• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Claims vs. Beliefs

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
No, you do not need to believe in Baha'u'llah in order to know that you have to investigate Baha'u'llah (do your homework) before you will believe His claims. It is just common sense.

It doesn't sound like it from the way you typed it. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds to me like you're saying Baha'u'llah tells you how to spot a "real" messenger.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It doesn't sound like it from the way you typed it. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds to me like you're saying Baha'u'llah tells you how to spot a "real" messenger.
Baha'u'llah told us what the evidence is that supports the claims of any alleged Messenger of God.
You can spot a "real" Messenger by looking at the evidence.

ppp

If I claimed it it would be a claim.
Using one version of a word to describe another version of the same word does not convey information.
You have said, "There is absolutely NO WAY to ever know anything about God without Messengers of God."
That statement meets the definition that you provided for the word claim

Claim: state or assert that something is the case, typically without providing evidence or proof.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Baha'u'llah told us what the evidence is that supports the claims of any alleged Messenger of God.
You can spot a "real" Messenger by looking at the evidence.

So you need to believe Baha'u'llah before you can learn how to believe Baha'u'llah is a true messenger.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
All the atheist has is belief also.
His belief in what science says now will change soon enough. All anyone has is what they choose to believe.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That is true. It is true not only for Jesus but for all the other Messengers who appeared back in history. We have no original writings for any Messengers who came before the Bab and Baha'u'llah.
That is not very good evidence but it is all we have.
We have no evidence that there are any actual Messengers. So any writing of people claiming to be a Messenger is something we can doubt.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You have said, "There is absolutely NO WAY to ever know anything about God without Messengers of God."
That statement meets the definition that you provided for the word claim

Claim: state or assert that something is the case, typically without providing evidence or proof.
"There is absolutely NO WAY to ever know anything about God without Messengers of God" is a claim, but I did not make that claim. Baha'u'llah made that claim and I believe His claim.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So you need to believe Baha'u'llah before you can learn how to believe Baha'u'llah is a true messenger.
No, I did not say that. I said that we need to investigate a Messenger such as Baha'u'llah before we can come to believe that He is a Messenger of God.

F1fan

Veteran Member
All the atheist has is belief also.
So if both theists and atheists have beliefs, and atheists are wrong because all they have is beliefs, then theists are wrong in their beliefs too.

His belief in what science says now will change soon enough.
Oops, no. Educated people (including many theists) accept the results in science because science shows its work.

All anyone has is what they choose to believe.
But most people don't choose to believe in their cultural beliefs. Cultural beliefs are mostly adopted through life experiences, including religions.

F1fan

Veteran Member
"There is absolutely NO WAY to ever know anything about God without Messengers of God" is a claim, but I did not make that claim. Baha'u'llah made that claim and I believe His claim.
And you endorsing Baha'u'llah's claims in these discussions is you becoming a proxy for that claim.

You aren't talking to yourself in the car. You are on a public forum that discusses religion, and when you express what you believe is true to others that is a claim of truth.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
No, I did not say that. I said that we need to investigate a Messenger such as Baha'u'llah before we can come to believe that He is a Messenger of God.

This is the problem with messengers, interpretation. Throw in translation and it's meaningless waffle.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Go ahead, but I suggest you find out the reason for that marriage because otherwise you'd be committing the fallacy of jumping to conclusions.

I have standards I won't lower for anyone. Child abuse is one of those standards.