1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christ's resentment of the rich

Discussion in 'Biblical Debates' started by PopeADope, Aug 20, 2019.

1. PopeADope

PopeADope Habemus papam

Ratings:
    +5,820
    Religion:
    Amish Taliban
    Christ:
    Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God

Christ really has a tight immigration policy regarding the kingdom of God. He really has a strong distaste for rich people, making it next to impossible for them to enter.

What are your thoughts on that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,893
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    I always thought it was a bit like Buddhism. Your attachments cause you to suffer.

Maybe Jesus saw heaven as here and now, freedom from the sufferings of the world. People at the time couldn't figure it out so that thought he was referring to so spiritual place you go after you die.

Be funny if when people die Jesus tells them that heaven was where they just left. Their life on earth was their one chance to experience heaven and they blew it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +1,364
    I don't see that Christ has any distaste for rich people, only a distaste for the fact that rich people can too easily turn their riches into their god.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,268
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    It isn't money but the love of it that causes the problem. The more you have the less you need God. The less you have, the more you need money. Then there is no time for God.

Solomon said "give me neither poverty nor riches" because each of those leads to discontent. A discontented person is always distracted.

• Like Like x 2
  5. leov

leov Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +452
    Religion:
    christian
    Can not serve two masters...

6. leov

leov Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +452
    Religion:
    christian
    Can not serve two masters...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thirza Fallen

Thirza Fallen Crazy Cat Lady

Ratings:
    +668
    Religion:
    Agnostic Pantheist/Unitarian Universalist
    The Bible strongly advocates taking care of the poor, widows and orphans. There were built in laws that reduced the wealth gap. Jesus continued with that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thirza Fallen

Thirza Fallen Crazy Cat Lady

Ratings:
    +668
    Religion:
    Agnostic Pantheist/Unitarian Universalist
    The Kingdom of God/Heaven was here and now for Jesus. That got twisted later on in history by his supposed followers.

9. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +953
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe you are imposing your own thoughts on Jesus. There is no indication that He has anything against wealthy people.

I believe that is true. The gate is narrow but the good news is that Jesus is the gatekeeper.

10. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +953
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe the Buddha missed the fact that that is relative. If you are trying to get through a narrow gate with a lot of baggage either one must let go of the baggage or not get through the gate. Otherwise one may travel with as much baggage as one wishes. These days one does not get through the gate at the airport with too much baggage or the wrong things in it.

I believe if that were the case He wouldn't have had us pray for it. "May it be on earth as it is in Heaven."

I believe that can never happen this side of Heaven. It is the price for having life.

I believe there is no evidence to support that view.

11. Muffled

Muffled Jesus in me

Ratings:
    +953
    Religion:
    Christian
    I believe the Kingdom of God is within us but that becomes an actual place when the subjects are all gathered together in one place.

I believe a lot of people confuse the Kingdom of heaven with Heaven. They are not the same thing

• Like Like x 1