• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Church of the Brethren

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Church of the Brethren

The Church of the Brethren was organized by Alexander Mack, a miller, in Schwarzenau, Germany, in 1708. The Church of the Brethren began as a melding of Pietist and Anabaptist ideas. The first church in America was established in 1723. These churches became commonly known as German Baptist Brethren. The denomination holds the New Testament as its only creed. Historically the church has taken a strong stance for non-resistance or pacifism. Distinctive practices include believers baptism by trine immersion, a three-fold Love Feast consisting of feet washing, a fellowship meal, and communion, anointing for healing, and the holy kiss.

The Brethren state that they have "no creed but the New Testament." The early Brethren were very meticulous in applying the New Testament to every situation. For example, they baptize in a forward direction because "we are baptized into his death," and at the moment of his death, Jesus' head fell forward.

When disagreements arise as to the correct interpretation of New Testament passages, the final authority for settling such disputes is the Annual Conference. The minutes of Annual Conference give a clear picture of what matters have been in dispute and how Brethren interpret the New Testament.

Brethren espouse the basic beliefs of mainstream, Protestant Christianity, such as the divinity of Christ. They emphasize peace, simplicity, the equality of believers, and consistent obedience to Christ.

They also believe that "faith without works is dead" (James 2:20), and have been heavily involved in disaster relief and other charitable work. Brethren often describe themselves in terms of what they do rather than what they believe. » Click to read the entire article.

I remember one girl and I in high school... she was of the Brethren. All I could gather was that it was like an anabaptist-based Church where the women cover their heads and use the Darby Bible. XD

I told her, as a Catholic, women used to cover their heads until the 60's, and now no one does it.

"That's stupid!" She said. She also complained that the Hawai'ian language is stupid because it had so few consonants. She was fun! XD