• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians, which Old Testament Laws to obey, and which to ignore?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Sounds like you don't even believe the Bible is the word of God then. Is that correct?
I believe that much of the Bible is historically correct.

I am a Deist. I can acknowledge that you have Christian Faith. Can you acknowledge that I am a Deist?

Your 'don't even' looks like attitude?

TrueBeliever37

I believe that much of the Bible is historically correct.

I am a Deist. I can acknowledge that you have Christian Faith. Can you acknowledge that I am a Deist?

Your 'don't even' looks like attitude?

No attitude intended - that's for sure. Yes I can accept you are a Deist. I just don't know anything about Deist(s). I was just trying to understand if a Deist accepted the Bible as the word of God or not.
The way I phrased it probably wasn't the best, but no offense meant.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
We are not under the law of Moses. We are under a new covenant.

That doesn't mean that certain things that were wrong then, still aren't wrong under the new covenant also. It is still wrong to lie, steal, murder, disrespect your parents, commit adultery, commit fornication, bear false witness, etc.
The criteria of what to do and not to do, is given in the writings of the new covenant.

Dietary laws have changed. A natural circumcision is not required. Also, how could Gentiles keep laws that pertained only to Jews, such as regarding marriage, etc? The Messiah is our passover. So those type laws have changed. We still keep the feast, but in a different way.

Many things in the old covenant were types/shadows of spiritual things in the new covenant. Many prophesies in the old covenant were fulfilled in a natural way, but then they are also fulfilled in a spiritual way in the new covenant.

You never did respond to my question about laws #433 and 442. Because if you don't keep all those laws you are guilty of breaking the law are you not? Isn't there a curse on those who don't keep all the law?
Like I said, it is a misuse of language to say you are under a New Law, when you were never under the original Law. The original Law was for Jews.

And the Law is not changed for Jews. The Law is STILL to eat kosher, etc.

But since you are not a Jew, enjoy your pork and lobster. :)

TrueBeliever37

Like I said, it is a misuse of language to say you are under a New Law, when you were never under the original Law. The original Law was for Jews.

And the Law is not changed for Jews. The Law is STILL to eat kosher, etc.

But since you are not a Jew, enjoy your pork and lobster. :)

You still didn't answer my question. Do you obey every one of those 613 laws? And isn't there a curse on anyone (of course Jewish as you say) who doesn't obey all the law?

IndigoChild5559

You still didn't answer my question. Do you obey every one of those 613 laws? And isn't there a curse on anyone (of course Jewish as you say) who doesn't obey all the law?
I aspire to keep every one of the 613 commandments that apply to me.

There are commandments that do not apply to me, for example commandments for men or for priests. Also commandments regarding what to do in the Temple, since there is no Temple.

But the rest? Sure. I try to keep them.

The curse is on those who make it their lifestyle to be lawbreakers. Yes. But this doesn't refer to sins we repent of--that's not being a habitual lawbreaker.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
No attitude intended - that's for sure. Yes I can accept you are a Deist. I just don't know anything about Deist(s). I was just trying to understand if a Deist accepted the Bible as the word of God or not.
The way I phrased it probably wasn't the best, but no offense meant.
Hello.... :)
Fair enough.
Yes, I think that people write the many books in the Bible and that there is historical value in them.

The reason why I have been interested in what laws Christians follow or not is because there is such variation of opinions, as you can see from the many posts. :)

Reality Czech

Colossians 2:13-15 answer this best?
13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Doesn't this mean we are bound by the teachings of Christ? Not those in the old testament.

Israel12

13 When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. 15 And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Doesn't this mean we are bound by the teachings of Christ? Not those in the old testament.
This is going into Christ stopping the sacrifices. Which are a shadow of good things to come

IndigoChild5559

This is going into Christ stopping the sacrifices. Which are a shadow of good things to come
Jesus never stopped any sacrifices. He was an was born, lived, and died an observant Jew. After he died, his Jewish followers continued to do sacrifices, including Paul.

TrueBeliever37

Jesus never stopped any sacrifices. He was an was born, lived, and died an observant Jew. After he died, his Jewish followers continued to do sacrifices, including Paul.

Hi Indigo,
When was the last time you kept the Passover in the way prescribed in the Torah?

Weren't you also required to do sacrifices at the temple in Jerusalem? Which I don't see how you can do without a temple.

Can't you see that something must be wrong? To have things you are required to do, yet are impossible to do in the required way?

Last edited:

Nova2216

14 Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not?
15 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.
16 No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse.
17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

IndigoChild5559

Hi Indigo,
When was the last time you kept the Passover in the way prescribed in the Torah?

Weren't you also required to do sacrifices at the temple in Jerusalem? Which I don't see how you can do without a temple.

Can't you see that something must be wrong? To have things you are required to do, yet are impossible to do in the required way?
Hosea tells us that if there in times where no sacrifices can be made, that "the words of our lips [prayers] are as bullocks [sacrifices]."

So basically, I'm doing Passover the way that Hashem would have it at this time. Is it the ideal? I personally think that the ideal is to have the Temple. But it suffices.

TrueBeliever37

Hosea tells us that if there in times where no sacrifices can be made, that "the words of our lips [prayers] are as bullocks [sacrifices]."

So basically, I'm doing Passover the way that Hashem would have it at this time. Is it the ideal? I personally think that the ideal is to have the Temple. But it suffices.
What verse are you referring to in Hosea?

TrueBeliever37

I just meant that I don't see in Hosea 14:2 where it is referring to being in times where no sacrifices can be made.

IndigoChild5559

I just meant that I don't see in Hosea 14:2 where it is referring to being in times where no sacrifices can be made.
What else could Hosea 14:2 possibly mean? The words of our lips are bullocks. Sometimes it reads, The calves of our lips. You can look into it.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Is that a licence to do just whatever you want?
Predestination seems to be another free licence.
Some Christians cherry-pick the bits they like or feel righteous about.

What do you think?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Go through a list of the taryag mitzvot, the list of the Rambam is the one most cited, and you’ll understand, I hope, why your question makes no sense.