• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Churchical Chants of the Nyabinghi

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
This is supposedly the first known field recording of a Grounation. I have heard it years ago and mentioned it in another thread here but ran across the recording again and enjoyed it so much I had to make a thread. Can anyone here give more insight into the ceremony? Has anyone ever been to a large one held for a particular purpose like this one?

This ceremony was recorded at a grounation held in 1982 when Ronald Reagan visited Jamaica for seven days. The Nyabingi -- and many Rastafarians -- read much into the number of letters in Reagan's full name: Ronald Wilson Reagan.

Six letters in each = 666.

They also didn't rate the Pope much of course, and in this piece they chant down the Pope and Reagan: "When Jah gets ready you've got to move, Dirty Pope Paul have to move, Reagan have to move, I'm have to move, When Sellasie I get ready, I'm have to move.
[youtube]lhZjSe49FCA&feature=related[/youtube]

This is a haunting tune.
[youtube]ZCnRDNw1zos&feature=related[/youtube]

"White boy a follower". Unsure if this is directed at whomever is doing the field recording, white boys following rasta ways at the time, or a prayer that they would do so in the future to promote the healing of the nations. Any ideas?
[youtube]S_uir8GurGw&feature=related[/youtube]

D-MITCH777

I have been to one, although I wouldn't really class it as being big. I went to one for coronation day, and for a while I used to go to a Bobo Shanti gathering, which was every week on the Sabbath(6pm Friday to 6pm Saturday).