• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians. Why do you respect a God that kills humans and does not denounce slavery?

A

angellous_evangellous

King was not in the Bible and slavery is here and now.
The Bible is mute on the subject. What does that tell you?

Regards
DL

DL,

Thoughtlessly trolling the Bible and Christians is just as tasteless and artless as a Christian who is as thoroughly brainwashed into thinking that the entire Bible is squeaky clean and happy. You're right, the Bible does not condemn slavery. But the message of love, hope, and peace in the Bible has been used by Christians and non-Christians alike to end slavery.

kdrier

Revolutionist
If we are made in His immage then all mysteries should be eventually understood.

Understood by whom? us? I'm under the impression christians believe god, as well as his actions, are something we could never comprehend.

Greatest I am

DL,

Thoughtlessly trolling the Bible and Christians is just as tasteless and artless as a Christian who is as thoroughly brainwashed into thinking that the entire Bible is squeaky clean and happy. You're right, the Bible does not condemn slavery. But the message of love, hope, and peace in the Bible has been used by Christians and non-Christians alike to end slavery.

True but to leave the Bible as is is wrong.
Remember that the slave owners of old also used the Bible to justify slavery in the first place. Any good Bible should have denounced forcfully the ideas of slavery as well as the denegration of women and Gays.

Why does God not speak to abolish slavery? The fact that it does not tells us exactly who was deciding what went into the Bible. Self serving men of power.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Understood by whom? us? I'm under the impression christians believe god, as well as his actions, are something we could never comprehend.

If we are in God's immage and Him in ours then all we have to do is look deep within our own minds.

If God is never to be understood then how can we ever say that we are following Him.
How then can God ask us to follow when He does not tell us where to go?

Regards
DL

A

angellous_evangellous

Remember that the slave owners of old also used the Bible to justify slavery in the first place. Any good Bible should have denounced forcfully the ideas of slavery as well as the denegration of women and Gays.

Why does God not speak to abolish slavery? The fact that it does not tells us exactly who was deciding what went into the Bible. Self serving men of power.

Regards
DL

You're serving yourself by trolling it.:eek:

Greatest I am

DL,

The Bible, as has been the US past, was used to justify slavery so the love you speak of may be well hidden.

Regards
DL

ravenstrike

Court Jester
There was a quote i read once
"Religion has convinced us that there is an invisible man, who watches us all the time. And this Invisible man has ten specific things that we shouldn't do. And if you do them, he will cast you into a place of fire and agony, to burn for all of eternity, in fire, smoke, and agony. And you will scream until the end of time. But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs your money!"
forgive me if i got this incorrect, i wrote it from memory.

GayAtheist

I don't know anyone would give this bi-polar sky fairy, you call "god" the time of day. According to your bible, your "god" killed 2,038,334 people, while "satan" has killed 10.

That says it all really. If you feel the need the follow someone like that, your morals, values and mentality are very questionable!

GayAtheist

It was also used to condemn [it]
You see what you want to.

Ditto. The passages allowing and promoting slavery far outweigh any that condemn it. If you think that its just an OT thing, don't be fooled. The NT contain these :

" Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ." (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)
"Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them." (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT).

Greatest I am

Ditto. The passages allowing and promoting slavery far outweigh any that condemn it. If you think that its just an OT thing, don't be fooled. The NT contain these :

" Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ." (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)
"Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them." (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT).

I can see giving to Ceasar what is Ceasar's and to God what is God's in Jesus talking to slaves but to suggest that they give more than forced to to their masters is wrong. Slaves should give the minimum to their political masters.

Regards
DL

gnomon

Regards
DL

And yet abolitionists used the Bible and their image of God to denounce slavery. Even more amazing is the high level of Christian spirituality adhered to by slaves and their adherents.

In other words, do you actually have a point to make?

logician

There are two different Gods described by the Bible. The New and Old testaments depict completely different views of God, man and propriety.
Why are they bound together in the same book?

Good question, the gospel writers (particularly whoever wrote Matthew) tried to make it seem like the supposed Jesus was the fulfillment of several OT prophecies (which he wasn't). Thus, putting the books together made it SEEM like one set of events (the OT) flowed naturally into the next (the NT). Actually, nothing could be further from the truth.

Greatest I am

And yet abolitionists used the Bible and their image of God to denounce slavery. Even more amazing is the high level of Christian spirituality adhered to by slaves and their adherents.

In other words, do you actually have a point to make?

Just that a just Bible would denounce in a stronger way slavery, discrimination against Gays and less denigrtion of woman.

the Bible is supposed to be fluid and changeable yet the same old Bible is all we have . The Vatican is lazy and has no notions of justice for today.

Regards
DL

gnomon

Just that a just Bible would denounce in a stronger way slavery, discrimination against Gays and less denigrtion of woman.

the Bible is supposed to be fluid and changeable yet the same old Bible is all we have . The Vatican is lazy and has no notions of justice for today.

Regards
DL

Since when?

You are discussing a collection of traditions over 2,000 years old representing two different religious traditions that the Bible does not define. Judaism and Christian sects both hold to traditions not even included in the Bible.

Your complaints do not even define the modern views of those two religions. It might define for some of its adherent but only that.

Finally, as a nonbeliever, how in the world does your attitude give any reason for those who adhere to take anything you say with interest.

Greatest I am

Since when?

You are discussing a collection of traditions over 2,000 years old representing two different religious traditions that the Bible does not define. Judaism and Christian sects both hold to traditions not even included in the Bible.

Your complaints do not even define the modern views of those two religions. It might define for some of its adherent but only that.

Finally, as a nonbeliever, how in the world does your attitude give any reason for those who adhere to take anything you say with interest.

I am a believer.

I do not believe the crap in the Bible. It is a good road guide to God and Jesus is a good guide but you must read it carefully because it holds both the branch of good and the branch of evil.

Note this

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

How many Christians believe in the perfection of God's works. This would include everything around us.
Not many, yet I do believe this and do ee it all about.

Most Christians do not believe in God's perfection and that of His works. They wait fot Him to return to fix what ain't broke.

Go figure.

Regards
DL

gnomon

I do not believe the crap in the Bible. It is a good road guide to God and Jesus is a good guide but you must read it carefully because it holds both the branch of good and the branch of evil.

Most Christians do not believe in God's perfection and that of His works. They wait fot Him to return to fix what ain't broke.

Go figure.

Regards
DL

The first paragraph is priceless.

Read this,
URI - United Religions Initiative

and then say, when referencing 2.1 billion people, most Christians one more time.:sarcastic