• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Churches The Young People Start

Ellen Brown

Here in Portland, Oregon I've heard of a Church and been to another Church where the average age is less than 30, certainly less than 35. The Rose Church has attendees waving their hands and dancing during hymns and the Bass on the music feels like I'm having CPR. The preaching is sweet and uplifting. The last service I attended was in a Dance place/Bar, and there were 100+ happy, friendly, smiling young people.

There is another church "International Christian Church" where the music is acapella and I have no idea what the preaching will be like. I plan to attend both of them, one at 10am, and the other at 12PM. The Rose church is in an area of homeless, halfway houses, and industrial stores with transient housing. The other church is in a Portland State University athletic center building.

It seems sad and unusual that the big, old, ornate dedicated churches I've been in sometimes have as few as 25 old folk.

These days I am far more interested in the demographics of various churches than actually attending one.

I haven't been in a Muslim Masjid for quite a while, and all of the ones I have attended have the women hidden away in a room very separated from the men. The exception to this is a Shia Masjid where only some bookcases separate men and women and they don't seem very militant about that.

I was in a Jewish Synagogue a few years ago, and wish I could visit there again but that will be some time away.

I'm very interested in the way people worship God and hope that the young will do better than us olds.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Here in Portland, Oregon I've heard of a Church and been to another Church where the average age is less than 30, certainly less than 35. The Rose Church has attendees waving their hands and dancing during hymns and the Bass on the music feels like I'm having CPR. The preaching is sweet and uplifting. The last service I attended was in a Dance place/Bar, and there were 100+ happy, friendly, smiling young people.

There is another church "International Christian Church" where the music is acapella and I have no idea what the preaching will be like. I plan to attend both of them, one at 10am, and the other at 12PM. The Rose church is in an area of homeless, halfway houses, and industrial stores with transient housing. The other church is in a Portland State University athletic center building.

It seems sad and unusual that the big, old, ornate dedicated churches I've been in sometimes have as few as 25 old folk.

These days I am far more interested in the demographics of various churches than actually attending one.

I haven't been in a Muslim Masjid for quite a while, and all of the ones I have attended have the women hidden away in a room very separated from the men. The exception to this is a Shia Masjid where only some bookcases separate men and women and they don't seem very militant about that.

I was in a Jewish Synagogue a few years ago, and wish I could visit there again but that will be some time away.

I'm very interested in the way people worship God and hope that the young will do better than us olds.

When I worshiped, I realized (I'm 37) I was more "traditional" if there is such a thing. I've been to many evangelist churches with people of all ages. The idea in the baptist church I visited is to bring people in the youngest so they get to know the lord before they can think of a life outside their family faith. (Indoctrination). I don't see children having a choice until they reach their teenish years when they have an idea of which denomination church they want to attend.

Roman Catholics have all ages rather than predominately older as many churches in the past I visited have...the one's with big hats and high heals and hallelujah praise the lords with their fans and outstretched hands. I haven't been to one of those so long (catholics are quiet) until recently and I had a seizure. Went to the hospital.

Anyway, nowadays, there are youngyins in the church. I don't know if you will find people older, at least not in the cities. I'm not familiar with Oregon. My family is in NC/SC, GA, all down there. I guess there are different types of traditional. I'm strictly devotional, prayer, and some music it depends. I'm more connected in personal devotion. It's solace in communal.

It's ideal, I guess, to be with someone around your age. Another is if all is one body of christ, maybe that is a challenge when maturing in christ. I don't know the balance; though, that's something to think about.

PureX

Veteran Member

I'm sure there were good reasons what the various generations chose to worship as they did. Change is inevitable, though, and those big, expensive, stolid churches are sliding into history as money and joyful emotions are replacing obedience to God as the focus of our collective lives. And as always, the results will be both good and bad.

Its sad that some churches can make assembling basically like a party/ concert/ all happy but if they start teaching actual technical biblical stuff ( didnt you reply to one of my technical posts before?) i gaurantee those young people would stop coming. Do you think the pastor of these hip churches is just drawing in easy money?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The idea of going to a church to hear a worthy message without any falsehoods is appealing. I personally love the idea of preach and praise and gratitude and all that. I wish it were real, and i wish there were people who could speak with credibility, and power about truth.
I have never found such a thing. If God existed, then perhaps church would be a place of reverance.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
money and joyful emotions are replacing obedience to God

It seems to me that they are following Psalm 100:

Psalm 100 King James Version (KJV)
100 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.

2 Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

3 Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

5 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

Ellen Brown

Its sad that some churches can make assembling basically like a party/ concert/ all happy but if they start teaching actual technical biblical stuff ( didnt you reply to one of my technical posts before?) i gaurantee those young people would stop coming. Do you think the pastor of these hip churches is just drawing in easy money?

So, youi'd

So, you'd assume yourself Godly enough to judge them? Do you have a lack of compassion for others? I'd suggest that life today is so frightening that these previously unchurched young folk are reaching out any way they can?

I can assure you that "Legitimate" stogie churches of the sort that you appear to be defending wouldn't let me worship there, and have made that well known.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Based on a study I saw a few years ago in a Jewish publication that also covered other religions on this, younger people tend to be less dogmatic and more apt to be willing to go beyond just attending services, and I for one applaud that.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think that the "technical biblical stuff" as it is being presented to them is not resonating with their understanding or experience of life. Why would they continue to listen to someone who has no idea what they think or feel, or care?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I'm very tolerant of different styles of worship, but sometimes things reach a point where I start asking, are they there to worship or to be entertained? They seem to confuse worship with feeling good.

Ellen Brown

I'm very tolerant of different styles of worship, but sometimes things reach a point where I start asking, are they there to worship or to be entertained? They seem to confuse worship with feeling good.

I can't argue with you, but I am sick of going to church full of dead people. I'll let God do the judging.