• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas Dinner

sugnim

If you celebrate Christmas, is there a traditional meal that you prepare? If so, how did that meal become your tradition?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If you celebrate Christmas, is there a traditional meal that you prepare? If so, how did that meal become your tradition?
We have a vegan roast

As one of us is vegan

We've been doing this since this person turned vegan numerous years ago, and it is now a tradition

Before this we'd have a roast turkey meal

amorphous_constellation

well my job has a christmas dinner they buy from a catering company, they bring in a vat full of these cordon bleu things but I think they are made of turkey instead of chicken... looking forward to that very soon.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I always make Christmas puddings*, which are traditional in England. How did it become my tradition? Because, er, it was traditional. :confused:

Am I missing something?

*Recipe given on another thread, here: Today is Stir Up Sunday

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Ham sandwiches and home made potato soup. Cuts down on the hectic and time consuming cooking and eating, and lets the kids hit the presents that much sooner.

PureX

Veteran Member
Turkey for Thanksgiving, ham for Christmas, and roast pork for New Years. I don't know where it came from.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Always have a full roast dinner usually turkey.
In recent years we go to our daughter's along with my Mum and Dad; there are about a dozen of us.
Turkey ordered for this year - I'll be picking it up from our local butcher on Tuesday - there'll be a big queue from 8:00am.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We will be having a seven course meal on 23rd, Saturnalia. Main meal will consist of turkey with everything, except my vegetarian daughter who will be having a homemade nut roast.

On Christmas day we will be visiting friends up in the mountains (if the weather holds), i have no idea what we will be having other that it being a traditional french country Christmas dinner!

How saturnalia came to our house. Over the years we have held various mid winter celebrations, really for the kids education. Last year they chose to stick with Saturnalia because they get more presents for longer and on 23rd one of them gets to be king or queen of the home for a day and lord it over everyone else

Altfish

Veteran Member
We will be having a seven course meal on 23rd, Saturnalia. Main meal will consist of turkey with everything, except my vegetarian daughter who will be having a homemade nut roast.

On Christmas day we will be visiting friends up in the mountains (if the weather holds), i have no idea what we will be having other that it being a traditional french country Christmas dinner!

How saturnalia came to our house. Over the years we have held various mid winter celebrations, really for the kids education. Last year they chose to stick with Saturnalia because they get more presents for longer and on 23rd one of them gets to be king or queen of the home for a day and lord it over everyone else
That sounds great; perhaps when the parents have left this earth we may be able to pull that off

pearl

I make sure I save enough to serve a tenderloin roast or two, last year there were 16 of us.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That sounds great; perhaps when the parents have left this earth we may be able to pull that off

It keeps the kids happy

And we have never been to a traditional french Christmas dinner on Christmas day before. The village club always throw one but its usually in early December at a half decent restaurant or hotel.