• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clerk Kim Davis: Hero or Villian?

A

angellous_evangellous

Kim Davis: Idiot who whose plight is exploited by people who should know better.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I cant call her hero for religious grounds. Nevertless i find her brave woman for standing up to her own beliefs! Well done Kim Davis!

Lots of unsavory people and groups stand for what they believe in and act on it...it doesn't usually change whether the actions, words, etc. are good or bad by whatever system folks are using to judge them by.

Suicide bombers believe in the righteousness of their cause and they slaughter and die while standing up for their beliefs - showing even more commitment than Davis. Is it something we should honor and respect? Results matter most concerning praise and respect that is earned.

Paranoid Android

Lots of unsavory people and groups stand for what they believe in and act on it...it doesn't usually change whether the actions, words, etc. are good or bad by whatever system folks are using to judge them by.

Suicide bombers believe in the righteousness of their cause and they slaughter and die standing up for their beliefs - showing even more commitment than Davis. Is it something we should honor and respect? Results matter most concerning praise and respect that is earned.

But our Counstitution gives the right to religious freedom.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It is the freedom from religion of those couples that Davis denied their rights that is uppermost in my thoughts.

Sees

Dragonslayer
But our Counstitution gives the right to religious freedom.

Every right has limitations...cannibalism or baby-smacking could be part of a religion and we wouldn't put up with it. The problem is when it crosses over into the lives of others in a negative or harmful way. Her religion shouldn't have anything to do with the lives/lifestyles of other people in that county.

Paranoid Android

Every right has limitations...cannibalism or baby-smacking could be part of a religion and we wouldn't put up with it. The problem is when it crosses over into the lives of others in a negative or harmful way. Her religion shouldn't have anything to do with the lives/lifestyles of other people in that county.

But her religion teaches she can't be part of same sex-marriage. I suggest that an accommodation be made, so she doesn't have to marry same-sex couples by marrying NO couples, hetrosexual/straight or gay.

Sees

Dragonslayer
But her religion teaches she can't be part of same sex-marriage. I suggest that an accommodation be made, so she doesn't have to marry same-sex couples by marrying NO couples, hetrosexual/straight or gay.

My personal desire would be for people who have no appreciation for pluralism to go purchase an island somewhere and start their own little colony with all the exclusivism they could possibly want. Then we'd stop spending so much attention on messes like this. Culture clashing ain't going anyway anytime soon though...

It's specifically about making her One True Way into the way things are done....not Davis being forced into actions against her beliefs. That is the smoke and mirrors at work. She wasn't chained to the desk.

Paranoid Android

My personal desire would be for people who have no appreciation for pluralism to go purchase an island somewhere and start their own little colony with all the exclusivism they could possibly want. Then we'd stop spending so much attention on messes like this. Culture clashing ain't going anyway anytime soon though...

It's specifically about making her One True Way into the way things are done....not Davis being forced into actions against her beliefs. That is the smoke and mirrors at work. She wasn't chained to the desk.

I think my suggestion is the most logical. That way, we'd respect her religious beliefs and respect the same sex couples

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

When she aspired to the job of County Clerk, did she think she was going to work for a government which observed Xian dictates?
After all, this is a secular country, & government does many things which rile the fundies.
A reasonable person would expect to accommodate non-Xian practices.
(Note though that many Xian churches even perform gay marriages.)
Her protest strikes me as naught but a tantrum.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I think my suggestion is the most logical. That way, we'd respect her religious beliefs and respect the same sex couples

I'm just not a big fan of altering job descriptions to cater to a person's religious and philosophical positions - unless it's a private business and they do whatever it is they wish, if legal and wanted.

Most especially in cases like this where it seems to be an obvious publicity stunt to support and promote her cause.

Paranoid Android

It's a long slippery slope if you start granting exemptions. You do your job in accordance with the law of the land.

I respect the Counstitution.

I believe that no one should be forced to do anything against their religious counscience. They should be reassigned so they don't have to do anything their religious purposes.

As far as I go, they can lock me up. I won't do anything against my religion, even if they kill me.