• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Why do you not use God's Name (tetragrammaton) in worship?

"This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘Jehovah the God of YOUR forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to YOU.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation."
-- Exodus 3:15

One of the compelling arguments to me from the Jehovah's Witnesses (the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society) and the Sacred Name movement is that God's Name is to be used in prayer and daily worship. The Bible alludes to Jehovah's Name and it's necessity in many instances.

"O Jehovah our Lord, how majestic your name is in all the earth!"
-- Psalm 8:9

YHWH revealed His Name in the Bible, and Jesus proclaimed the Name of YHWH, or at least hinted at it. I find that the usage of Jehovah's Name in the Watchtower Society actually quite refreshing, and despite the Biblical unitarianism and very pushy doctrinal beliefs that seem to define a stereotype of Christianity in the Sacred Name groups, I applaud their usage of the Divine Name of YHWH God.

"Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified."
-- Matthew 6:9

Last edited by a moderator:

Feralbeest

YHVH is NOT pronounced "Jehova". YHVH is a name that was not only un-pronouncable, but was also forbidden to be spoken!

YHVH is NOT pronounced "Jehova". YHVH is a name that was not only un-pronouncable, but was also forbidden to be spoken!

"Bless, O my soul, Jehovah, And all my inward parts -- His Holy Name. Bless, O my soul, Jehovah, And forget not all His benefits."
-- Psalm 103:1-2 (YLT)

Yehoshua was definitely not pronounced Jesus, but Jesus ended up, as corrupted as the name is, for the Messiah of Israel in the Bible.

Yahweh, Yehovah, whatever you want to call Him, God makes specific references to call upon Him by the Tetragrammaton. In no wise does the Bible make it 'forbidden' to be spoken.

"It will happen that whoever will call on the name of Yahweh shall be saved."
-- Joel 2:32 (WEB)

Youtellme

Correct, it is unsure how the name is to be pronounced, however, it was never forbidden by God that his name should be used. He tells people to call on his name. It was superstition that stopped the use of his name. The Bible says that you should not take up his name in a worthless way. That means that his name can be used, but with respect and as people were unsure what would be considered as a disrespectful use of the divine name, they replaced it with titles instead, to be on the safe side.
That is partly the reason why to this day, most Bible translations do not use God's personal name, but replace it with titles such as GOD or LORD.

Personally, that it why I feel there is confusion as to his and Jesus' identity as they are both called Lord. If God's name was used more frequently, people would realise that Jesus and Jehovah/Yaweh etc are not the same person.

Beta

"
"It will happen that whoever will call on the name of Yahweh shall be saved."
-- Joel 2:32 (WEB)
Now Yahweh is more like God's real name !
People invented Jehovah much much later in time.
God's real name does matter to him just like his Sabbath matters to him - but of course it does not to people who have been allowed to do their own thing for the past 6 days (6000 years) Ex.20v9. And what this has shown is total human disregard for the true God .
God (Yahweh) will not allow false worshippers or the disrespectful to use his real name in worship.

Now Yahweh is more like God's real name !
People invented Jehovah much much later in time.
God's real name does matter to him just like his Sabbath matters to him - but of course it does not to people who have been allowed to do their own thing for the past 6 days (6000 years) Ex.20v9. And what this has shown is total human disregard for the true God .
God (Yahweh) will not allow false worshippers or the disrespectful to use his real name in worship.

Now now, let's not get fanatical. ;) We might as well join the Assemblies of Yahweh if we want to get testy over pronunciation approximities... Praise Yahshua!!

I just feel that Jesus points back to Jehovah in terms of His Name, and bringing in the Unity of God's Eternal Essence and Being. After all, True Christians(TM) are called upon to utilise God's Name in our prayers, and of course, in Jesus' name.

In the Hebrew Scriptures, according to Joel 2:32, Jehovah's Name is to be invoked and called. And in the Christian Greek Scriptures, Jesus' name is to be called and all of our prayers to Jehovah God are to be in Jesus' Name.

I just feel that in the Christian movement, there is not enough emphasis on God's Name, and this is for the very reason that we have such an extreme fundamentalism grown from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and the Sacred Name movement regarding the issue of the Holy Tetragrammaton. I would feel that the majority of peoples from these groups would be very happy if Christians in general began to use God's Name more and more.

Sing more hymns and songs that praise His Name: "There's no God like Jehovah..." "Guide me, O Thou Great Jehovah, pilgrim through this foreign land..." "Yahweh, I know You are near..." etc.

Youtellme

I would feel that the majority of peoples from these groups would be very happy if Christians in general began to use God's Name more and more.
Correcto mundo! It's actually a mark of true religion, the sanctification, or lifting up of God's name. Not easy to do if you don't use it in the first place, eh?:rolleyes:

Correct, it is unsure how the name is to be pronounced, however, it was never forbidden by God that his name should be used. He tells people to call on his name. It was superstition that stopped the use of his name. The Bible says that you should not take up his name in a worthless way. That means that his name can be used, but with respect and as people were unsure what would be considered as a disrespectful use of the divine name, they replaced it with titles instead, to be on the safe side.
That is partly the reason why to this day, most Bible translations do not use God's personal name, but replace it with titles such as GOD or LORD.

Personally, that it why I feel there is confusion as to his and Jesus' identity as they are both called Lord. If God's name was used more frequently, people would realise that Jesus and Jehovah/Yaweh etc are not the same person.

Whether from a Jewish, Unitarian or Trinitarian bias, the separation (Christological?) references are made clearer through the utilisation of Jehovah's Name in the Bible:

"Jehovah saith unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand,
Until I make thine enemies thy footstool."-- Psalm 110:1 (ASV)
Contrast that with the same passage from a LORD Bible:

"The Lord said to my Lord: Sit thou at my right hand: Until I make thy enemies thy footstool."
Psalm 110 (109):1 (DRV)

There is a big reason why I prefer the American Standard Version, the New World Translation, the New Jerusalem Bible, and the World English Bible: they all use the Lord's Name as revealed from generation to generation.

"Holy Father! Keep them safe by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one just as you and I are one."
-- John 17:11 (GNB)

Youtellme

There is a big reason why I prefer the American Standard Version, the New World Translation, the New Jerusalem Bible, and the World English Bible: they all use the Lord's Name as revealed from generation to generation.
See if you can get a hold of the NWT Reference Bible, you'll like it even more. It's big!

Feralbeest

The name by which God revealed himself to the ancient Hebrews (Ex. 6:2, 3). This name was spelled "hwhy" (the Hebrew equivalent of "YHWH") and is known as the Tetragrammaton (meaning "four letters"). Since it was considered too sacred to pronounce, the Jews would substitute the Sacred Name (Ha-Shem) with the word "Adonai."
To indicate this substitution in the Masoretic Text, the Masoretes added the vowel points from the word "Adonai" to the Sacred Name. Early Christian translators mistakenly combined the vowels of Adonai with the consonants of YHWH, producing the word "YaHoWaH." When the Scriptures were translated into German during the Reformation (16th century), the word was transliterated into the German way of pronouncing it: the "Y" as the English "J", and the "W" as the English "V" -- or "Jahovah." In the early 17th century, the Scriptures were translated into English and the word was again transliterated, as "Jehovah."
This error has carried over into many modern (English) translations, but is now recognized as a translation error that was never used by the Jews

Feralbeest

Astonishing as it may sound, it is an admitted fact that prior to the sixteenth century, the word "Jehovah," was unheard of. Whenever the origin of this word appeared in its true Hebrew form in Jewish Scriptures (read from right to left as in Arabic) Yet, Huh, Wav, Huh; or Y.H.W.H. these four letters were preceded by a substitute word "Adonai," to warn the reader that the following word was not to be articulated. The Jews took meticulous care in repeating this exercise in their "Book of God" six thousand, eight hundred and twenty-three times - interpolating the words "Adonai" or "Elohim." They sincerely believed that this awesome name of God was never to be pronounced. This prohibition was no ordinary affair: it called for a penalty of death on one who dared to utter it, and this taboo has been more successful than all the "DO's" and "DON'T's" of the Ten Commandments put together.

If Jehovah is the name of God Almighty, and if the 27 Books of the New Testament were inspired by Him, then it is an anomaly of the highest order, that He (Jehovah) signally failed to have His Own Name recorded in "His Word" (N.T.) the Christian addition to the Jewish Bible. The Christians claim that they have in their possession over twenty-four thousand so-called "originals" of their Holy Writ in the Greek language, and yet not a single parchment has "Jehovah" written in it. Curiously this "name of God" (?) has been sacrilegiously replaced by the Greek words ky'ri.os and the.os', which mean 'Lord' and 'God.'

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The name by which God revealed himself to the ancient Hebrews (Ex. 6:2, 3). This name was spelled "hwhy" (the Hebrew equivalent of "YHWH") and is known as the Tetragrammaton (meaning "four letters"). Since it was considered too sacred to pronounce, the Jews would substitute the Sacred Name (Ha-Shem) with the word "Adonai."
To indicate this substitution in the Masoretic Text, the Masoretes added the vowel points from the word "Adonai" to the Sacred Name. Early Christian translators mistakenly combined the vowels of Adonai with the consonants of YHWH, producing the word "YaHoWaH." When the Scriptures were translated into German during the Reformation (16th century), the word was transliterated into the German way of pronouncing it: the "Y" as the English "J", and the "W" as the English "V" -- or "Jahovah." In the early 17th century, the Scriptures were translated into English and the word was again transliterated, as "Jehovah."
This error has carried over into many modern (English) translations, but is now recognized as a translation error that was never used by the Jews
Finally! A post in this thread that makes sense!

Astonishing as it may sound, it is an admitted fact that prior to the sixteenth century, the word "Jehovah," was unheard of. Whenever the origin of this word appeared in its true Hebrew form in Jewish Scriptures (read from right to left as in Arabic) Yet, Huh, Wav, Huh; or Y.H.W.H. these four letters were preceded by a substitute word "Adonai," to warn the reader that the following word was not to be articulated. The Jews took meticulous care in repeating this exercise in their "Book of God" six thousand, eight hundred and twenty-three times - interpolating the words "Adonai" or "Elohim." They sincerely believed that this awesome name of God was never to be pronounced. This prohibition was no ordinary affair: it called for a penalty of death on one who dared to utter it, and this taboo has been more successful than all the "DO's" and "DON'T's" of the Ten Commandments put together.

Many Karaite Jews still believe in the tradition of carrying on the name of YHWH in the form of Yehovah/Yehowah (YehoVAH).

What is the name of the Creator? Yahweh, Yahuweh, Yehovah, Yehowah?

And the full essay can be read here, with Mr. Gordon's own research into the Tetragrammaton as Yehovah as opposed to Yahweh: http://www.karaite-korner.org/yhwh_2.pdf

This evidence that Yehovah is nothing but the vowels 'adonai' is only one of the myriad theories on the subject. The theophoric names give some indication, such as Yehoshaphat, Yehoshua, Yehoiakhim, etc. YEHO is at the beginning of such names. Then, those that are suffixed contain Eliyahu, Yirmiyahu, Matisyahu, where YAH(U) is the end. And of course, with Hebraic two-vowel combinations, Vav is generally inserted.

I can understand that the Name of Christ is the New Name of the covenant in which Christian followers are to continue treading; however, I still believe, just as the Karaite Jews and Sacred Namers also believe, that the Tetragrammaton has huge significance in our approach to God the Father, especially when God has used it for more than 6,000 times in the Old Testament.

My point is that one should use the Tetragrammaton in worship; whether the form Yehovah or Yahveh are the correct forms are another debate in itself! :)

Youtellme

Many Karaite Jews still believe in the tradition of carrying on the name of YHWH in the form of Yehovah/Yehowah (YehoVAH).

What is the name of the Creator? Yahweh, Yahuweh, Yehovah, Yehowah?

And the full essay can be read here, with Mr. Gordon's own research into the Tetragrammaton as Yehovah as opposed to Yahweh: http://www.karaite-korner.org/yhwh_2.pdf

This evidence that Yehovah is nothing but the vowels 'adonai' is only one of the myriad theories on the subject. The theophoric names give some indication, such as Yehoshaphat, Yehoshua, Yehoiakhim, etc. YEHO is at the beginning of such names. Then, those that are suffixed contain Eliyahu, Yirmiyahu, Matisyahu, where YAH(U) is the end. And of course, with Hebraic two-vowel combinations, Vav is generally inserted.

I can understand that the Name of Christ is the New Name of the covenant in which Christian followers are to continue treading; however, I still believe, just as the Karaite Jews and Sacred Namers also believe, that the Tetragrammaton has huge significance in our approach to God the Father, especially when God has used it for more than 6,000 times in the Old Testament.

My point is that one should use the Tetragrammaton in worship; whether the form Yehovah or Yahveh are the correct forms are another debate in itself! :)

Bravo.:)

sojourner

the Tetragrammaton has huge significance in our approach to God the Father,
Who the What?
especially when God has used it for more than 6,000 times in the Old Testament.
When whohas used it...?
These statements seem rather hypocritical in light of the OP, don't you think?

BTW, when Moses asked God his name, God replied I AM. Odd, don't you think, that God didn't reply, "YHWH?'

Who the What?

When whohas used it...?
These statements seem rather hypocritical in light of the OP, don't you think?

BTW, when Moses asked God his name, God replied I AM. Odd, don't you think, that God didn't reply, "YHWH?'

But then you see in the bible passage after, YHWH, the God of your fathers... this is my name forever.

"God spoke to Moses, and said to him, 'I am YHWH; and I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty; but by my name YHWH I was not known to them.' "
-- Genesis 6:2-3 (WEB)

Then you have Joel 2:32.

"It will happen that whoever will call on the name of YHWH shall be saved."

"Let them praise the name of YHWH,
for his name alone is exalted."
-- Psalm 148:13

"You shall not take the name of YHWH your God in vain, for YHWH will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain."
-- Exodus 20:7

I am not saying that it is a requirement for salvation, since salvation is with His Son, Yahshua. Yahshua in itself means 'YHWH is Salvation.' After all, Yahshua came from YHWH, "I have come in my Father’s name." -- John 5:43. However, I would like to see more Christians make use of YHWH's Name, which is to be praised in all the Earth! :D

David used it in his worship. Ruth, Abraham, Moses, Isaac and Jacob. There is debate of whether Jesus used the Divine Name or not. Nevertheless, since Christians are believers in the Bible, they should also understand that God's personal Name is part of His identity as the Supreme Father.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

how the name is pronounced really doesnt matter

its more important that we recognize who the name belongs to.

sojourner

But then you see in the bible passage after, YHWH, the God of your fathers... this is my name forever.

"God spoke to Moses, and said to him, 'I am YHWH; and I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty; but by my name YHWH I was not known to them.' "
-- Genesis 6:2-3 (WEB)

Then you have Joel 2:32.

"It will happen that whoever will call on the name of YHWH shall be saved."

"Let them praise the name of YHWH,
for his name alone is exalted."
-- Psalm 148:13

"You shall not take the name of YHWH your God in vain, for YHWH will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain."
-- Exodus 20:7

I am not saying that it is a requirement for salvation, since salvation is with His Son, Yahshua. Yahshua in itself means 'YHWH is Salvation.' After all, Yahshua came from YHWH, "I have come in my Father’s name." -- John 5:43. However, I would like to see more Christians make use of YHWH's Name, which is to be praised in all the Earth! :D

David used it in his worship. Ruth, Abraham, Moses, Isaac and Jacob. There is debate of whether Jesus used the Divine Name or not. Nevertheless, since Christians are believers in the Bible, they should also understand that God's personal Name is part of His identity as the Supreme Father.
Doesn't matter. You berate us for not using the Tetragrammaton when referring to God, and then you, yourself are found doing the same thing in this quote:
(See my highlight in red).

Doesn't matter. You berate us for not using the Tetragrammaton when referring to God, and then you, yourself are found doing the same thing in this quote:
(See my highlight in red).

God the Father is Jehovah. I believe in Jehovah's Name, and that it should be utilised in Christian worship.

The Tetragrammaton (Jehovah, Yehovah, Yahweh, YHWH) should be used for addressing God the Father.

You don't need to agree with my phrasing to believe in Jehovah God's Name in the Bible. I do not subscribe to Sacred Name or Jehovah's Witness beliefs, and would make a bad member in such groups, lol. However, I do see that Jehovah's Name is intrinsically part of the Old Testament, and that it should be part of Christian worship.

sojourner

The Tetragrammaton (Jehovah, Yehovah, Yahweh, YHWH) should be used for addressing God the Father.
I understand that. What you need to understand is that you failed to do just that here:
and here:
God the Father is Jehovah.
Shouldn't you have said, "Jehovah is Jehovah, if you want to follow your own advice?