• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clearly, God wants us to worship Him, but why should we?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There are two questions I would like you to answer.

1. Since God is fully self-sufficient and fully self- sustaining, omnipotent and omniscient, God does not need humans for anything, so why does God want us to worship Him?

2. Look at these scriptures from various religions. They all say essentially the same thing. God wants us to worship Him, but why should we? What has God done to deserve our worship?

Bhagavad Gita 7.1 The Supreme Lord said: Now listen, O Arjun, how, with the mind attached exclusively to me, and surrendering to me through the practice of bhakti yog, you can know me completely, free from doubt.

Exodus 20:1-3 And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me.”

Matthew 4:10 Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written, “‘You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.’”

“Indeed, I am Allah. There is no God except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.” (Quran 20:14)

“VERILY I am God, no God is there but Me, and aught except Me is but My creation. Say, worship Me then, O ye, My creatures.” Selections From the Writings of the Báb, p. 158

“O kings of the earth! He Who is the sovereign Lord of all is come. The Kingdom is God’s, the omnipotent Protector, the Self-Subsisting. Worship none but God, and, with radiant hearts, lift up your faces unto your Lord, the Lord of all names. This is a Revelation to which whatever ye possess can never be compared, could ye but know it.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 210

Milton Platt

1. Since God is fully self-sufficient and fully self- sustaining, omnipotent and omniscient, God does not need humans for anything, so why does God want us to worship Him?

2. Look at these scriptures from various religions. They all say essentially the same thing. God wants us to worship Him, but why should we? What has God done to deserve our worship?

Bhagavad Gita 7.1 The Supreme Lord said: Now listen, O Arjun, how, with the mind attached exclusively to me, and surrendering to me through the practice of bhakti yog, you can know me completely, free from doubt.

Exodus 20:1-3 And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me.”

Matthew 4:10 Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written, “‘You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.’”

“Indeed, I am Allah. There is no God except Me, so worship Me and establish prayer for My remembrance.” (Quran 20:14)

“VERILY I am God, no God is there but Me, and aught except Me is but My creation. Say, worship Me then, O ye, My creatures.” Selections From the Writings of the Báb, p. 158

“O kings of the earth! He Who is the sovereign Lord of all is come. The Kingdom is God’s, the omnipotent Protector, the Self-Subsisting. Worship none but God, and, with radiant hearts, lift up your faces unto your Lord, the Lord of all names. This is a Revelation to which whatever ye possess can never be compared, could ye but know it.”

Any being worthy of worship would not want it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You have a good point. Such a being would not want it for Himself, but there could be another reason he wants it.
I believe God wants us to worship Him for our own benefit, but I am still trying to figure out how it benefits us, thus this thread.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So far as I understand it, worship (at least some forms of worship) can increase the odds of a person having a mystical experience. If so, that is the only purpose of worship that I can imagine of any use to humans or their gods both. Unless one considers "feeling good" to be a worthwhile purpose. But if that's so, why not just attend a ball game, concert, or movie?

Milton Platt

You have a good point. Such a being would not want it for Himself, but there could be another reason he wants it.
I believe God wants us to worship Him for our own benefit, but I am still trying to figure out how it benefits us, thus this thread.

Thanks for your input. I have no idea why such a being, if it exists, would need someone to stroke it's ego. If it has a legitimate reason, then until it shares such a reason, I will go about my way......

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Turn it around. If You want to worship god and You feel you are worthy of god's presence, blessings, and grace, etc, you'd want to worship him. It would be a desire. If you see yourself limited then asking why would god want your worship would make sense-because you (people in this mindset) are belittling yourself to be worthy of god. And when you don't feel you are worthy of god, you question whether god should be worthy of your attention.

How can I say this.

It's like saying "I am a bad person. Why would anyone like me? I am not worthy of being liked, because I am inherited bad or inherited sinful.

Why does god wants us to worship him?

"I don't deserve god's 'desires' his 'wants'. I'm not worthy of his wishes." (Catch 22)

That's what it looks like. Turn it around.

Why AM I worthy of god's love? Because... i.e. I love others. So that is WHY I will worship god and he wants me to worship him because I give love to others, to god, AND to myself. He wants me to worship him because he wants me to see in myself that I am loved not only by others but by god himself. He wants you to acknowledge him (like a parent) because he is the SOURCE of that love.

Worship meaning you give acknowledge and reverence to someone or something higher or more worthy of respect than yourself. Bowing, etc, are cultural but it all balls down to acknowledgement, reverence, and respect.

I know I'm not a believer or anything, so take it as is. But in my personal understanding of it, this is why god would want you to worship him. I believe we all can grasp other people's spiritual concepts if we took interest.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
New So far as I understand it, worship (at least some forms of worship) can increase the odds of a person having a mystical experience. If so, that is the only purpose of worship that I can imagine of any use to humans or their gods both. Unless one considers "feeling good" to be a worthwhile purpose. But if that's so, why not just attend a ball game, concert, or movie?
Thanks for your input. I never thought of that. Since I do not want to have a mystical experience with God, that would not be a reason for me to worship God. There has got to be a better reason. ;)

I mean if it is THAT important to God that we worship Him, there has to be a reason. I do not do things without a reason and God should not expect me to worship Him just because He said so.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Thanks for your input. I have no idea why such a being, if it exists, would need someone to stroke it's ego. If it has a legitimate reason, then until it shares such a reason, I will go about my way......
I'm with you Milton. As I just told Sunstone, I am not going to worship God unless I have a good reason to do so, and God owes me that since He is the one making the demand. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Turn it around. If You want to worship god and You feel you are worthy of god's presence, blessings, and grace, etc, you'd want to worship him. It would be a desire.
I understand the point you are making, but that would only be true if you sought God's presence, blessings and grace and believed God bestows those upon us. Where is your proof of that?

One cannot feel worthy of something they do not believe exists.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why AM I worthy of god's love? Because... i.e. I love others. So that is WHY I will worship god and he wants me to worship him because I give love to others, to god, AND to myself. He wants me to worship him because he wants me to see in myself that I am loved not only by others but by god himself. He wants you to acknowledge him (like a parent) because he is the SOURCE of that love.
Why should I believe God loves me or others, just because scriptures say so?
I am not that easily convinced. ;)
Let's see some real evidence.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Reverence and adoration deserved is not the kind of worship where people feel blind attachment, and do all kinds of repetitive rituals to appease and satisfy something about God.

To Revere and adore is to know someone very well and have relationship with them in a knowing and deserving way.

Revere is to hold in highest esteem, and to adore is to fervently love someone. If God deserves this then there is nothing ridiculous about giving it.

Maybe reverence and adoration is apart of ideal relationships. The highest form of appreciation. But it certainly isn't blind.

Maybe one day we will be as God is and get reverence and adoration back. For everyone is called to righteousness. And one day we shall become less dependent and moreso equal to that standard of character. Because to me perfect righteousness is way above us.

So God's goal with us is to make truest friends of us. To stand independently and not as children.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It's the people themselves that are stating that God, who clearly lives in the recesses of their minds, wants worship.

No God has ever come out and said anything to that effect. I'll just put the kettle on till a god does come around.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I understand the point you are making, but that would only be true if you sought God's presence, blessings and grace and believed God bestows those upon us. Where is your proof of that?

One cannot feel worthy of something they do not believe exists.

Are you asking these questions on behalf of yourself?

If you are, and assuming you believe god exists, I'm saying that if you turn it around, instead of asking god what are his reasons for believers to worship him, maybe believers would ask are they worthy of being asked to begin with. If they feel they are not worthy of god's grace, etc, then when god asks them to worship him, it would see more of a master/slave relationship (of force) rather than of desire: a want rather than a must.

If you don't believe god exists, I'd agree. It doesn't make sense one cannot feel worthy of something they don't believe exists.

The other question, if you sought god's presence, I'd assume the proof would be how you live your life, the results thereof, your gratitude for the source of your reverence to god and service to others, and answers to prayers. I can't imagine a actual angel or hand touching a person to bless them. It's something you pick up by your lifestyle and worship.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

That reduces the Divine to a 'being'. A round I like is: "The Divine Beloved is always with you, in you and around you. Know you are not separate from Him".

A mystical experience is not necessarily "close to god". Who knows what they are?

Rumi, Hafiz, Kabir, St. Francis of Assisi, Ramana Maharshi, Baal Shem Tov, Milarepa, Papaji, Ramakrishna and many others.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why should I believe God loves me or others, just because scriptures say so?
I am not that easily convinced. ;)
Let's see some real evidence.

Are you asking because other people want you to believe god loves you by scriptures?

Would it not be beneficial to understand how god loves you in the way you are convinced, understand, and experience it?

I'm not sure of real evidence because everyone's relationship with god is different. I'm asking, though. Why would you ask for evidence to be convinced?

Unless it's maybe a philosophical question?
Something to learn from in other people's point of view?

Bird123

Religion is mankind's attempt to understand God. Why do you assume they understand God? Mankind assumes God wants worship.

Is the only knowledge you have acquired about God coming only through the beliefs of others? At what point do facts and truth become more important than beliefs? I say always. Instead of accepting what is served up, discover the truth for yourself. I have found no religion that really understands God. I say following blindly is a big mistake if one wants the truth.

Ok, let me explain a bit and maybe you can see. Mankind values so many petty things. Mankind wants power, to rule, to control, have others bow down, and be important.

Everybody wants to rule the world. Given the chance, how many would break their neck trying to have the power to bend everyone else to their will?

God is above all those petty things. God does not need worship. God doesn't even want worship.

I know it's a hard concept for so many to understand at this level of learning, however God is Unconditional Love. This physical world exists for US. It's time-based causal nature is perfect for learning. It's all for US!!!

Unconditional Love does what is best for the other. It is never selfish, wanting or demanding. God is teaching us all and leading us on the journey to perfection, wisdom and great intelligence. God wants nothing more than our great success.

God's greatest moment is when that light bulb goes off over one of His children's head and they Understand. This can be about any subject.

Want to do something for God? It's not worship!! Be the hungry student throughout your life. All the secrets of the universe stare us all in the face. Knowledge is just waiting for someone to Discover it.

Can you see? The first thing God pointed out to me is that mankind carries such a narrow view. Let's widen the view and stretch our thinking beyond the simple.

Clearly, worship is something God surely does not want or care about!!! Mankind is a different story.

That's what I see. It's so very clear. I think everyone is capable of Discovering this for themselves.

Finally, how can one ever reach a Higher Level if one values all those petty things like Ruling, controlling, condemning, hating, punishing, coercing, intimidating, manipulating, revenge, and etc? Is anyone really going to gain from all that? Are those petty things really intelligent choices? Where do you think that path leads-- to a Heavenly State? Think again.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Looks more like something a man would want rather than a god.