• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

circumcision

Levite

Higher and Higher
Does a convert need to be circumcised?

Yes, if he is not already circumcised. If he is already circumcised, he undergoes hatafat dam brit, which is a ritual consecration of the circumcision already done, by drawing a single drop of blood from the circumcision scar.

This is the official current position of the Reform movement (and also happens to be the traditional position in halachah, or Jewish Law), though of course the Reform movement also does not compel its rabbis, and gives them tremendous lattitude in terms of observances and so forth. Once upon a time, a couple of decades ago, the position in Reform Judaism in America was by no means as clear, and many American Reform rabbis in those days were willing to declare men converted even without hatafat dam brit, and no small number were even willing to shrug away lack of circumcision. These days, I would think it would be difficult to find an American Reform rabbi willing to consider a man converted without circumcision or hatafat dam brit, though perhaps not entirely impossible. But it would be rare, and certainly impossible to find Reform rabbis outside America who would take such a position, since the Reform movement outside of America has always been more traditional in observance than the American Reform movement.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The answer to the question is pretty straight forward but also pretty inappropriate. If you are going through a meaningful conversion process that process should be under Rabbinic supervision, and it's important that you ask the Rabbi these questions.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
True, but also keep in mind that finding a Kosher Moyel who will perform a hatafat dam brit for a Reform conversion to be close to impossible. Just like finding a Kosher Mikvah that will permit entry for the sake of a Reform conversion to also be close to impossible. O control both, and they will never allow this. So on a practical level, the hatafat dam brit is not required most of the time.

Levite

Higher and Higher
True, but also keep in mind that finding a Kosher Moyel who will perform a hatafat dam brit for a Reform conversion to be close to impossible. Just like finding a Kosher Mikvah that will permit entry for the sake of a Reform conversion to also be close to impossible. O control both, and they will never allow this. So on a practical level, the hatafat dam brit is not required most of the time.

Actually, not necessarily. The Reform movement has an excellent program for training Jewish doctors, nurse practitioners, midwives, and other medical personnel already medically trained and secularly licensed to perform circumcisions in the halachot and ritual of Brit Milah. These individuals are then registered as Reform mohalim and mohalot, and the project maintains a website where people can find them and contact them to retain their services.

I am on excellent terms with the Reform rabbi who directs this program and is responsible for training and guiding the mohalim and mohalot, and I can confirm she trains them very well, and all know how to perform halachically correct britot and hatafat dam brit. Any serving Reform rabbi should know about this program and be able to direct converts to it.

Rakhel

Actually, not necessarily. The Reform movement has an excellent program for training Jewish doctors, nurse practitioners, midwives, and other medical personnel already medically trained and secularly licensed to perform circumcisions in the halachot and ritual of Brit Milah. These individuals are then registered as Reform mohalim and mohalot, and the project maintains a website where people can find them and contact them to retain their services.

I am on excellent terms with the Reform rabbi who directs this program and is responsible for training and guiding the mohalim and mohalot, and I can confirm she trains them very well, and all know how to perform halachically correct britot and hatafat dam brit. Any serving Reform rabbi should know about this program and be able to direct converts to it.
Come to think of it, there was a story not too long ago of a non-Jew seeking a circumcision for his son and was directed to a mohel that would do one. I'll have to look and see if I can find it.
http://forward.com/articles/12351/mohels-give-non-jewish-babies-a-slice-of-tradition-/
So it seems finding a mohel who will perform a brit milah on anyone is not that hard.

Last edited: