• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Churches and charities.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I don't recall ever reading in the Bible where Jesus or any of his apostles built a lavish church. If I remember, in the sermon on the mount, something about the meek inheriting the earth? And side note for ND.... Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God......

Aqualung

Tasty
jgallandt said:
aqualung, I take it you have never been poor. Never lived on the street. Never had to worry about where you might sleep, or where your next meal would come from. Some people cannot afford to tithe. Some people cannot afford to eat, right here in the good ol' U.S. of A. I take it a person of such would not be aloud to join your church? Seeing they can't tithe?
I've been poor alright. Never that poor, no. If you have an income, you can afford to tithe, especially to a church that uses tithes responsibly. People can afford to tithe if they have a church that actually will help them if they needed the food, and ours does. In my church, I wouldn't need to worry about where to sleep, or where my next meal was coming from, because it has a wide base of tithe payers who would make sure those things were taken care of.

Of course a person who "can't tithe" would be allowed in the church. Then, they would be encouraged to tithe, and they would be helped to get their needs met. Tithing should never be a choice between life and death, and it never is in our church.

It takes an incredible amount of faith and strength - faith in yourself, in others, in God, and in your church - to tithe. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's the lord's will, and it is never impossible.

Aqualung

Tasty
Remember that story in the Bible about the rich man who gave a bunch of money to whoever it was, and then the poor woman who came along and gave her very last penny? Who was it that gave more? It was the poor woman, because she gave all she had. Tithing is like that, except God is only asking 10%, not 100%. It's ten percent for everybody, not just those who feel unselfish enough or well-to-do enough to give their 10%.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I guess that's where we can agree to disagree. To me, tithing should come from the heart. As in the Bible, to give what you can. I respect your beliefs. I just don't respect lavish churches. Give me a country church where the preacher wears off the rack J.C. Penny suits any day. I guess that's why I have so much respect for the Amish. Modest, to say the least.

Aqualung

Tasty
jgallandt said:
I guess that's where we can agree to disagree. To me, tithing should come from the heart. As in the Bible, to give what you can. I respect your beliefs. I just don't respect lavish churches. Give me a country church where the preacher wears off the rack J.C. Penny suits any day. I guess that's why I have so much respect for the Amish. Modest, to say the least.
Our churches are anything but lavish, that's for sure! As far as I can recall (and somebody else can correct me if I'm wrong), they used to be payed for by the locals, not with acutal tithe money.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Tithe: Luke 11:42 Woe to you, Pharisees! You say tithes of mint end of rue and of every garden herb., but you pay no attention to judgement and to love for God. These you should have done, without overlooking the others.... Or Luke 18:10-14. The story of the Pharisee who paid tithes and the tax collector who didn't. The man who didn't went home justified.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
2 Corinthians 8:12 For if the eagerness is there, it is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.
Tithing is a law from the OT. Along with sacrificing animals. In Luke, it states that what is in your heart is much more important that tithing. Paul states to give what you can. And once again, Jesus nor his apostles built a lavish church​

jonny

jgallandt said:
Have you ever been in a Mormon church? I'd hardly use the term "lavish" to describe them. I might use the term plain and boring. Temples can be lavish, but there are very few of them compared to churches. Many of the temples are financed by local members through the church temple fund.

On the matter of tithing, it is an act of faith. You are right when you say that it is a lesser law from the Old Testament. The real commandment is that we should give everything we have in excess to the Lord's church to help others. Not just our money, but our time and talents. 10% is the minimum in my opinion.

I would never dream of not paying my tithe to the church. Everything that I have comes from the Lord. The money isn't mine, it's his. There have been some months where I have paid my tithing, not knowing how I was going to pay my bills. Guess what - I survived! Everything works itself out. If you made 10% less income, you'd figure out a way to make things work out. It's the same with tithing.