• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

citizenship rights

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The sociologist TH Marshall said that there are three kinds of citizenship rights:

Civil rights (e.g. the right to a fair trial)
Political rights (e.g. the right to vote in elections)
Social rights (e.g. the right to healthcare)

Now you know :D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The sociologist TH Marshall said that there are three kinds of citizenship rights:

Almost there

I would get a fair trial should it ever be needed
I don't have the right to vote
I do have yhe right to healthcare.

Two out of three ain't bad, I've not applied for french citizenship yet

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Are you going to?

What would doing so involve?

Do you think your application would be successful?

Eventually. Yes, probably. More for the children's sake than mine.

Several documents examined and recorded, proof of residence. police checks, history and language tests. It takes about 18 months to get through the bureaucracy

I don't see a problem.

Edit, i forgot about 50 pages of form filling

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

He lacked imagination.
Economic rights, ie, the right to free economic association
Religious rights, ie, the right to believe, worship, & speak.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I like FDR's Four Freedoms - the freedom of speech, the freedom of worship, the freedom from want, and the freedom from fear

PureX

Veteran Member
Whatever rights we deem ourselves to have, if we don't apply them equally, to all, they're nothing more than privileges for some, and oppression for others. The idea that we can have a right without affording it to everyone else is just fascism hiding in plain sight.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I've lived in the USA for over 30 years and I have never taken out citizenship (I have a "green card" visa) though I'm well qualified to do so after all this time. I've found that the only thing that I can't do compared to a citizen is vote, and I can influence politicians with cash donations if I want to. The advantages are that I go through the short lane at airports when entering either country, I don't get called up for jury duty and I can always flee to the UK (and until recently ... curse you brexit ... the EU) if things get too bad here.

I found out that I didn't have to give up my UK citizenship, and considered becoming a US citizen a few years back. Then I looked at the paperwork and found that I had to list so many things that I had no way of remembering and that applied to my whole life (I'm in my 80's) that I decided the chance of getting kicked out for stating incorrect information there was greater than, say committing a felony that can do it currently, so I decided to stick with the green card. Can you believe they want details of everywhere I have lived, and every organization I have joined, with dates, for my whole life?

Yes, that's off topic, I just felt like telling you all about it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Interesting to know, although I find the designation of "political rights" in this context a bit unfortunate.

All of those are rights of a political nature, since they are only rights because there are political structures that enforce them - often by demanding the necessary resources from the respective society in some way.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Economics is definitely neither civil nor social.
Social is an aspect of religion, but separate.
civ·il
/ˈsivəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to ordinary citizens and their concerns, as distinct from military or ecclesiastical matters.
The means of which people establish and conduct trade is most often a civil affair.
And religion is a social apparatus, often and frequently tied to the state.