• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Circumcision without consent. Is it wrong?

Is it wrong to circumcise a baby who cannot consent?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Only Jewish people should be able to

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Idk yo

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No it doesn't. See my above research link.
It is easy to make claims. Supporting them is another matter. Earlier I demonstrated that his claim that "women prefer uncircumcised penises was not true with a similar source. Perhaps that is just what his significant other is telling him. We men are rather sensitive about this issue.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It is easy to make claims. Supporting them is another matter. Earlier I demonstrated that his claim that "women prefer uncircumcised penises was not true with a similar source. Perhaps that is just what his significant other is telling him. We men are rather sensitive about this issue.

Certainly.

It's a tough and touchy subject, with a lot of moving levels of interpretation.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My point was about the difference in sensitivity. You have always felt what you have always felt and have nothing to compare it to. If your sense of smell was half as sensitive as mine, you would not be aware that you weren't smelling what I can smell. You would just think that you were smelling everything the same.
Well there is only one way to tell for sure. We cannot undo a circumcision. That means that we need a volunteer.

Anyone?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I understand your point. Which is why I concluded there isn't a right answer IMO.
There is no "right" answer to FGM either, because
it would vary from culture to culture. However, in
the western context, both FGM & MGM strike me
as immoral because of the consent issue.
I understand Ameristans position. But it doesn't seem to gel with other avenues of medical autonomy or not. Autonomy changes based on the individual, government, and family units wishes. (Edited post)
Family & religious wishes have limits when imposed
upon others. Infants cannot give consent.

But anyone who argues for infant male circumcision
should allow FGM to a similar extent, which is a type
within the spectrum between the radical kind & the
mere ceremonial non-modifying "nick".
There again, this presumes equal treatment based
upon sex. (Not all cultures & religions believe in
equal treatment.)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My point was about the difference in sensitivity. You have always felt what you have always felt and have nothing to compare it to. If your sense of smell was half as sensitive as mine, you would not be aware that you weren't smelling what I can smell. You would just think that you were smelling everything the same.
So? :shrug:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I wouldn't compare it to FGM, as it doesn't prohibit sexual pleasure of the man, and isn't used as a method of control, imo.
So, do you think that any intervention on the physical integrity of children is allowed if that does not negatively affect normal physical functioning? What about permanently printing on their forehead “i belong to religion X”. Would you tolerate it?

ciao

- viole

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
I have doubts about that claim. Have you seen female sex toys?
Not sure how that is relevant. Which sex toys are you referring to. The ones designed by women often don't look like a penis at all!

It may have more to do with the country of origin and the prevalence of circumcised versus non.
iirc, it was in the US and the participants had all had sex with both types. It was a while ago but I'll try and dig it up.

Edit: At least this one source says that you are terribly wrong. The magic words are "Sorry son, but I heard that it makes it taste better."

Sex and Male Circumcision: Women’s Preferences Across Different Cultures and Countries: A Systematic Review.
Ah, a common mistake. The survey was not about women's preferences in partner, aesthetics, etc. It was purely about the pleasure derived from penetrative intercourse. You are right that those preferences are very much based in tradition, custom, peer pressure, etc. Apparently in the US women's preference for a circumcised penis has been reducing as the rate of circumcision drops. Whereas a few decades ago an uncircumcised penis was an oddity, now it is much more common.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not sure how that is relevant. Which sex toys are you referring to. The ones designed by women often don't look like a penis at all!

Nor do they facilitate easy movement. They were designed for what you called pounding.

iirc, it was in the US and the participants had all had sex with both types. It was a while ago but I'll try and dig it up.

Ah, a common mistake. The survey was not about women's preferences in partner, aesthetics, etc. It was purely about the pleasure derived from penetrative intercourse. You are right that those preferences are very much based in tradition, custom, peer pressure, etc. Apparently in the US women's preference for a circumcised penis has been reducing as the rate of circumcision drops. Whereas a few decades ago an uncircumcised penis was an oddity, now it is much more common.

Okay, the survey I posted was about a whole range of factors. It appears women prefer a haircut.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I voted that circumcision is wrong, but I want to explain a couple things.

First, male circumcision is not the same as female genital mutation. spoiler for the graphic description.
To understand imagine they didn’t just cut off the foreskin but hacked off the entire head of the penis, and maybe did it with a rusty piece of metal or a dirty piece of glass. Now imagine they stitched the remaining shaft to the scrotum. Sorry to be so disturbing, but that is what FGM is.
I don’t think male circumcision is the horrific crime that fgm is. Still I think it is unnecessary and should be discouraged.

I don’t think it should be banned, banning circumcision could cause more problems. It could just drive it underground, it could lead to religious oppression and other things.

But I still think it is wrong and shouldn’t be done.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
vs this:

" In the overwhelming majority of studies, women expressed a preference for the circumcised penis. The main reasons given for this preference were better appearance, better hygiene, reduced risk of infection, and enhanced sexual activity, including vaginal intercourse, manual stimulation, and fellatio. "

I can see a father talking to his young baby "Son, you may hate me now, but some day you will thank me.":D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
vs this:

" In the overwhelming majority of studies, women expressed a preference for the circumcised penis. The main reasons given for this preference were better appearance, better hygiene, reduced risk of infection, and enhanced sexual activity, including vaginal intercourse, manual stimulation, and fellatio. "

I can see a father talking to his young baby "Son, you may hate me now, but some day you will thank me.":D
I'm a lifelong underperformer :(
My objection is solely based on the consent issue. :)