• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians, Why Jehovah?

nutshell

Halcyon said:
My question is simply, why did the early Gentiles switch, and why to modern Gentiles keep to that decision?

Well, perhaps the answer to that question is the Roman Empire declared Christianity the official religion, leaving the Greek and "pagan" traditions behind.

SCIRLIN

God cant have a name like Thor or baal :bonk:

God the father? Jehova is jesus? How many gods do you worship?
So christians worship these gods:

1 maria the mother of god :biglaugh:

2 the holy ghost

3 Jesus the jehova god :areyoucra

4 God the father :areyoucra

How many gods will the christians worship in the further? Paulus the son of jesus?

nutshell

SCIRLIN said:
God cant have a name like Thor or baal :bonk:

God the father? Jehova is jesus? How many gods do you worship?
So christians worship these gods:

1 maria the mother of god :biglaugh:

2 the holy ghost

3 Jesus the jehova god :areyoucra

4 God the father :areyoucra

How many gods will the christians worship in the further? Paulus the son of jesus?

It's not that complicated. The bottom line is we (LDS) worship God the Father and we are eternally grateful to Jesus Christ. We do not worship the Holy Ghost or Mary.

:) I personally feel that the God jesus prayed to was the same God in the old testament, but also i belive him to be none other than sri-krsna himself, it just that in krsna we see God the father manifested in physical form in a diffrent culture during a diffrent point in time but the message is basically the same, but in the age of kali-yuga he sent his son for benefit of all poius souls that they may abtain him thru the son as another path to follow.

Adstar

Halcyon said:
Ok, you believe Jesus was the son of God, and Jesus also happened to be a Jew. Take these as undisputed facts for the sake of this argument.
Halcyon said:

Now, most Christians today are Gentiles. St. Paul brought the teachings of Jesus and the belief in his divinity to the Gentiles from what was a strictly Jewish sect.

Why then do Gentiles suddenly believe the god of the Jews is the God of us all?
It takes quite a major change in viewpoint to go from believing in your own God/s to believing in the Jewish God. And the only reason for doing so is because Jesus and Paul were Jewish.

You can accept that Jesus is the son of god, but why must you also accept that his father is the Jewish God?

That’s the power of the Gospel, to turn Europeans, Asians, Africans and people from all other parts of the Word to follow the God of The Jews. Of course we believe He is the One and Only God of all existence. Who decided to work through the Jews. We can speculate as to why He chose to use the Jews and what He actually was doing by using the Jews, But the Law was delivered through the Jews and the Messiah was born of a Jewish mother. So be it.

Acts 10
34 Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. 35 But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

d.

_______
Halcyon said:
What i'm saying is, if a man came along claiming to be the son of God, and you believed in say Thor - you would assume him to be the son of Thor would you not?

i know i'm nitpicking, but the ancient norse religion doesn't work that way. it's polytheistic. if somebody came to sweden or norway in the 9th century claiming to be the son of god, people would ask 'which one'?

carry on. :)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Halcyon said:
The way i see it, ancient peoples all believed that their God was the one and only God (or group of Gods) of all. The Jews claim is not unique, and is totally to be expected. Do you think that the followers of Baal would have worshipped Baal had they not believed him to be the true God?

That's simply not true of any number of polytheistic societies. Many were quite happy to co-opt the deities of other religions when they cam across them and add them into their pantheon. The Greeks are known to have co-opted deities from the sub-carpathian region (Thracia and Dacia, for example) and Egypt. The Romans were no less syncretistic (probably more so in fact). A worshipper of many of these gods, even if a monolator (worshipper of only one in a pantheon) would not have considered their god the true god at all, but rather one of a number of true gods. I would agree that the Jewish claim was not unique, but it was certainly in a very small minority of the extant religions in claiming one true god.

That was precisely one of the reasons Christianity so perplexed Roman society and lead to the accusation that Christians were atheists. They didn't believe in the gods, but said that there was only one true God instead. I cannot comprehend how a Christian could believe that God referred to any other god than the God of Abraham, though clearly some groups did, in following their syncretistic non-Christian forebears. Had Christianity simply declared that Christ was the son of a god I can't see that the faith would have been persecuted as it was, as it wouldn't have been accused of atheism and undermining the values of the Empire.

James

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I agree, James. If the Christians had just come along and said "Hey, this is our god and this guy Jesus, was his son and this is sort of how it went down..." the Romans probably would have said, "Oh. Sort of like Hercules, huh? Okay, bit weird, but okay." Once they started saying their god was the One and Only God and that all the Roman gods were false/evil/demons, the Romans started the unpleasantries with them.

If that had been how it went, I don't think any of the polytheistic traditions around at the time would have had any problems with the Christians. Just another god fathering a mortal son who did some great stuff. Nice stories, but nothing that unusual. Jove did it all the time!