tailgate down.
Yeah.
I remember the good ole days.
My dad had 4 cars(not trucks) over the decades of my childhood into which you could put a 4×8 sheet and close it. Huge Chevy and Ford passenger station wagons.
Sigh. The good ole days....
Tom