• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change Hypocrisy

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I realize that at this point the major lobbying has been to advance the interest of the oil and gas corporations. My concern though, is that the same lobbying tactics will take place with alternative energy by the same investors who just switch or expand their corporate interests and wealth at the expense of the lower and middle classes around the world.

For example: do you own a home? What if new green requirements are enacted by governments partnering with “green” corporations and you must revamp your entire home to have it quality in meeting these standards, in order to have home insurance? What if you can’t afford to do this and you lose your insurance and maybe your home. What if you and lots of other average people have to sell their homes to multinational investment corporations that buy up properties? These huge corporate entities can afford to pay for costs of green energy upgrades, but what about all the people who can’t.
You are saying a lot of what if things. None of this has happened or is likely to happen. Till now all laws have been focused on new buildings and in some cases paying money to communities to refurbish old buildings. Fears of things that are not happening or being planned at all to prevent policies which staves off a global disaster is a very strange outlook.
You have seen the property damage caused by more intense winter storms, wild fires and floods happening in the world and USA, correct? Those losses to homes and properties due to global warming are actually happening and is going to increase rapidly as the warming proceeds. Should we not try to prevent that?

muhammad_isa

I seriously do not think that this is a case of corruption by the government. The government can urge people to buy local until their faces turn blue. It won't do any good if the same product is available for half the price if it comes from China.

It is not market manipulation. It is just China emerging and becoming a First World Country. Don't worry, the same thing happened with Japan after WWII. They found that for a while they could make products that were more reliable and cheaper than other countries could and they wrecked havoc with their car and electronic industries. Eventually things even out. But China is so big that it may take a while.

I think it is more subtle than that.
It is all about economics and the global financial system.
[ which you rightly say in your next post is about the power of corporate bodies, many of them in the fossil-fuel sector ]

However, politicians [ especially wealthy ones ], have a moral duty to tell us the truth.
It is about "unreasonable profit"
i.e. money earned by doing nothing [ manipulation of money ]

Jesus, for example, drove such people out of the temple, and the sanhedrin [ those in authority ], had him arrested a week later.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They don't do it. Why should I?
Because a good idea doesn't magically become a bad idea just because a hypocrite says it's good.

You're suggesting a very strange mindset. I mean, if it turned out that Dave Ramsay had blown all his money and was funding his lifestyle with a mountain of debt, would turn around and say "aha! Now I'm going to blow all my savings, too! That'll show him!"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For example: do you own a home? What if new green requirements are enacted by governments partnering with “green” corporations and you must revamp your entire home to have it quality in meeting these standards, in order to have home insurance? What if you can’t afford to do this and you lose your insurance and maybe your home. What if you and lots of other average people have to sell their homes to multinational investment corporations that buy up properties? These huge corporate entities can afford to pay for costs of green energy upgrades, but what
There's a voluntary home retrofit program being launched in my area. It's being set up so that you pay for the package over many years (20, IIRC) as an increase to your property taxes (so that if you sell your house, you aren't stuck having paid for the full cost of something that someone else gets the benefit of), and the payments are less than the savings on your utility bill you'll get from the increased energy efficiency.

IOW, the retrofits never actually increase the net monthly cost to the homeowner. There's a small decrease in costs right away, followed by a big decrease in costs once the retrofits are paid off.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Because a good idea doesn't magically become a bad idea just because a hypocrite says it's good.

You're suggesting a very strange mindset. I mean, if it turned out that Dave Ramsay had blown all his money and was funding his lifestyle with a mountain of debt, would turn around and say "aha! Now I'm going to blow all my savings, too! That'll show him!"
No its observation of self preservation.

Unless you wholeheartedly admit that unafraid fatalistic people are the ones who are continually preferred as leaders, I'm just going with the impression that the urgency just isn't as serious they try so very hard to make it out to be.

Lead by example, or don't lead at all.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Unless you wholeheartedly admit that unafraid fatalistic people are the ones who are continually preferred as leaders, I'm just going with the impression that the urgency just isn't as serious they try so very hard to make it out to be.

Sounds like you have a lot of unjustified faith in the judgement of politicians.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

For the leaders it is not serious. They are all rich and old. Just like the economic crisis, a climate change induced disasters will affect them the least.
Not case for you or me though.....

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Just to show that it is not all bleak out there. \There have been advances made This video is mainly about South Australia. Who when under a liberal government implemented a massive renewable energy source program. Then they fell out of power and the conservatives took over:eek::eek: Did they dismantle the project as they threatened to do in its early days? Watch and find out:

Twilight Hue

For the leaders it is not serious. They are all rich and old. Just like the economic crisis, a climate change induced disasters will affect them the least.
Not case for you or me though.....
I dunno. Statistics put me as likely dead 10 or 15 years from now in light of my health issues.

I see your point with the older ones at least.

Wandering Monk

'Leaders are hypocrites about climate change, therefore they don't believe it's real, therefore climate change is not a real problem that we need to address.'

The mind of a climate change denier.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why would one supposedly have to revamp their home, especially since there are what's called "grandfather clauses"? No one can force you to replace your gas stove with an electric one for example.

Twilight Hue

'Leaders are hypocrites about climate change, therefore they don't believe it's real, therefore climate change is not a real problem that we need to address.'

The mind of a climate change denier.

"The mind of a person who first projects and later assumes, and cannot distinguish any real observational truths via exemplified leadership".

InChrist

Free4ever
There's a voluntary home retrofit program being launched in my area. It's being set up so that you pay for the package over many years (20, IIRC) as an increase to your property taxes (so that if you sell your house, you aren't stuck having paid for the full cost of something that someone else gets the benefit of), and the payments are less than the savings on your utility bill you'll get from the increased energy efficiency.

IOW, the retrofits never actually increase the net monthly cost to the homeowner. There's a small decrease in costs right away, followed by a big decrease in costs once the retrofits are paid off.
Thank you for sharing the that information.