• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change: Schools of China

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Seems odd. To me anyways.
Like they may be setting themselves up to be kicked off the super-power list and their economy whacked in the future, because doing more is a part of embracing this future, and nations that get left behind with fossil fuels are going to suffer.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Children in China learn Beijing’s version of the climate change story

• Authorities want students to support green campaigns, but for their activism to stop at lowering their carbon footprints
  • Scripted lessons and censorship mean broad acceptance of the dangers of climate change and little impetus to push for more aggressive policies

Global Warming and Climate Change are based on factual science. What China does is what China does, and is not meaningful as far as the reality of our warming world due to human causes.

Though in recent history China has made significant advances in alternative energy source.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not surprised that is the case. It's just their not do anything about it seems odd. We're at a point where sustainable energy and being "clean 'n green" is the future, and it seems to me getting a head start is highly advantageous.
Such as, we may potentially one day have sufficient oil left, but prices could jump sky high if production is significantly scaled back because green energies are a majority of our energy sources. This would be crippling for nations still heavily relying on crude oil.
I'm sure they have their reasons, but I have a hard time seeing any long-term gains from them doing this.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Being 'green' fits in with China's desire for power because many nations now understand that 'green' is good. But really becoming green is disruptive and the one thing the rulers of China hate is change which might theoretically upset their rule.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
In a way, I do kinda agree with some aspects of China's view about "carbon footprints." I agree with reducing methane and such, but I don't see carbon dioxide as a pollutant. It's the main gate to carbon sinks, so I would work on ways to lower carbon pollutants and other pollutants in order to boost the natural carbon sinks of vegetation, soil, and oceans.

Bear Wild

Children in China learn Beijing’s version of the climate change story

• Authorities want students to support green campaigns, but for their activism to stop at lowering their carbon footprints
  • Scripted lessons and censorship mean broad acceptance of the dangers of climate change and little impetus to push for more aggressive policies

It unfortunately seems that humans are doomed to learn the hard way. It seems that only when there is mass starvation, devastating destruction of habitable land, and mass extinction will humans be forced to make the needed changes. It is interesting that China uses this technique to mask their lack of genuine responsibility since culturally the society tends to be more important than the individual thus place the burden on the members of the society and not the government. It is the opposite in the US were individuality is seen as important sometimes over the society especially in the right political wing. So we have those in the US who see the needs of the induvial as more important than the social group and there current needs to produce excessive CO2 is their right so they must ignore the facts about climate change (the climate change hoax based on fake news). Neither of these approaches are helpful for the survival of the human race.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
In my opinion, this isn't really markedly different from how we teach our kids about global warming and environmental issues, but at the same time try our very best to make them stop their activism at the level of individual consumer choice, in order to prevent them from every thinking about effecting systemic change.

Hierarchical systems of power tend to resist meaningful changes to the status quo, and it's especially stark when watching how capitalist systems built on the exploitation of natural resources deal with environmental issues.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Eh... Solar and wind farms are growing in popularity. The prices are dropping low enough where folks can make a nice profit on dedicating their property to generating their own energy and selling it to the power companies.

The march of progress moves ever on, and it leaves those in the dust who don't adapt. China will catch up sooner or later; coal is old technology, and it's stagnating. :)

Audie

Veteran Member
In a way, I do kinda agree with some aspects of China's view about "carbon footprints." I agree with reducing methane and such, but I don't see carbon dioxide as a pollutant. It's the main gate to carbon sinks, so I would work on ways to lower carbon pollutants and other pollutants in order to boost the natural carbon sinks of vegetation, soil, and oceans.

Boost the ocean as a carbon sink?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Boost the ocean as a carbon sink?
If in the form of carbon dioxide, say goodbye to critters
with shells, which cannot survive in the more acidic water.
giphy.gif

crossfire

Premium Member
giphy.gif
The very slightest electrical current is enough to help these critters pull the carbon and the calcium from the water to form shells. You can do a google scholar search for studies about this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

crossfire

Premium Member
I prefer naturally forming reefs to engineered ones,
which are spendy things with questionable durability.
Well, until the actual pollutants that are causing these critters grief get cleaned up to the point where natural forming reefs can occur, this is one stop-gap measure we can do to help jump-start this important carbon sink. We can also plant more green plants and do things to help speed up the carbon sink into the soil, as well. (As we work to clean up the real pollutants at the same time.)

Audie

Veteran Member
Corals etc are having a hard time as it is.

Warm water holds less dissolved gas so
maybe that will save them.

Audie

Veteran Member
Well, until the actual pollutants that are causing these critters grief get cleaned up to the point where natural forming reefs can occur, this is one stop-gap measure we can do to help jump-start this important carbon sink. We can also plant more green plants and do things to help speed up the carbon sink into the soil, as well. (As we work to clean up the real pollutants at the same time.)

Its got too much carbon now.
This electric thing might help in a tiny way,
the ocean of 330,000,000 cubic miles.