• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas music survey

My feelings towards Christmas music is I ...

• love it

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • like some and dislike some

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • am ambivalent, I have no particular feelings about it

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • don’t like it

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • hate it

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • never heard any (really?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • am deaf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • write Christmas music for a living, so sue me

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

pearl

Yes that one is quite good too - and also has a good descant, which I sang at the same carol service all those years ago. Though the English translation does not quite fit the music: "Ve-ery God be / gotten not created." :confused:

I could not open the attachment, unfortunately. But there are some that just do not lend themselves to English with the same depth of spirit.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
This hymns are my favorite traditional Christmas songs and were my favorite of the Midnight Mass songs to sing and hear:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I quite enjoy Annie Lennox's Christmas album, too. She chose to focus on traditional hymns instead of the secular stuff and that was a great choice:

pearl

iStock-984098488.jpg.jpg

“Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” was actually written to honor not the baby Jesus but the printing press? O.K., not the lyrics—although points to anyone who immediately tried to reinterpret the song as a crypto-Enlightenment hymn to Johannes Gutenberg. But as New Jersey conductor and choir director Colin Britt explains in this week’s eponymous episode of “Hark!,” the tune that would be grafted onto a Christmas poem to form one of our most popular Christmas carols was originally written by German composer Felix Mendelssohn to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the printing press. “Fatherland, in your area, the gold day dawned! Gutenberg, the German man lit the torch!” It just rolls off the lips, doesn’t it?
There’s a reason you love to belt out ‘Hark! The Herald Angels Sing’ | America Magazine