• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas music survey

My feelings towards Christmas music is I ...

• love it

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • like some and dislike some

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • am ambivalent, I have no particular feelings about it

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • don’t like it

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • hate it

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • never heard any (really?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • am deaf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • write Christmas music for a living, so sue me

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
How do you feel about Christmas music?

I like some and dislike some. Really, the only Christmas music that I like is the joyful or reverent kind that's instrumental and used in the background of a television show or film.

Many people cannot stand Christmas music. You know what would make the music worse? If it were performed by Joy Division. :tongueclosed:

Jedster

@Shaul

The only song I like is by the Four Seasons and for some reason I don't know anyone else who likes it. They say is sounds like a screaming mess. I Can't imagine why :rolleyes:

exchemist

Veteran Member
This question is too loose to be answered properly. If by Christmas music you mean traditional carols, or works such as Bach's Christmas Oratorio or Britten's Ceremony of Carols, then I love them and look forward eagerly to the season each year to hear (and sing) them once again.

Here is Britten's This Little Babe:

If you mean the schmalzy crap blasted out of supermarket speaker systems to get people's shopping glands working, such as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Jingle Bells, or I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas, then I hate them with an all-consuming passion and can't get out of the shop fast enough.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
love those last 3 choices. :p

I hate being barraged by them in stores. Seems so commercialized. Oh, BTW:

11 Iconic Christmas Songs That Were Written By Jews – Kveller
This list leaves out the most obviously iconic of all, which is also the best by a country mile: Hark the Herald Angels Sing, by Mendelssohn:

This performance includes the now traditional descant added by David Willcox, in verse 3, at 02:20. This is one of the better, i.e. non-cheesy, descants;), which I still have happy memories of singing, at St Margaret's Westminster, as a 13yr old treble.

This joyful and triumphant carol has been a fixture in almost every English carol service for the last century.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I love it mostly,you know it’s Xmas when the pogues fairy tale of New York plays on the radio,curiously I like Gregorian chants at Xmas ,no idea what they’re singing though :-/ but apart from Paul McCartney “simply having a wonderful Christmas time” I’ll go with the flow.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Yes. Is that significant here?

You're the one who replied to my list with "This list leaves out the most obviously iconic of all"

I simply pointed out that it would have been #12 on that list I linked, but since he was an MJ
the creator of that list left him out, assuming he wasn't a Jew. But he was. #12 verified.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You're the one who replied to my list with "This list leaves out the most obviously iconic of all"

I simply pointed out that it would have been #12 on that list I linked, but since he was an MJ
the creator of that list left him out, assuming he wasn't a Jew. But he was. #12 verified.
Good, we're agreed then: an egregious omission by the compiler of that list.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't like it anymore, seems like a natural progression as one grows up, but there are a few exceptions like Snoopy and the Red Baron, and a few musicals like Scrooge with Albert Finny.

pearl

If you mean the schmalzy crap blasted out of supermarket speaker systems to get people's shopping glands working, such as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Jingle Bells, or I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas, then I hate them with an all-consuming passion and can't get out of the shop fast enough.

Absolutely! Its difficult to choose a single favorite, but this would be the one

Adeste fideles

exchemist

Veteran Member
Absolutely! Its difficult to choose a single favorite, but this would be the one

Adeste fideles
Yes that one is quite good too - and also has a good descant, which I sang at the same carol service all those years ago. Though the English translation does not quite fit the music: "Ve-ery God be / gotten not created." :confused:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    137 bytes · Views: 0