• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cleansing your mind or spirit

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I could have answered that way, but unfortunately no matter how enlightened I may find myself at times, there are still moments where I feel as though the actuality of what is happening around me and in the world, makes me feel as though I need refreshing. Meditation and being part of what is left of nature helps return me to the center of what is important and makes the woes of reality navigable.

My point is...regardless of my experience in vyavaharika, I know who I am.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What is your process for cleansing, or making whole, your mind or spiritual self?

What do you mean by cleansing? Differing world views may see this differently. For example a person who converts from one religion to another may feel he/she needs to 'cleanse' their mind of previous false beliefs. And if two conversions go in opposite directions, one person's cleansing is another's dirtying.

Maybe give an example of something you want to 'cleanse'.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What do you mean by cleansing? Differing world views may see this differently. For example a person who converts from one religion to another may feel he/she needs to 'cleanse' their mind of previous false beliefs. And if two conversions go in opposite directions, one person's cleansing is another's dirtying.

Maybe give an example of something you want to 'cleanse'.

I realized it can mean different things to different people, so I used general wording.

For example, let's say a few people who believed in Alchemy came to the forum. How would I possibly figure out what "cleansing" means to them 100% and custom tailor the question just for them?

How about I just answer what I consider cleansing for me? To me, cleansing is making myself more right and pure before God, myself and other people.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How about I just answer what I consider cleansing for me? To me, cleansing is making myself more right and pure before God, myself and other people.

To me, that's just life. In Hinduism it's called dharma. You still haven't given me anything specific to go on. In other words, how exactly do you do that?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
To me, that's just life. In Hinduism it's called dharma. You still haven't given me anything specific to go on. In other words, how exactly do you do that?

Do you mean how "I" do it, or how "one" might do it?

In any case, the days when I ask lawyer-like questions, the ones where I know the answer ahead of time, are about over. So why ask the person who is asking?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you mean how "I" do it, or how "one" might do it?

In any case, the days when I ask lawyer-like questions, the ones where I know the answer ahead of time, are about over. So why ask the person who is asking?

I meant how you personally do it. Right now you're just saying, "I purify my mind by purifying my mind." There is little concrete to go on.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I meant how you personally do it. Right now you're just saying, "I purify my mind by purifying my mind." There is little concrete to go on.

I can define what, to me, purification would mean. But I haven't figured out yet what methods I should use to reach that, in this somewhat new worldview (or total of beliefs) I have set up for myself.

I'll be fair though, before I start any discussion, I should talk about definitions of words, etc. Not sure how that will work out yet though, whether multiple days will be spent trying to reach an agreement on what means what, etc.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I can define what, to me, purification would mean. But I haven't figured out yet what methods I should use to reach that, in this somewhat new worldview (or total of beliefs) I have set up for myself.

I'll be fair though, before I start any discussion, I should talk about definitions of words, etc. Not sure how that will work out yet though, whether multiple days will be spent trying to reach an agreement on what means what, etc.

Good luck with attaining your goals and more clarity on the subject.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I mean if I had to answer, my theory is that a natural cleansing may take place when there is more of a balance between lower self and higher self.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why do you suggest I "read the OP again paying particular attention to sentence structure and commas"? Did I miss something?

Well you asked a silly question as though you missed something. Then you correct yourself

FYI. I have told you this before, seems you have forgotten
Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Nothing more and nothing less

But never mind, keep your spirits up. A wonderful idiom dont you think?

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
My point is...regardless of my experience in vyavaharika, I know who I am.
The concept of cleansing is apparently different for the op and Abrahamics than the eastern ways of thought. I think of it as a personal experience meant to readjust my thinking and feelings if they have become negative or I have temporarily 'lost my zen' as I call it or need to remember what is important. It is only meant to help myself. The op seems to mean cleansing is something done to please an outside entity separate from themselves because of a defect of some kind, I think. Very different concepts.