• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Churchianity has Hidden the REAL God and the REAL Christ for 2,000 years!

lostwanderingsoul

Judging the church post-3rd century like this is ridicule, because it's based solely on opinion. And you're not qualified or authorized to pass such a judgment. To assume that *you* have "truth" that the apostles, their successors, and clergy everywhere do not have is ludicrous and self-aggrandizing.
The church post third century was based largely on the pagan ideas of Constantine who forced his ideas on people at the point of a sword. I will question it any time I wish.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
News Flash! Constantine converted to Christianity but decided not to try and run the Church!

More at 11:00.

Iymus

Here's a much better translation: "You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath..."

A "graven image" in biblespeak is an idol -- not simply "a granite statue." An idol is different from a statue.

We use statues, icons and other images to point our attention to God -- not to the article, itself.

Why are mind games played? The concept and intention behind graven images does not change.

Why are we pretending that most of modern day Christianity is not a combination of traditional Jewish Culture and Paganism intertwined?

An idol is an effigy that has divine power in and of itself
:expressionless:

Psa 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
-------------

Mat 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
---------------

1Jn 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
1Jn 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
-------------------

Iymus

What do you think was on Moses staff when at the Reed Sea? What do you think was on the Ark of the Covenant the God?

Tools and Instruments for a purpose.

What do you think the pictures in your "Awake" and "The Watchtower" magazines depict?

Not affiliated with Jehovah Witness Organization.

Also, the Trinitarian concept is not polytheistic, and in order to actually get a grip on what it actually entails one needs to understand the concept of "essence". If one doesn't understand its use and what it implies, they're likely to fall into the same trap you have.

Seemingly Experts in Paganism Philosophy cosigned Trinitarian concept as Lukewarm Monotheism.

Iymus

Let me recommend that you actually google this. If you can't find it, then let me know and I'll show ya tomorrow as I'm leaving shortly.

Klein%20heavy-duty%20side-cutting%20pliers.jpg

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The church post third century was based largely on the pagan ideas of Constantine who forced his ideas on people at the point of a sword. I will question it any time I wish.
Then you're going against what the bible teaches: that the church would prevail, for, with your "questioning," you effectively have killed off the church. There is no continuity of apostles' teaching (as the bible commands us to "continue in the apostles' teaching and fellowship"), therefore, no church. All because you want to stand in judgment of something you don't like and dare to call the church something besides the church.

Slick move, Ace.

sojourner

Why are mind games played? The concept and intention behind graven images does not change.
Neither does the concept of idols, which I pointed out above, and which you conveniently failed to address here. As I pointed out, there's a marked difference between a statue and an idol. The bible talks about the latter, not the former.

Why are we pretending that most of modern day Christianity is not a combination of traditional Jewish Culture and Paganism intertwined?
Your point?

Psa 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
-------------

Mat 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
---------------

1Jn 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
1Jn 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
None of this addresses my point about idols, as the concept is used in Exodus.

Iymus

Neither does the concept of idols, which I pointed out above, and which you conveniently failed to address here. As I pointed out, there's a marked difference between a statue and an idol. The bible talks about the latter, not the former.

Lev 26:1 KJV Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.

Your point?

Psa 119:104 KJV Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.

None of this addresses my point about idols, as the concept is used in Exodus.

Idols encompass Graven Images

sojourner

neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God
the operative term being “to bow down...” We don’t worship statues or images. (Didn’t I just say that?). Cripes! Let. It. Go! You’re wrong.
Psa 119:104 KJV Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way
That doesn’t address the issue. What’s your game now? Just throwing up any old bible passage to see what sticks?
Idols encompass Graven Images
No. Not all idols are stone statues. Not all stone statues are idols.

It’s interesting that the oldest extant work of Christian art is from the first century, and it’s carved into one side of a stone altar. It’s a bas-relief scene of Jesus with disciples. Apparently, the very earliest Christians disagreed with you. Wonder who we should believe? The earliest Christians or someone from a fringe group?

lostwanderingsoul

Then you're going against what the bible teaches: that the church would prevail, for, with your "questioning," you effectively have killed off the church. There is no continuity of apostles' teaching (as the bible commands us to "continue in the apostles' teaching and fellowship"), therefore, no church. All because you want to stand in judgment of something you don't like and dare to call the church something besides the church.

Slick move, Ace.
I judge nothing and no one. Only God can judge. Maybe the church that will prevail is not the one you follow. At least I have an open mind but you are brain washed into believing what some self appointed leader tells you.

sojourner

I judge nothing and no one
You did when you said that the RCC hasn’t really been the church for 1700 years.

Maybe the church that will prevail is not the one you follow
The church is the church.

At least I have an open mind
Yah, until someone interprets the Bible differently from you, or calls Sunday The Lord’s Day. Then you appear to get closed real quick.

what some self appointed leader tells you
My leaders aren’t “self-appointed.” They’re called by God through the discernment of the church.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Churchianity has been taken over by Satan who has distorted the beliefs originally taught by Jesus. By blinding people to the truth Satan has prevented people from worshipping the true God and following His teachings.
That's true of some of the more extreme Christian maniacs, but only a minority I hope.

One US Pastor is calling for a Christian monarchy and new Constitution in the US, with its own King, Military, Judges and Police, and with various kinds of painful executions and floggings to be dished out to LGBT folks, adulterers, thieves etc after cherry picking all the juicy crimes from the OT for public punishments. And Jesus will rule with a rod of iron, or some such trash.

It's this kind of Christianity that is probably causing the slow reduction of Christian numbers in America, is my guess.

Iymus

the operative term being “to bow down...” We don’t worship statues or images. (Didn’t I just say that?). Cripes! Let. It. Go! You’re wrong.

That doesn’t address the issue. What’s your game now? Just throwing up any old bible passage to see what sticks?

No. Not all idols are stone statues. Not all stone statues are idols.

It’s interesting that the oldest extant work of Christian art is from the first century, and it’s carved into one side of a stone altar. It’s a bas-relief scene of Jesus with disciples. Apparently, the very earliest Christians disagreed with you. Wonder who we should believe? The earliest Christians or someone from a fringe group?

Two Questions:

1. Do mainstream Christians have reverence for this image as our God?
2. Do you have reverence for this image as your God?

Savior.jpeg

Integrity Please!!!

sojourner

Two Questions:

1. Do mainstream Christians have reverence for this image as our God?
2. Do you have reverence for this image as your God?

Savior.jpeg

Integrity Please!!!
No and no. We don’t revere this image as our God. Some may revere the image as an image that points them toward God. But the image is not God.