• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians who deny Christ's divinity/Trinity

obi one

Anyone who doesn't believe in the trinity cannot claim to be a Christian.

I think the Athanasian Creed, which is named after one of the men who was at the Council of Nicaea, stated that you couldn't be "saved" if you didn't believe in Trinity doctrine. Now, since they didn't seem to even understand what "saved" means, and surely couldn't explain the concept of Trinity, then I wouldn't worry too much about their opinions. But one interesting thing is that the Mormons from Utah branch are not considered "Christian", because they reject the Trinity doctrine, whereas the Missouri type of Mormons, who accept the Trinity doctrine, are accepted as "Christians" by those that keep the dogma that came out of Nicaea.
Athanasian Creed

Keep in mind that Athanasius was the one who set out the present canon, and was very prominent in establishing the Trinity doctrine.

Scott1

I think the Athanasian Creed, which is named after one of the men who was at the Council of Nicaea, stated that you couldn't be "saved" if you didn't believe in Trinity doctrine.
Not quite....
Started with the teachings of a Priest named Arius... "Arius proposed that if the Father begat the Son, the latter must have had a beginning, that there was a time when he was not, and that his substance was from nothing like the rest of creation. The Council of Nicea, a gathering similar to the one described in Acts 15:4-22, condemned the beliefs of Arius and wrote the first version of the now famous creed proclaiming that the Son was "one in being with the Father" by use of the Greek word "homoousius."

The Council interrogated Arius using Scripture, only to find that he had a new way of interpreting every verse they brought before him. Finally, they used the argument that Arius' view had to be wrong because it was new. Athanasius says, "But concerning matters of faith, they [the bishops assembled at Nicea] did not write: 'It has been decided,' but 'Thus the Catholic Church believes.' And thereupon confessed how they believed. This they did to show that their judgement was not of more recent origin, but was in fact of Apostolic times...". In this regard also, Athanasius askes rhetorically, "... how many fathers [in other words, the writings of the early Christians] can you cite for your phrases?"

The Council of Nicea

The ruling against Arius did not mean he was not "saved" (not a historical term) just that he was effectively kicked out of the church.

... also history will show that this "ruling" had the OPPOSITE effect and the Arians flourished for decades to come.

My two cents --- you can play a sport with a hockey stick and a watermelon: but if you call it baseball, I respect the right of those who have been playing the game for years to call BULL ******* ! :D

Peace be with you,
S

obi one

Not quite....
Started with the teachings of a Priest named Arius... "Arius proposed that if the Father begat the Son, the latter must have had a beginning, that there was a time when he was not, and that his substance was from nothing like the rest of creation. The Council of Nicea, a gathering similar to the one described in Acts 15:4-22, condemned the beliefs of Arius and wrote the first version of the now famous creed proclaiming that the Son was "one in being with the Father" by use of the Greek word "homoousius."

The Council interrogated Arius using Scripture, only to find that he had a new way of interpreting every verse they brought before him. Finally, they used the argument that Arius' view had to be wrong because it was new. Athanasius says, "But concerning matters of faith, they [the bishops assembled at Nicea] did not write: 'It has been decided,' but 'Thus the Catholic Church believes.' And thereupon confessed how they believed. This they did to show that their judgement was not of more recent origin, but was in fact of Apostolic times...". In this regard also, Athanasius askes rhetorically, "... how many fathers [in other words, the writings of the early Christians] can you cite for your phrases?"
The Council of Nicea

The ruling against Arius did not mean he was not "saved" (not a historical term) just that he was effectively kicked out of the church.

... also history will show that this "ruling" had the OPPOSITE effect and the Arians flourished for decades to come.

My two cents --- you can play a sport with a hockey stick and a watermelon: but if you call it baseball, I respect the right of those who have been playing the game for years to call BULL ******* ! :D

Peace be with you,
S

Excerpt for the Athanasian Creed:
Athanasian Creed

1. Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith;
2. Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. 3. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity;

The story of Arius is another story. Arius died under suspecious circumstances. Not only was Arius excommunicated from the Catholic Church and sent to what is known today as Albania, but Theognix and Eusebius were also excommunicated for not going along with the Trinity. In effect, everyone not holding to the Trinity is excommunicated per the Athanasian Creed, a central doctrine of the pagan conforming Catholic faith.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Early Judo Christians had a Jewish understanding of ONE GOD.
As Christianity developed, the difficulty of reconciling Monotheism with God the Father, Jesus his son and the Holy spirit became all too clear in the various factions within the new "Church"

The Trinity was established as the way forward, at Nicea, set up under the orders of the Emperor.
Those Bishops who had an alternate view were declared Heretics and their view suppressed.

The Trinitarian Doctrine is now so deeply enmeshed in Christian theology, it is unlikely to be revisited by those churches that accept it. It has become one of the foundations of a great edifice.

Individual Christians certainly do question it and have done so openly since the 17th century.
This questioning, as in this thread. shows that personal Faith in Christianity and the teachings of Jesus do not depend on either a belief in, or an understanding of the "Trinity.
However the entire edifice of of the theology of the trinitarian churches certainly does.

dishcandanty

"Take up the Bible, compare the religion of the Latter-day Saints with it and see if it will stand the test"
(Brigham Young, May 18, 1873, Journal of Discourses, vol. 16, p. 46.)

Following is a comparison between Christian doctrine and Mormon doctrine. It will become very obvious that Mormonism does not agree with the Bible. In fact, Mormonism has simply used the same words found in Christianity and redefined them. But with a proper understanding of what Mormonism really teaches, you will be able to see past those definitions into the real differences between Christianity and Mormonism.
The difference is the difference between eternal life and damnation.

GOD:

Christian

• There is only one God (Isaiah 43:11; 44:6,8; 45:5)

• God has always been God (Psalm 90:2; Isaiah 57:15).

• God is a spirit without flesh and bones (John 4:24; Luke 24:39).

Mormon

• "And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light: and there was light (Book of Abraham 4:3).

• "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!!! . . . We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see," (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345).

• "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's," (Doctrine and Covenants 130:22; Compare with Alma 18:26-27; 22:9-10). "Therefore we know that both the Father and the Son are in form and stature perfect men; each of them possesses a tangible body . . . of flesh and bones," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 38).

TRINITY:

Christian

• The Trinity is the doctrine that there is only one God in all the universe and that He exists in three eternal, simultaneous persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Mormon

• The trinity is three separate Gods: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. "That these three are separate individuals, physically distinct from each other, is demonstrated by the accepted records of divine dealings with man," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 35).

JESUS
:

Christian

• Jesus was born of the virgin Mary (Isaiah 7:14; Matt. 1:23).

• Jesus is the eternal Son. He is second person of the Trinity. He has two natures. He is God in flesh and man (John 1:1, 14; Col. 2;9) and the creator of all things (Col. 1:15-17)
Mormon

• "The birth of the Saviour was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood - was begotten of his Father, as we were of our fathers," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 8, p. 115).

• "Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers" (Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce McConkie, p. 547). . Jesus is the literal spirit-brother of Lucifer, a creation (Gospel Through the Ages, p. 15).
THE HOLY SPIRIT:

Christian

• The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity. He is not a force. He is a person. (Acts 5:3-4; 13:2)
Mormon

• Mormonism distinguishes between the Holy Spirit (God's presence via an essence) and the Holy Ghost (the third god in the Mormon doctrine of the trinity). "He [the Holy Ghost] is a being endowed with the attributes and powers of Deity, and not a mere force, or essence," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 144).

SALVATION
:

Christian

• Salvation is the forgiveness of sin and deliverance of the sinner from damnation. It is a free gift received by God's grace (Eph. 2:8; Rom. 6:23) and cannot be earned (Rom. 11:6).

• Salvation (forgiveness of sins) is not by works (Eph. 2:8; Rom. 4:5; Gal. 2:21).
Mormon

• Salvation has a double meaning in Mormonism: universal resurrection and . . ."The first effect [of the atonement] is to secure to all mankind alike, exemption from the penalty of the fall, thus providing a plan of General Salvation. The second effect is to open a way for Individual Salvation whereby mankind may secure remission of personal sins," (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 78-79).

• "As these sins are the result of individual acts it is just that forgiveness for them should be conditioned on individual compliance with prescribed requirements -- 'obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel,'" (Articles of Faith, p. 79).
BIBLE:

Christian

• The inspired inerrant word of God (2 Tim. 3:16).
Mormon

• It is authoritative in all subjects it addresses. "We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. . ." (8th Article of Faith of the Mormon Church).
This is only a sample of many of the differences between Christianity and Mormonism. As you can see, they are quite different doctrines. God cannot be uncreated and created at the same time. There cannot be only one God and many gods at the same time. The Trinity cannot be one God in three persons and three gods in an office known as the Trinity, etc. These teachings are mutually exclusive.
This is important because faith is only as good as the object in which it is placed. Is the Mormon god the real one? Or, is the God of historic and biblical Christianity the real one?
Mormonism is obviously not the biblical version of Christianity. It is not Christian, and Mormons serve a different god than do the Christians -- a god that does not exist. Paul talks about this in Gal. 4:8, "when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods." Only the God of the Bible exists. There are no others. Mormonism puts its faith in a non-existent god.

Can I say your a little ridiculous? Can we agree that anything and everything can be taken completely out of context? Especially if you are looking for it?

For example, you said 'Salvation (forgiveness of sins) is not by works' and you cite as your source Ephesians 2:8. Which says: 'For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;'

To me, that says nothing of works. It says, of your own accord, you can't save yourself. Only through the Blood of Christ, the Grace of Christ. We are saved by Faith

Now, lets read a little of James 2 (I'd recommend the whole chapter)
'What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?' (V14)
'Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.' (v17)
'But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?' (v20)

Or
'And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.' - Revelations 20:12

Can we open our minds, just a little bit?

I believe that Jesus Christ, came to Earth, born of a Virgin. That He lived, and died in service of God's children. He was the perfect example, I'm trying to follow Him. That without Him, all mankind must be lost. He completed the Atonement, he died for our sins. Suffered as no other man has. He is the Man. And that is whom I worship. I witness for the Savior. If that means I am not Christian, than I guess I don't want to be. Because this is what brings me happiness. And Im staying here.

kellykep

I have enjoyed reading the threads here, and would like to pose a question I have run into lately.

What are peoples thoughts here on professed Christians who do not believe in the divinity of Jesus or the literal trinity? Are they still to be considered Christians? I have read of some early Christian sects that did not believe in the trinity or Christs divinity. And I have met Christians today who do the same. They say they simply follow Christs teachings and worship God. Is this possible, why or why not?

To answer this question is complex. However, some important pointers need to be considered before we can satisfactorily arrive at a conclusion. These are:

1. Let the Bible explain and interpret itself concerning the nature, origin, and the role of Jesus.
2. Outline only from the Bible how Jesus relates to the OT and the NT
3. Outline how the OT is fulfilled in Jesus, if any.
4. Explain from the Bible why God had to be incarnated in the person of Jesus and show how this fulfills prophecies of the OT in Jesus of the NT.
5. etc, etc

I don't know if these are possible here.

Blackheart

I have enjoyed reading the threads here, and would like to pose a question I have run into lately.

What are peoples thoughts here on professed Christians who do not believe in the divinity of Jesus or the literal trinity? Are they still to be considered Christians? I have read of some early Christian sects that did not believe in the trinity or Christs divinity. And I have met Christians today who do the same. They say they simply follow Christs teachings and worship God. Is this possible, why or why not?

Where on earth do you get this idea of a trinty. How many Gods do you have?

jtartar

I most definitely consider myself to be a Christian and I do not believe in the Trinity. (I'm referring to the doctrine established at the Council at Nicea in 325 A.D.) I do believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. I believe that Jesus is divine and was with His Father in the beginning. I believe that He created our universe under His Father's direction, that He was born to a virgin, lived a perfect life, established His Church, voluntarily offered Himself up as a sacrifice to pay for our sins, rose from the dead after three days, and ascended into Heaven where He reigns today on the right hand of His Father. I believe He is the only means by which I can be forgiven of my sins and return to God's presence to live with Him again someday. I guess you could say that I have pretty much the same understanding of Jesus Christ, His relationship to His Father, and our relationship to them that the first century Christians had.

Katzpur,
By what you have posted, I know that you believe that the Bible INTERPRETS itself, Gen 40:8. You believe that all the things written in the Holy Scriptures are true, John 17:17. Theologians believe in INTERTEXTUALITY, which means that ALL scripture MUST agree with all other scripture, every scripture is interrelated.
Here are a few other scriptures that are of much interest to me, 2Tim 3:16,17, which says that all scripture is inspired by God and are good for setting things straight, and make a man of God COMPLETELY equiped for every good work. Why then does a true Christian need other inspired religious books?? Ps 12:6,7, Prov 30:5,6, Gal 1:6-9, 1Thess 2:13, Rev 22:18, 1John 4:1.

waitasec

Veteran Member
this statement seemed rather interesting.

I most definitely consider myself to be a Christian

do christians consider themselves jewish?
why or why not?

wasn't christianity an edited form of judaism?
isn't mormonism an edited form of christianity?

FTR, i'm just interested in the criteria one uses that determines what they consider themselves to be.

to be fair though...i don't think one can define christianity to be anything specific...this is what happens when there are so many edited versions of the one original version

ambiguity.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Katzpur,
By what you have posted, I know that you believe that the Bible INTERPRETS itself, Gen 40:8. You believe that all the things written in the Holy Scriptures are true, John 17:17.
You know, you really do need to not get into the habit of telling me what I believe. I certainly don't believe that the Bible "interprets itself."

Why then does a true Christian need other inspired religious books?? Ps 12:6,7, Prov 30:5,6, Gal 1:6-9, 1Thess 2:13, Rev 22:18, 1John 4:1.
What's wrong with embracing all of the information God has made available to us? I can't see why anyone would object to that. But to each his own. If you want to just stick with one volume of scripture, that's fine with me.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
I expand the trinity:

We are all Christ, everything is imbebed with the Holy Spirit, and the Father directs it all.

uu_sage

I reject the man made doctrine called the Trinity. I affirm Jesus' divinity but reject his deity. Jesus was divine in that he had deep and intimate union with God and he was attuned to God's wisdom and presence. God was in Jesus as God is present in all people and all life. God is our Father, Jesus is son of God in that we are all children of God and the Holy Spirit is the presence of God within. The Trinitarian doctrine was adopted long after Jesus died. Jesus and his disciples would have nothing to do with Trinitarianism because they were all faithful Jews. Jesus and his disciples would have professed the Shema- Hear O Israel the Lord our God is one Lord (Duet 6:4, Mark 12:29). Jesus in the Garden prayed to his Father saying, "Father, if you be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but yours, be done". If Jesus were God as Trinitarians claim, then Jesus would have no need for prayer or worship. Jesus during his temptation in the wilderness told Satan to "Worship the Lord and serve him (Adonai/God) only" (Luke 2:8) I am a Christian because I seek to follow in the ways of the Lord as made known in our brother Jesus. I seek to be a co-creator with God in transforming the human race into the human family- making the kingdom of God present in this moment- a reign of God's justice, peace, forgiveness, acceptance, reconciliation and transformation for all God's children where all means all. I refuse to concede the title Christian or Christian faith to those who misuse the names of God and Christ for their own divisive and hateful purposes. I am living proof that you can be theologically liberal, a Universalist, and have a lower Christology and still be faithfully Christian. I am more concerned with Jesus taught as opposed to doctrines and theologies made up about Jesus. I want to follow Jesus rather than worshiping him. I worship the God for whom Jesus bore witness- the Father who Jesus called Abba or Dadddy. God is spirit and is beyond any human comprehension or label. God is male, female and neither. God is all religions and has no religion. To limit God to any human category or label would effectively put God in a box.

Yacoub

In the four Gospels, where did Jesus himself claim to be God, or equal to God? (hint, you will likely find two or maybe three verses to point to.) Even so, I believe those to actually be mis-translation issues. Therefore I believe Jesus is the Son of God and Messiah. But I reject the Trinity...based upon the words of Jesus. For more details, please see the Trinity ebook at www.alignment.life