• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Classics taking over the world!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
When we talk about classical literature or the “Canon” a lot of us typically refer to the Western Canon. Shakespeare, Ovid, Austen ect
With maybe an occasional nod towards other canons.

But in the interest of venturing out in the wider world, what are some classics you recommend from a canon that is outside of the West?
(And maybe a good English translation just in case lol.)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
When we talk about classical literature or the “Canon” a lot of us typically refer to the Western Canon. Shakespeare, Ovid, Austen ect

But in the interest of venturing out in the wider world, what are some classics you recommend from a canon that is outside of the West?

What is Canon? What makes something canon?

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the criteria to be considered "classic" and/or "canon"?
Something declared such by the masses?
I mean the audience did keep certain things alive in the collective memory of any given culture, right?

I’m not too picky really lol

I always liked the classic Journey to the West. That has a lot of fun stuff and you can even find various versions of it like the Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett one.

exchemist

Veteran Member

A start would be to know what cultures, other than the Western one, have a literary canon in the first place. Perhaps the whole idea of a literary canon is a Western concept. I recall Saul Bellow's remark, "Who is the Tolstoy of the Zulus?"

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
I can think of a 'surprise' trend in popular music that when first breaking on the scene seemed to be a flash in the pan but lasted 30 years or more successful.....Rap Music....(Off Topic?)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Classics for me are things lIke 20000 leagues under the sea, Heidi, Little woman, Robinson Caruso, Treasure island, Huckleberry Finn,

Basically something old and well loved.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I can think of a 'surprise' trend in popular music that when first breaking on the scene seemed to be a flash in the pan but lasted 30 years or more successful.....Rap Music....(Off Topic?)
I'm so sick and tired of rap music. Your right though, it's off topic.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Mahabharata from India.
https://www.amazon.com/Mahabharata-...642072993&sprefix=mahabharata+,aps,531&sr=8-7