• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Churches and charities.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Seems that a lot of churches have and take in a lot of money, but don't do much for charity. I know people get down on the Catholic church for being so rich, but I also see them give more then any other church. A Baptist church we used to go to took in alot of money, but gave none to charity. Are some churches seen more interested in lining their pockets then helping the needy? I always wonder their motives when some churches require you to tithe.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
My local church gives all it can get it's hand on.
Doing enough?
It's a bit like filling the bath with the plug out...It will never be enough.

Terry_______________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Terrywoodenpic said:
My local church gives all it can get it's hand on.
Doing enough?
It's a bit like filling the bath with the plug out...It will never be enough.

Terry_______________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land
God bless you and your church for doing so!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The church I used to attend, sponsored a free pregnancy clinic/home for unwed mothers as well as helping to support a home for battered women and their kids. They also did alot for orphans.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Yes, we do, on a variety of fronts. Can we do more? Probably, and we're always looking for other ways to help.

Aqualung

Tasty
jgallandt said:
Does your church give to the needy? Do you believe they are doing enough?
Our church gives a lot to the needy. It's one of the most effective charities in the world.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Put it this way; I would feel far happier giving to a Church who make themselves responsible for distributing their income, than a public charity.

I was astonished an d upset to hear, the other day that one of the big charities here 'absorbs' 54% of the money given to them......

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I look at some of there lavish places of worship and wonder if they spent less money on building a place that is so.... posh... how much more people could have been fed and clothed?

Scuba Pete

The international churches of Christ feel that buildings are sinful. They make it a point to meet in public places like schools and such.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:
The international churches of Christ feel that buildings are sinful. They make it a point to meet in public places like schools and such.
I take it you mean buildings for meeting as a congregation ?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
michel said:
I was astonished an d upset to hear, the other day that one of the big charities here 'absorbs' 54% of the money given to them......
It fries my head when you see these preachers on tv asking for money for some cause, dressed in tailor made suits, rolex watches and diamond rings.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
NetDoc said:
I feel alot more comfortable giving to a church like that. Why lavish churches? what purpose do they serve?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I think it goes both ways in my Church. Bishops are not financial gurus and make poor decisions with money. But on the other hand some people complaining are the people that don't volunteer, give no money, etc. We are all the Church and need to work together.

~Victor

pandamonk

jgallandt said:
Seems that a lot of churches have and take in a lot of money, but don't do much for charity. I know people get down on the Catholic church for being so rich, but I also see them give more then any other church. A Baptist church we used to go to took in alot of money, but gave none to charity. Are some churches seen more interested in lining their pockets then helping the needy? I always wonder their motives when some churches require you to tithe.
My girlfriend was telling me that her minister is using her churches money to build an extention on his house. Unfortunately i don't know if they give to charty, but i haven't heard of them giving to any charity. They occasionally have a day to raise money for the minister...i mean church, but thats it.:D

Popeyesays

jgallandt said:
Does your church give to the needy? Do you believe they are doing enough?
In my faith we do not accept contributions from those who are not declared members of the Baha`i Faith. That means if you are not a Baha`i we do not accept contributed funds at all.

As to what is done with it, the faith spends the money in many ways including charity to worthy causes and disaster relief. BUt money is used to build Temples - a new one going up in Chile over the next couple years, that will be the eighth in the world. We spent funds to modernize and complete the terraces involved with the world center on Mount Carmel in cooperation with a great deal of work done to modernize the City of Haifa by the Israeli government.

It takes money to administer a world-wide faith, and in my opinion that is money well spent. We have no clergy, of course, and we contribute funds to local, regional, national and international funds.

Regards,

Scott

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Do you feel some churches have 'membership drives' to spread the word of God, or maybe to increase the amount the church brings in in the way of tithe?

Popeyesays

jgallandt said:
Do you feel some churches have 'membership drives' to spread the word of God, or maybe to increase the amount the church brings in in the way of tithe?
I think actual "face to face" religious communities grow out of a sense of service not greed. I think televangelists who do not create a face to face community may - in some instances - be more interested in their pocket books than their sense of service. But I would only say that in particular instances, not as a blanket statement.

Regards,
Scott

Scuba Pete

Probably not... they make most people uncomfortable with their level of indoctrination.

jgallandt said:
I feel alot more comfortable giving to a church like that. Why lavish churches? what purpose do they serve?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
jgallandt said:
Buildings, art, sculptures, scents of candles, are ancient ways of communicating a truth to the people. It's well worth the money if it gets people to heaven...;)

~Victor