• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change

KW

And I've posted many times scientific sources that clearly show that we're in a period of global warming that has dire consequences if we can't bring it under control. Even our own DoD here in the States has issued warnings as such and how it can further lead to substantial suffering and conflict.

And the Church through PF's encyclical based on established science also says as such.

No, there is no evidence of dire consequences. We have been warming since the 1700s as part of the natural warming and cooling cycle which is dependent on solar activity.

Antarctica's last 6 months were the coldest on record - CNN

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Coldest place on earth reaches record cold winter temperatures?

How did that happen? Cold air from the tropics?

Don't be so gullible.
Nope, I am not the gullible one here. You do not even understand how the rather easy to understand and totally non-controversial Greenhouse Effect works.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Facts annoy you, I can see.

If you don't accept facts, you won't reach the right conclusion.

No, facts do not annoy me. Why would they? You do not understand how that could have happened. I do. You do not appear to want to learn. I do want to learn. I can easily explain how that could have happened and the odds are that your link might even have an explanation in it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, facts do not annoy me. Why would they? You do not understand how that could have happened. I do. You do not appear to want to learn. I do want to learn. I can easily explain how that could have happened and the odds are that your link might even have an explanation in it.
Oh my! We have to have an award for shooting one's own foot here. @KW just did that. I was able to figure out a reason for the extreme cold and I am so happy that I was right. I just wish that I had posted mine before I read this from KW's link:

"The unusual cold was attributed to two extended periods of stronger-than-average encircling winds around the continent, which tend to isolate the ice sheet from warmer conditions," the NSIDC explained. "A strong upper-atmosphere polar vortex was observed as well, leading to a significant ozone hole. The ozone hole appears to have peaked as of this post, with initial measurements reporting that it is in the upper quartile (top 25 percent) of ozone reduction events since 1979."

Let me try to explain this more. Usually there is always at least some mixing of air between the Antarctic and surrounding areas. That keeps Antarctica warmer. But this last year it had encircling winds that prevented the warm air from elsewhere getting into Antarctica. So instead of getting colder and then warming up a bit now and then during the winter, it just got colder and colder and colder.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'll just post facts. You can try to convince us of your great understanding.

Actual weather station data:

What the Stations Say (john-daly.com)
KW, the article that you linked for me earlier explained to you why it got so cold.

You confirmed that you do not understand weather patterns.

And try to find reliable sources. Your personal source does not appear to be reliable. There are valid sources that you can use to present the data.

KW

Oh my! We have to have an award for shooting one's own foot here. @KW just did that. I was able to figure out a reason for the extreme cold and I am so happy that I was right. I just wish that I had posted mine before I read this from KW's link:

"The unusual cold was attributed to two extended periods of stronger-than-average encircling winds around the continent, which tend to isolate the ice sheet from warmer conditions," the NSIDC explained. "A strong upper-atmosphere polar vortex was observed as well, leading to a significant ozone hole. The ozone hole appears to have peaked as of this post, with initial measurements reporting that it is in the upper quartile (top 25 percent) of ozone reduction events since 1979."

Let me try to explain this more. Usually there is always at least some mixing of air between the Antarctic and surrounding areas. That keeps Antarctica warmer. But this last year it had encircling winds that prevented the warm air from elsewhere getting into Antarctica. So instead of getting colder and then warming up a bit now and then during the winter, it just got colder and colder and colder.

The antarctic has been cooling since 1998. Sorry, your propaganda isn't working. It's not just one winter.

Recent Warming and Cooling in the Antarctic Peninsula Region has Rapid and Large Effects on Lichen Vegetation | Scientific Reports (nature.com)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh, so you think that the DoD and PF just flipped a coin and went by that?

BTW, changes with solar have already been discounted by cosmologists.
You should go to his link. It explains why and how it got so cold.

foot.jpg

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
But climate change does not refer to heat only, we had both last year, more than two heat waves and also one of the coldest winters we've ever had.

So… I can expect more extreme weather. I love extreme weather. Nothing makes me feel more alive.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
No, there is no evidence of dire consequences. We have been warming since the 1700s as part of the natural warming and cooling cycle which is dependent on solar activity.

OK, so are you essentially saying that both the DoD and Pope Francis are either ignorant on these matters and/or are lying? Is the right-wing secular media more accurate on matters of science and ethics than the Pope, for example?

You can post article after article on Antarctica because citing one example that has already been explained is nothing short of sheer nonsense.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand weather patterns.

Please explain how the coldest place on earth reaches record cold temperatures as a result of dramatic warming.

This is not arctic air cooling the UK. This is recored cold in the antarctic.
Explained
Electricity and Climate Change

FYI : I teach graduate level course on climatology. Perhaps you should take one?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Explained
Electricity and Climate Change

FYI : I teach graduate level course on climatology. Perhaps you should take one?
Cool! I used to argue against climate change, but I have this terrible habit of reading the evidence presented against me.

I had to award @KW an award for shooting his own foot because an article he linked refuted his own claim with the explanation that I was ready to use.