• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christopher Hitchens is wrong to say “There is no Eastern solution”

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

There is truthful Eastern as well as Middle-Eastern solution but Christopher Hitchens could not discern it.
Reference Christopher Hitchens’ book “God is not great”, Chapter Fourteen page-195
I refute his allegations.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Also, could you provide a bit more context with regards to Hitchens' claim? What, specifically, was he talking about?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Hitchens is simply wrong. He seems to have never studied any revealed religion deeply from the root sources of them as he has quoted none for proving his view point.
The correct way for query and investigation into a religion is its study from the root sources and the study of life of its founder as depicted from them.

To make basis of query into a religion/s from what the corrupt clergy believe and do or the rulers do or the ignorant public do at a point of time, is an unreasonable and unscientific approach and bound to fail and fall to wrong conclusions; and very naturally too.

The founders of all the revealed religions always had a humane approach but the clergy and rulers get hardened due to their politics and their vested interests.

It is an illusion to judge religions and their founders from the beliefs and the misdeeds of the clergy or priesthood or rulers or the public.

Christopher Hitchens has exactly done like this in this chapter and in the whole book also at different places.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Then, quote precisely where he is wrong and provide evidence to prove that he is.

You have thus far done exactly what you condemn him for--made allegations and nothing more than that.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
I am a fan of Hitchens, if you want to see a man who can back up claims that he makes, listen to him talk. Just google Christopher Hitchens debate mp3 or something and a ton will come up...very few have been able to have a "gotcha" moment with him, it is him who speaks clearly, rationally and can back up every claim he makes and/or disputes.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

There is truthful Eastern as well as Middle-Eastern solution but Christopher Hitchens could not discern it.
Reference Christopher Hitchens’ book “God is not great”, Chapter Fourteen page-195
I refute his allegations.

What allegations are you refuting?

I'm familiar with Hitchens' arguments and criticisms of Buddhism, and he makes some outstanding points, such as the notion of disarming the mind and the feudalism in Tibet as examples of being "unenlightened."

I'm okay with the finger pointing at Buddhism for it's ills. We deserve it. Now we learn from it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hitchens is simply wrong. He seems to have never studied any revealed religion deeply from the root sources of them as he has quoted none for proving his view point.
The correct way for query and investigation into a religion is its study from the root sources and the study of life of its founder as depicted from them.

To make basis of query into a religion/s from what the corrupt clergy believe and do or the rulers do or the ignorant public do at a point of time, is an unreasonable and unscientific approach and bound to fail and fall to wrong conclusions; and very naturally too.

The founders of all the revealed religions always had a humane approach but the clergy and rulers get hardened due to their politics and their vested interests.

It is an illusion to judge religions and their founders from the beliefs and the misdeeds of the clergy or priesthood or rulers or the public.

Christopher Hitchens has exactly done like this in this chapter and in the whole book also at different places.
What exactly do you think defines a religion? Personally, I think it's the beliefs and practices of its members.

If he's criticizing modern Buddhism and you follow some set of teachings that you think modern Buddhists should follow but don't, then it seems to me that he's not criticizing your religion.

Beyond that, it's just a question of whether you or the other people have the right to the word "Buddhist", but it's so old that I'd say it's safely in the public domain, so you're probably not going to have much luck in stopping them from calling themselves Buddhists.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Well if Hitchens was wrong, I'm sure God would strike him dead. Am I right?....or maybe it was a slow form of suicide.

Hitchens admitted to drinking heavily; in 2003 he wrote that his daily intake of alcohol was enough "to kill or stun the average mule", arguing that many great writers "did some of their finest work when blotto, smashed, polluted, *********, squiffy, whiffled, and three sheets to the wind."
Christopher Hitchens (Writer) - Pics, Videos, Dating, News, & Net Worth

"Usually armed with a glass of Scotch and an untipped Rothmans cigarette."
Christopher Hitchens

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
Hitch stated near the end that he always knew he had a good chance of dying as a result of his indulgences in smokes and booze.

Slow suicide or simply being realistic about pleasures you enjoy? I suppose it depends upon one's perspective.

Personally, I thought he went out with style, his typically wicked humor and dignity.

Road Warrior

fantôme profane;2927574 said:
Wow, do you really think this is funny of clever? Amazing that the very same person who is set against mocking would mock someone's death like this.

I think Hitch would have appreciated the humor even though you are using it as a weapon.

A Troubled Man

Well if Hitchens was wrong, I'm sure God would strike him dead. Am I right?....or maybe it was a slow form of suicide.

"Usually armed with a glass of Scotch and an untipped Rothmans cigarette."
From the very same source almost immediately following that statement...

"He welcomes being attacked as a drinker 'because I always think it's a sign of victory when they move on to the ad hominem.' He drinks, he says, 'because it makes other people less boring. I have a great terror of being bored. But I can work with or without it. It takes quite a lot to get me to slur.'

I do recall someone here coming up with a list that had something to do with Critique vs. Criticism attempting to refute mocking and ridicule. I wonder who that was?

Road Warrior

I love it when people attack me for quoting Hitchens' own words.

Geez, bad mouth Muhammad or Jesus and some people clap, but make a joke even Hitch would have enjoyed and watch the claws come out. Who says atheism isn't a religion?