• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chronological Order of Religions

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hinduism's pretty old, probably at least 4,000 years, likely older. No-one really knows, or rather, many claim to know but they all disagree with each other.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Hinduism is generally regarded as the oldest organized religion still around today.

If we do this correctly, we must start with the very first humans, and we will begin at the Togo Bottleneck, when only around 1000 "modern" humans existed (keep in mind, this is theoretical):

Proto-Migration Religion (at the time of the Togo Bottleneck) (pre-100,000 years ago estimate)
Various forms of Earth Mother Worship (Post 80000-90000 years ago)
It gets complicated here, because of the migration. We see shamanism, and other forms of animism, as well as various true polytheistic religions, which are the base for coming religions. No monotheism exists yet, besides the possibility of the Earth Mother religion. Religion changes little, as culture is still weak.

We are at about 12000BC, and can reliably say that all inhabitable continents are inhabited. The evolution of different religions is rapidly accelerating. Druidry and Asatru are developing synchronously, and are in place all along Europe, into Asia, and partly into northern Africa south of Spain. Africa is largely shamanistic, and Earth Motherists still, though inklings of future voodoo exist. Northern Asia is mainly shamnistic. I'm unsure about southern Asia at this time, but I expect it to be mainly polytheistic. North America is largely shamanistic, but some groups (the Inuit, for one), are polytheistic. South America is shamanistic, with some areas of polytheism. Oceania I am also unsure of, sorry. Australia is probably largely Shamanistic.

6000BC

Hinduism has been verifiably proven to exist at this point, although it most likely existed earlier as well. Zoroastrianism is around, possibly, along with Jainism, and some others. Druidry and Asatru still hold sway over Europe, parts of Asia, and parts of Africa, and will do so until the time of the Roman protectoratisms. Again, I am sorry about Asia and Oceania. Australia is still shamanistic, and will remain so until the European colonization. North America is the same as before, but South America's polytheism has been growing, with proto-Mayan, Incan and Aztec religions growing in popularity.

I will continue later. This is getting very complex and I need a break. If I am wrong, please let me know!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
the oldest evidence of Spirituality predates Humanity with the Neandertal... there may be some evidence for spiritual thought in H.erectus, but its still being debated.

That puts 'religion' at 200,000 years old (H. neandertalis) to over one million years old (H.erectus)

wa:do

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I once saw a huge poster that had the Chronological Order of all major world Religions... I should have bought it then, because I haven't seen it since. :rolleyes:

Anyway.... here's a very simple one that seems to be unbiased (some sites I looked at put there religion as the oldest whether it was true or not): http://www.sacred-texts.com/time/origtime.htm

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
painted wolf said:
the oldest evidence of Spirituality predates Humanity with the Neandertal... there may be some evidence for spiritual thought in H.erectus, but its still being debated.

That puts 'religion' at 200,000 years old (H. neandertalis) to over one million years old (H.erectus)

wa:do
I take the evidence of an early date for religion as evidence that humans are genetically predisposed to religious behavior.

Rex

Founder
Maize said:
I once saw a huge poster that had the Chronological Order of all major world Religions... I should have bought it then, because I haven't seen it since. :rolleyes:

Anyway.... here's a very simple one that seems to be unbiased (some sites I looked at put there religion as the oldest whether it was true or not): http://www.sacred-texts.com/time/origtime.htm
Enjoy:

http://www.parthenongraphics.com/

wreastfs.gif

wrwestfs.gif

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
This only goes back to 300 B.C

http://religion-cults.com/Overview/chronology.htmhttp://religion-cults.com/Overview/chronology.htmhttp://religion-cults.com/Overview/chronology.htmhttp://religion-cults.com/Overview/chronology.htm:)

3000 BC:...Animism... Spiritism... Witchcraft... Divination... Ancestors...Yang- Yin... Hindus

2000 BC: ABRAHAM
1600 BC: Egypt (1600-1200)
1500: MOSES (Bible)-Hindu VEDAS.
1000: David, Solomon-Assyria (Ninive).
700: Isaiah... Upanishads (Hindus).
660: SHINTO (Japan).
628: Zoroaster... Chaldea (Babylonia).
604: Daniel... TAOISM (Lao Zi).
599: Jainism.
551: CONFUCIANISM (Kongzi).
528: BUDDHISM- Persia (536-330).
270: Emp. Asoka of India, converts to Buddhism.
330: Greece (330-146).
200: Ramayana... Mahabaratha-Gita.
146: Maccabees (174-134)- Syria, Damascus Rome (146 BC- 476 AC).

0-33 JESUS CHRIST- CHRISTIANS. Catholic Church, with "Peter".

1 AC: Buddhism in China
50-150 AC: Christian New Testament.
313 AC: Christianity, the Official Religion of the Roman Empire... Mayas (300-800).
550: Buddhism in Japan.
610: KORAN REVEALED TO MOHAMMED- Tantrism, with "mantras" (Hindus).
622: The "Hegira": Mecca to Medina.
632: Abu Bakr succeeds Mohammed.
685: "Shi'te" movement of Islam.
691:Dome of the Rock built- Buddhism. in Tibet- Zen Buddhism in China.
1054: CHRISTIAN ORTHODOX Schism- Incas (1000-1500).
1096: First persecution of Jews in Europe.
1135: Moses Maimonides (Jew).
1300: Bhakti Hindus.
1467: SIKHISM (Nanac).
1492: Jews out of Spain- America Discovered.
1517: MARTIN LUTHER, Protestant Reform - Aztecs (1400-1500).
1518: (Reformation). Ulrich Zwingli.
1534: Church of England. Henry VIII.
1536: Calvinism. J. Calvin (Presbyterians).
1545-63: Council of Trent, of the Catholics.
1560: Presbyterians. John Knox.
1582: Congregationalism. Robert Brown.
1605: Baptists. John Smith.
1620: Episcopalians. Samuel Seabury.
1717: FREEMASONRY, Tavern of London.
1744: Methodists, John and Charles Wesley.
1774: Unitarians, Theophilus Lindsay.
1818: Adventists. William Miller.
1829: Mormons. Joseph Smith.
1844: Baha'ism. Nirza Ali Muhammed.
1848: Spiritualism. Sisters Fox.
1852: Jehovah's Witnesses. Charles Russell.
1865: Salvation Army. Michaelis Jones.
1870: Vetero-Catholics. Doelinger.
1875: Theosophy. Petrovna Blavatsky.
1879: Christian Science. Mary Baker.
1900: Pentecostals. Charles Pelham.
1915: Rosicrucians. Spencer Lewis.
1919: COMMUNISM. Marx, Lenin.
1934: Worldwide Church of God. Armstrong.
1935: est (Erhard Seminar Training). Ehrhard.
1936: Moonies, Unif. Church. Sun M. Moon.
1944: Silva Mind Control. Jose Silva.
1947: New State of Israel.
1954: Scientology. Lafayette R. Hubbard.
1960: Rajmeesheism. Bhagwan R. Rajneesh.
1965: Hermandad Pio X. Cardinal Lefevbre- Transcendental Meditation. Maharishi.
1966: Hare Krishnas. B. Prabhupada.
1969: Children of God. David "Moses" Berg- Palmar de Troya. Clemente Dominguez.
1962-65: Council Vatican II, of the Catholics.
1988: A woman-priest, in U.S. Episcopal.
1991: Religious freedom granted in USSR.
1993: Waco, Branch Davidian Cult killing.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Good point Painted Wolf. Have you read up on some of the evidence they had for it? It's very intriguing.

For instance, the seven lion heads, or the red paint. Both quite mysterious.

I find it interesting that had the Romans not taken Gaul and much of the rest of Europe as protectorates (before the advent of Christianity), that practically all caucasians would be Druidic, or Asatru, today.

What have the Romans ever done for us? ;)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Druidus said:
We are at about 12000BC, and can reliably say that all inhabitable continents are inhabited. The evolution of different religions is rapidly accelerating. Druidry and Asatru are developing synchronously, and are in place all along Europe, into Asia, and partly into northern Africa south of Spain.
Where might I find evidence of 12,000 BCE "Druidry and Asatru ... in place all along Europe, into Asia, and partly into northern Africa south of Spain."?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Sorry Deut, I should have clarified. I meant those religions and religions like them.

Iberia, Gaul, Sarmatae, Scythia, Germania, the Norse lands, were pretty much all "Celtic" religions, like Druidry and Asatru. Sarmatia and Scythia were the Asian ones.

Cultural exchange occurred and some places, like Sarmatae (which extends into Asia), had a few Zoroaster worshippers and such, but mainly they were Celtic.

Iberia had contact with a small part of northern Africa, and likely, some people in this part of Africa worshipped the Gods of the Iberians.

By no means were the Gods of all these peoples the same, but they were closely akin, as the Romans and Greeks.

I don't know where you could get proof of that, however. I got it from a book on the history of culture, religion, and society, at the library. I don't remember the name, but tomorrow, when the weather clears up (blizzard), I'll see if I can get you the name.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Druidus said:
Are you saying there were none at 12,000BC?
Actually, a careful examination of my posts will show that I'm saying that I'd appreciate your sources on 12,000 BCE religion. If you find the request somehow threatening, simply ignore it. :rolleyes:

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Deut, you misunderstand me. I want to know which part of my statement you want the source for. Is it the Druidry/Asatru part, the time part, or the where part? If it is time, I can give you a myriad of sources suggesting that religion existed beforehand. If it is the fact that Druidry and Asatru did not exist yet, yes, I agree with you. What existed was the precursor to both religions. Pre-Druidry/Asatru, if you will.

If it is for the entire group of 12000BC religions, that I posted, I believe part of it was from a book, which I will get the name of for you, part of it from a TV show on Discovery about the evolution of culture, and part of it on various sites on the internet.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
organized religion in South America around 4000 years ago. :D
“Like the cross, the Staff God is a clearly recognizable religious icon,” says Jonathan Haas, MacArthur curator of North American anthropology at The Field Museum. “This appears to be the oldest identifiable religious icon found in the Americas. It indicates that organized religion began in the Andes more than 1,000 years earlier than previously thought.”
from:http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-04/fm-sfa040803.php[size=-1][/size]wa:do