• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chuck Wendig on Women

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So I've been reading a lot of blog posts by author Chuck Wendig, mostly about writing, but he also wrote some good ones on gender and sexism.

Boy Toys, Girl Toys (kind of his main gender/feminism article)

25 Things to Know about Sexism & Misogyny in Writing and Publishing

Manly Men Tales

I think he writes in a really funny way too while also getting to the serious core of things. Anyway I recommend some of his work, and particularly relevant here are his articles on gender roles, sexism, etc. Great and accurate stuff, imo.

Boy Toys said:
Boys love trucks.

It’s true. My son? If “toddler” was a marrying age, he’d probably marry a truck. I don’t know what kind of truck, exactly — he can be a little fickle on that front, but if I had to put money down, I’d say he’d wanna marry a tractor trailer. Maybe, maybe, a tow truck. Though he does have a new crane he’s pretty enamored with? ****, I dunno. We’ve started him on Transformers: Rescue Bots, and they’re like a gateway drug to other toys — they’re trucks, you see, that turn into people. This is how we get him to Batman, I figure. Or Star Wars. Whatever.

Point is: boys love trucks.

And girls also love trucks, too.

Any time my son is near to a girl around his age, the girl wants to play with his trucks. And why wouldn’t she? Trucks are kinda bad-***. Big wheels and they make noise and they do **** and you can push them and crash them into other trucks and trucks are a ******* blast, shut up.

Girls love dolls.

Boys also love dolls.

My son sees a doll, he wants to play with that ****. And not just in a traditionally boy way — it’s not like he’s picking up the doll and getting into an MMA fight with it. He talks to dolls and plays with them almost as if they’re other children. If it’s a baby doll, he wants to take care of it.

Girls love kitchen stuff.

My son — drum roll please – also plays with kitchen stuff. He has a little kitchen area at his Mom-Mom’s house where he cooks up fake food and serves it. Just yesterday he made me some kind of invisible plate of mac-and-cheese which, tantalizingly, was too hot to eat for a long while until B-Dub cooled it down (by spluttering on it). Then for some reason he ate his like a dog? I dunno. Toddlers are basically tiny drunken chimpanzee robots trying to figure out how to be people.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I've been reading some of this too on occasion. Totally recommended. Thanks for the suggestion!!