• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clear vs allegorical verses Quran 3:7

danieldemol

Premium Member
This is an extract from Surah 3:7 from Yusuf Ali;
He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book: In it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical.

Are there any historical lists of which verses are clear vs which verses are allegorical?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book: In it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical.

Are there any historical lists of which verses are clear vs which verses are allegorical?
There should be 1 historical list I think. Because, when there are different lists, then it might indicate, that the allegedly "clear" verses are not very clear

Edited: Thanks to @The_Fisher_King reminding me this is DIR forum, I edited the text

Last edited:

stvdv

I like the question. And I am curious if there is such a list. Would make study Koran easier. And less confusing. Also good for 'outsiders' who like to get to know a little about Koran

The 1 List to which all the scholars agree, might be very short. I expect there to be more lists, which would mean that the "clear verses" were not clear after all.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
There should be 1 historical list. When there are different lists, then it proofs, that the allegedly "clear" verses are not clear at all, which would make me doubt the IQ of the readers or the writers

This is a DIR, so please post respectful posts and leave the challenging/debating for the debate forums.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member

I'm not aware of any such list, but I'm no scholar.

stvdv

This is a DIR, so please post respectful posts and leave the challenging/debating for the debate forums.
@The_Fisher_King: Thank you for reminding me. I did not see that. I am sorry for disrespecting you and others.
(I still had time to edit it, so I edited my post. I hope it's correct and respectful now)

danieldemol

Premium Member
The Holy Prophet and Ahlulbayt did not make a list themselves but later Islamic scholars did according to their views. And many categorized them (i.e. verses about oneness of God is muhkam verses, abrogated verses are mutashabih) and did not make a whole list.

See this paper on the subject:

Unclear (Mutashabih) Verses According to Ibn Shahr Ashub

You can download the PDF file here:

Unclear (Mutashabih) Verses According to Ibn Shahr Ashub
Thanks,
Is that Ibn Shahr Ashub the same as this;
Ibn Shahr Ashub - Wikipedia ?