• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Citizenship revoked for treasonous woman who joined ISIS. She made her bed...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
... and she's going to have to lay in it.

US-born Alabama woman who joined ISIS is not an American citizen, judge rules | Fox News

I can understand extenuating and special circumstances, but this was a intentional and deliberate act on her part and the ruling made was justified considering her grievous crime against the United States by joining a very violent and brutal enemy.

No tears for her are going to be shed , and I say it would be the best for her not to ever come back into this country given that she literally spit on everything this country had to offer by her actions.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Germany has the same problem right now with multiple alleged ISIS members extradited from Turkey. Germany decided to take responsibility for their citizens as a good parent takes up responsibility for the misdeeds of her/his offspring and not deny their relationship.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Treason is bunk. The government claiming the territory you chance to be born in doesn't own you. It has no claim of allegiance. Allegiance is a personal choice.

We criticize Islamic countries for punishing apostasy. We criticize countries punishing critics of the king or of government policies. We don't punish people for changing political parties -- at least not in-country. Why do we not tolerate it intra-country?

We pride ourselves on our 'freedom of conscience'. Are we failing to extend this freedom to ex-pats?

What are we trying to accomplish with our treatment of her? Rehabilitation? Punishment? Something else? Are we merely assuaging our own anger at her crime? Is her punishment, then, a psychotherapy for ourselves?

And what was her crime? Assault? Murder? Abetting? Accessory? Lending aid and comfort? Or is it her apparent disloyalty that irks us? Does she owe us loyalty? Why?

Revocation of citizenship is a curious penalty. We don't revoke the citizenship of mass murderers. Germany didn't revoke the citizenship of the Nazi war criminals. Is this just our way of saying "we don't want her back?"

Just some thoughts....

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Germany has the same problem right now with multiple alleged ISIS members extradited from Turkey. Germany decided to take responsibility for their citizens as a good parent takes up responsibility for the misdeeds of her/his offspring and not deny their relationship.
Merkelzeit....der Alptraum

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

US-born Alabama woman who joined ISIS is not an American citizen, judge rules | Fox News

I can understand extenuating and special circumstances, but this was a intentional and deliberate act on her part and the ruling made was justified considering her grievous crime against the United States by joining a very violent and brutal enemy.

No tears for her are going to be shed , and I say it would be the best for her not to ever come back into this country given that she literally spit on everything this country had to offer by her actions.

I don't know. They let Oswald come back after he went to the Soviet Union and renounced his US citizenship. I don't think he was the only one who did that and then came back.

I tend to agree with the basic principle that, once someone leaves and renounces their citizenship, they shouldn't be allowed back. On the other hand, our government is apparently wishy-washy and inconsistent on this principle, so that makes cases like these a bit more complicated.

Personally, I think the CEOs of any company that outsources should be deported and have their citizenship revoked. They do much more harm to America than anything this woman did.

sooda

Veteran Member

How could she be a US citizen if her father was a Yemeni diplomat to the US? That would make her a citizen of Yemen.

sooda

Veteran Member
Treason is bunk. The government claiming the territory you chance to be born in doesn't own you. It has no claim of allegiance. Allegiance is a personal choice.

We criticize Islamic countries for punishing apostasy. We criticize countries punishing critics of the king or of government policies. We don't punish people for changing political parties -- at least not in-country. Why do we not tolerate it intra-country?

We pride ourselves on our 'freedom of conscience'. Are we failing to extend this freedom to ex-pats?

What are we trying to accomplish with our treatment of her? Rehabilitation? Punishment? Something else? Are we merely assuaging our own anger at her crime? Is her punishment, then, a psychotherapy for ourselves?

And what was her crime? Assault? Murder? Abetting? Accessory? Lending aid and comfort? Or is it her apparent disloyalty that irks us? Does she owe us loyalty? Why?

Revocation of citizenship is a curious penalty. We don't revoke the citizenship of mass murderers. Germany didn't revoke the citizenship of the Nazi war criminals. Is this just our way of saying "we don't want her back?"

Just some thoughts....

Her citizenship wasn't revoked. Poor reporting.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How could she be a US citizen if her father was a Yemeni diplomat to the US? That would make her a citizen of Yemen.

So, she was never a US citizen at all? If she is a Yemeni citizen, would that country accept her? Considering what's going on in Yemen, she'd be going from one frying pan into another.

sooda

Veteran Member
So, she was never a US citizen at all? If she is a Yemeni citizen, would that country accept her? Considering what's going on in Yemen, she'd be going from one frying pan into another.

If her father was in fact a Yemeni diplomat to the US, she is a Yemeni citizen.

I don't predict the future.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If her father was in fact a Yemeni diplomat to the US, she is a Yemeni citizen.

I don't predict the future.

Then I'd wonder about the father's status, too. He was a Yemeni diplomat, and then he just quits his job, remains in the US, and becomes a US citizen? And the US government allowed this? This is a strange story.

sooda

Veteran Member
Then I'd wonder about the father's status, too. He was a Yemeni diplomat, and then he just quits his job, remains in the US, and becomes a US citizen? And the US government allowed this? This is a strange story.

I wouldn't speculate...…. Start by finding out her father's full name and her date of birth.

This has potential as a new conspiracy theory.

shmogie

She did not choose wisely. She got exactly what she she chose, I hope she is happy.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't speculate...…. Start by finding out her father's full name and her date of birth.

This has potential as a new conspiracy theory.

I'm not all that concerned about this particular case, and I agree with the basic principle that once someone discards their US citizenship, they shouldn't be able to get it back that easily. I'm not speculating on any possible conspiracies here, although the politics behind all this seems curious, to say the least.

There have been other cases like this. I think there was a similar case with someone from the UK who went off to fight for ISIS.

I still don't understand why people do that. Do they feel some kind of calling from God to go off and fight for a doomed cause? I don't believe there's any "conspiracy" over this, but I just wonder what goes through their minds.

She was young and misguided and made a mistake. Now, she wants to come back, and they won't let her. And maybe she was never really a citizen to begin with, but either way, I guess she will be a symbolic warning to any other Americans who might be thinking about doing the same thing.

On the other hand, if they did let her back, maybe she could be a spokesperson to encourage young people to not do the same thing. Kind of like how ex-gang bangers reform and work with youth to help steer them away from gangs.