• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Class action status sought for JW sex abuse cases

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Sex abuse complainants in Quebec have requested permission from the court to proceed with a class action suit against the Watchtower Society and its leadership:

The request accuses the Jehovah's Witnesses of "having set up and maintained a hierarchical religious organization in which elders, its main authority figures, have been able to commit sexual assaults with impunity."

In the request, Jehovah's Witnesses are also accused of "creating an environment that protects sexual assailants of minors," notably by "hindering denunciation to secular authorities," such as the police or Quebec's Directorate of Youth Protection.

The lawsuit lists two sub-groups of complainants: those claiming they were abused by church elders and those who claim they were abused while minors by other members of their congregation.

Quebec court asked to approve sexual abuse class-action lawsuit against Jehovah's Witnesses

Thoughts?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Wow. Not surprising, but good to see. Part of the problem here is how far do we let "religious freedom" go before it impacts on what is acceptable in the host society. Given that the latter is a variable based on changing attitudes over the years something that was once acceptable may find itself on the receiving end at a later date.

And yes, I hope the action is successful so that this sort of thing is stamped out. If that causes the demise of any given religious groups, so be it. The sooner, the better.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sex abuse complainants in Quebec have requested permission from the court to proceed with a class action suit against the Watchtower Society and its leadership:

The request accuses the Jehovah's Witnesses of "having set up and maintained a hierarchical religious organization in which elders, its main authority figures, have been able to commit sexual assaults with impunity."

In the request, Jehovah's Witnesses are also accused of "creating an environment that protects sexual assailants of minors," notably by "hindering denunciation to secular authorities," such as the police or Quebec's Directorate of Youth Protection.

The lawsuit lists two sub-groups of complainants: those claiming they were abused by church elders and those who claim they were abused while minors by other members of their congregation.

Quebec court asked to approve sexual abuse class-action lawsuit against Jehovah's Witnesses

Thoughts?
Reminds me of the Catholic priesthood.

Vee

Premium Member

Thoughts?

As a Witness I can tel you we are advised frequently that if something illegal takes place, of whatever nature, we are to take it to the police and leave it to the authorities to deal with the situation. Elders don't have any legal status.
If it is true that those crimes were committed, I hope the abusers and all those who helped them hide their crimes rot in jail for the rest of their existence.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As a Witness I can tel you we are advised frequently that if something illegal takes place, of whatever nature, we are to take it to the police and leave it to the authorities to deal with the situation.
What else do they do to prevent abuse or respond to it when it occurs?

Vee

Premium Member
What else do they do to prevent abuse or respond to it when it occurs?

We base our actions on bible principles, which forbid the use of violence, sexual or of any other kind. There is a lot of emphasis from the organization to look after and protect each other in all situations, specially the children.
I haven't personally experienced any situation of abuse but like I said before, if it happens it is to be dealt with by the police. Nobody in the organisation has judicial rights to make decisions in the case of a crime.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We base our actions on bible principles, which forbid the use of violence, sexual or of any other kind. There is a lot of emphasis from the organization to look after and protect each other in all situations, specially the children.
How does this actually translate into practice? For instance, I've heard people cite "Biblical principles" to support why they require abuse allegations to be confirmed by witnesses to be acted upon, or why they keep abuse allegations internal and don't involve the police. What does the JW's interpretation of "Bible principles" look like?

I haven't personally experienced any situation of abuse but like I said before, if it happens it is to be dealt with by the police. Nobody in the organisation has judicial rights to make decisions in the case of a crime.
Is this actually written down somewhere? I searched JW.org and couldn't find an abuse prevention policy. Does the Watchtower Society actually require its members to report abuse allegations to the police immediately? If so, how is this enforced?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Vee

Premium Member
How does this actually translate into practice? For instance, I've heard people cite "Biblical principles" to support why they require abuse allegations to be confirmed by witnesses to be acted upon, or why they keep abuse allegations internal and don't involve the police. What does the JW's interpretation of "Bible principles" look like?

Is this actually written down somewhere? I searched JW.org and couldn't find an abuse prevention policy. Does the Watchtower Society actually require its members to report abuse allegations to the police immediately? If so, how is this enforced?

For example, John 13:35 relates the following words from Jesus: "By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves." Further in John 15:12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another just as I have loved you". As a principle, people who love each other respect each other. I wouldn't hurt in any way someone I love and respect.

I'm not sure what is written about that on the website but private citizens don't have judicial powers anyway. If you want to know more, feel free to contact the organization. They will be able to give you more information.

Skwim

Veteran Member
As a Witness I can tel you we are advised frequently that if something illegal takes place, of whatever nature, we are to take it to the police and leave it to the authorities to deal with the situation.
Outside of Catholicism it's kind of surprising that a Christian denomination would find such advice necessary. But considering it is, I would think twice about its integrity and the credibility of its teachings.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For example, John 13:35 relates the following words from Jesus: "By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves." Further in John 15:12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another just as I have loved you". As a principle, people who love each other respect each other. I wouldn't hurt in any way someone I love and respect.
But some people would - in any organization - and the organization needs to decide how to prevent them from hurting others and what to do when it does happen. Saying that you follow "Bible principles" tells me nothing.

I'm not sure what is written about that on the website but private citizens don't have judicial powers anyway. If you want to know more, feel free to contact the organization. They will be able to give you more information.
If the Watchtower Society had - and enacted - a proper abuse prevention policy, then people at all levels of the organization would know about it, would have dealt with its requirements, and would know their responsibilities under it.

For instance, the youth-oriented organization I volunteer with requires all of its volunteers to go through a criminal background check and to read and agree to follow its abuse prevention policy every year.

Your response suggests to me that this sort of process isn't happening in the Watchtower Society. Am I right?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Outside of Catholicism it's kind of surprising that a Christian denomination would find such advice necessary. But considering it is, I would think twice about its integrity and the credibility of its teachings

Really?
I'm amazed at how many bodies in commerce, industry, retail, religion, travel and government regard persons who take info about crimes straight to the police or authorities as 'Whistle Blowers'!
Any body or group which wholeheartedly supports the reporting of crimes can only be commended.

But some folks even find that to be wicked..... when it suits them.

Oeste

Except if a child reports sexual abuse, the elders do not consider it a crime unless the perpetrator confesses or there are two witnesses, so it won’t get reported to the police unless the legal jurisdiction specifically requires clergy to report the sexual abuse. In some countries, that requirement is silent/absent so its not reported to authorities at all.

Here, in the United States many people are surprised to learn there is no national law requiring clergy to report allegations of sexual abuse. Some States and territories require reporting, some do not.

When an allegation is made the elder is first instructed to contact the local Branch Office. If the Kingdom Hall is in a mandatory reporting area, it is only then that an elder will be instructed to call authorities. .

However elders are also instructed not to bring “reproach” upon the Organization, so they will also be instructed to report anonymously or from a neutral location (that is, from a phone not tied to a Kingdom Hall).

Telememo1.jpg
As stated in the Shepherd's book, page 33:

"If the accused denies the accusation, the investigating elders should try to arrange a meeting with him and the accuser together. (Note: If the accusation involves child sexual abuse and the victim is currently a minor, the elders should contact the branch office before arranging a meeting with the child and the alleged abuser.) If the accuser or the accused is unwilling to meet with the elders or if the accused continues to deny the accusation of a single witness and the wrongdoing is not established, the elders will leave matters in Jehovah's hands. (Deut. 19:15-17; Tim. 5:19, 24, 25; 28-29)"​

It’s important to remember that JW elders are always male, an important consideration if you’re a young female abused. They are not psychiatrists or social workers, and have absolutely no training in investigating child abuse matters.Their judicial process requires the child victim to confront the adult abuser. The child accuser does this without support because “observers” (like parents) are not allowed in the room:

Hear only those witnesses who have relevant testimony regarding the alleged wrongdoing. Those who intend to testify only about the character of the accused should not be allowed to do so. The witnesses should not hear details and testimony of other witnesses. Observers should not be present for moral support. Recording devices should not be allowed. (Shepherd book p90)​

To be fair, it is not only Jehovah Witnesses that are faced with child abuse; it's their approach to the problem that leads to the big payouts and trouble with local authorities.

Click here for an short report on two different churches faced with sexual abuse, the United Church and Jehovah Witnesses.

I think one is starting to get it right while another, unfortunately, still gets the whole thing horribly wrong.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Does anyone here really think that this will stop the constant JW demonizing of Catholicism and other religious faiths?