• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Click here for happiness!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Spiritual traps ego -

Though many of us may have a love-hate relationship with our ego, it’s necessary to remember that it serves an important spiritual role. In the positive, it gives us a distinct personal identity that helps us fulfill our life purpose, allowing us to share unique soul gifts with the world while working out our karma.

In the negative, the ego fools us into becoming overly identified with our bodies, thoughts and emotions. This attachment tricks us into believing we are fundamentally separate from God, one another and even our own souls, which leads to suffering. Over time, enough profound suffering eventually leads us back to God, completing the cycle.

The Spiritual Ego Trap | Spirituality & Health

Also a free e-book wisdom from animals???

https://storage.googleapis.com/spirituality-health/files/Downloads/SH_PetLove_LeadMagnet.pdf

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Love lessons from pets -

We humans tend to have many complex thoughts rattling around in our minds at all times. "What are we going to have for dinner?" "What did my partner mean when they said that?" "Why hasn't my boss responded to that email?" Pretty soon, we've worked ourselves up into a frenzy, and we don't even notice the world around us.

Dogs, meanwhile, live in the moment. "I am walking with my wonderful human," they seem to be thinking. "I have picked up an excellent stick. Look, grass! Grass is so beautiful. Squirrel!" Dogs are true masters in the art of mindfulness, and they can inspire us to fully take in each moment as well.

15 Amazing Life Lessons You Can Learn From Your Dog | Best Life

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Click here happiness strengths -

Many happiness seekers have read dozens of articles on happiness yet they don’t feel closer to creating the happiness they desire in their lives. Reading about the practices that increase happiness is a great first step. But one thing that you may not have heard is this:

You can increase your happiness by turning your "happiness weaknesses" into "happiness strengths."

To turn your weaknesses into strengths, you need a plan.

Comes from a familiar blog - links in text as well -

What Are Your Happiness Strengths and Weaknesses?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Is happiness overrated?

I don't know if it is. On one hand, what could anyone want more than happiness? Isn't happiness what we're after? Don't we do all those things we do hoping for happiness as an end result, a mainlined dose of congratulations?

Maybe not. I started mulling this over after reading a New Yorker review of a biography of Koestler, who was no happiness fan. Nor was Freud, of course, who said the two aims of life were love and work (or, more precisely, sex and ambition). Freud also famously quipped that the most anyone could hope for in this world was what he depressingly called "ordinary unhappiness." So, even good loving and good work did not equal happiness.

Is Happiness Overrated?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From that blog -

A recent post on "real" psychology--as opposed to all the fake or unreal psychology out there--got me thinking. The day we all decide on what real psychology is, is the day psychology dies. Real psychology equals dead-ended, myopic, oversimplification--of subject matter and of methodology. Real psychology is a means-centered approach. That is to say: only psychologists making use of prescribed, narrowly-defined "scientistic" methods are allowed into the fold. All others are touchy-feely, hopelessly subjective trespassers. Such a stance is 1) naive, 2) unhistorical, and 3) regressive.

There is no "real" psychology

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Another of their many blogs listed -

If the truth be told, we’ll rarely refer back to the brain later in the semester. We’ll cover the full range of topics in psychology—behavior, emotions, cognition, development, social influence, personality, intelligence, even abnormal behavior and how to treat it. But in none of these areas do we really have a clear idea how the brain is involved.

Thanks to the development of brain imaging techniques such as fMRI over the last few decades, we certainly know a lot more about the brain now than we used to. Although scientists have been studying the brain for centuries, it wasn’t until they could watch it in action that they finally began to understand how it works.

Is Neuroscience the Future or the End of Psychology?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Plus this one -

The concept of brain plasticity is one that offers hope for those seeking to reverse the tide of aging’s effect on mental processes. This is the idea that brains can be shaped by experiences, including those that promote better brain functioning. If we could only keep our brains in shape, according to the plasticity principle, we could stave off declines in memory, learning, and response time. In other words, can brain training really protect us from aging?

For several decades now, cognitive scientists who study aging have sought the holy grail of brain training approaches. Back in the mid-90s, VA psychologist R.E. Dustman developed his own (rather primitive) videogame and tried to show how playing it could help older adults perform more speedily and found evidence for positive effects.

The Great Brain Training Debate: Who Should You Believe?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
One about anxiety -

Fear and anxiety can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions. Learning not only to cope but to thrive will help you and the people you care about, to be healthier and more resilient. Let’s take a moment to look at anxiety, where it comes from, what the different kinds of anxiety are, how it may be affecting you or someone in your family, as well as some tips for coping with it.

Coping with Fear, Anxiety, and Stress in Today's World

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Many of us prefer the easy road. We possess a natural inclination to stick with the status quo, to resist the unknown, to stay comfortable. It’s tied to our ancestral drive to survive. We’re afraid of trying something new. We want to avoid change, so we don’t push ourselves to the next level. In today’s disruptive and accelerating world, it helps to change your relationship to change and become comfortable being uncomfortable.

We think life is only about creating safety and security and pursuing contentment. These things are important and part of daily life, but life is filled with pleasure and pain, satisfaction and suffering, delight and difficulty. By focusing only on the comfort side of the picture, we cut ourselves off from the full range of human experience—and the knowledge, skills, and empathy that come with the other side.

How to Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable?

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A few more tips badly neeeeded as there is only 2 thousand messages in this thread ...

For most people, life consists of an accumulation of small moments. There are, of course, momentous events that occur in a person’s life that can precipitate a dramatic shift, changing direction, embarking on a new path. Still, everyday life goes on, populated with small, seemingly inconsequential moments. It is in the little things that you can find your joy and boost feelings of happiness. When you allow yourself to be joyful, it’s easier to find joy. While that may sound too good to be true, it works. Feel the deliciousness of descending into cool water in a lake on a hot day. Savor the aroma and taste of a favorite meal and enjoy the presence of loving family. These are the little things that are too often taken for granted, yet they are great contributors to happiness.

15 Ways to Increase Your Happiness

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
More suggestions from recent days -

Lara Heacock at Youtube?

WELLLLLLLLL ... before I plug her name ... a few suggested for me -

Consciousness explained as never before

Story of Red Dwarf

Highlight Heaven (nfl?)

Cheers!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Re-reading "Flourish" and I wonder why I even bother writing! If we all followed Seligman's advice we would be in a happier world - I know that sounds simple-minded ...

Happiness flourishing (Seligman)

Creating your best life

Positive psychology interventions (happiness)

Mindfulness negative thoughts? {from my other current book!}

How to become happier {from a pop-up advert}

Happiness positive changes

Happiness recover from setbacks

Happiness face your fears

Plus Tiny Buddha - menus - could spend all-day-long at that site :)

What does it mean to flourish? As a person, I mean.

We can probably agree that a plant which is healthy and blooming can be said to “flourish,” and that a business that is booming and raking in record profit is “flourishing.” But what does it mean for a human being to flourish?

Some might think of financial success as “flourishing.” Others might think of self-development and growth. You might believe that a person is flourishing when she is happy and content, or when she is learning new things and applying her skills to new challenges.

Flourishing in Positive Psychology: Definition + 8 Practical Tips (PDF)

Enjoy your evening!