• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: Whatare your views on the Rapture of the Christian Church?

Faithofchristian

Ribera created the futurist version to combat Luther's accusation that the Pope was the antichrist and the Whore of Babylon was Rome.

Luther had a low view of Hebrews, James, Jude, and the Revelation, and so when he published his New Testament in 1522 he placed these books apart at the end.

In his Preface to Hebrews, which comes first in the series, he says, "Up to this point we have had to do with the true and certain chief books of the New Testament. The four which follow have from ancient times had a different reputation."

Luther's criticism of these books will perhaps be found disgraceful and even shocking to modern Christians, but it should be pointed out that his attitude was not so shocking in the context of the late Middle Ages.

continued

Luther's Antilegomena

As many Christians are being taught that the Pope being the beast of Revelation 13
Which is wrong.

And the Roman Catholic Church as being the great whore Mother of Harlots of
Revelation 17.
Which is wrong also

sooda

Veteran Member
As many Christians are being taught that the Pope being the beast of Revelation 13
Which is wrong.

And the Roman Catholic Church as being the great whore Mother of Harlots of
Revelation 17.
Which is wrong also

Thank you. It was a slur against the Catholic Church for political reasons. Martin Luther wrote about the Book of Revelation:

I say what I feel. I miss more than one thing in this book, and it makes me consider it to be neither apostolic nor prophetic.

Luther's Antilegomena

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
After more research, I have decided that futuristic post tribulationism is what makes ense to me. I want to present the four main pre millenial views for your research: Pre tribbers believe in an imminent rapture that happens before the seventieth weed of Daniel, midtribbers believe that the rapture happens at the abomination of desolation, prewrathers (I used to be prewrath) believe that the rapture happens after the opening of the sixth seal mentioned in the book of Revelation, and posttribbers like me believe that the rapture happens at the same time as the second coming of Jesus Christ (you can call Him Yeshua if you want). There is also a wide selection of other eschatological views, but I wanted to present the pre millennial prophetic views for your research and civil discource. I want to link you to Mark 13, which I believe to be the most important chapter on eschatology, found right here: Mark 13:1 (KJV) Remember that eschatology is not a salvation issue, and I am humbly asking that everyone (including me) please keep it divil. I love you all, and look forward to our discussion.
There is no Rapture. There is only the resurrection of the dead and the Last Judgement; anyone who manages to survive the Tribulation will be brought alive before the judgement seat of Christ.

sooda

Veteran Member
There is no Rapture. There is only the resurrection of the dead and the Last Judgement; anyone who manages to survive the Tribulation will be brought alive before the judgement seat of Christ.

The tribulation was local and ended in 70 AD. Jesus said they could avoid it by fleeing to the mountains.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
The tribulation was local and ended in 70 AD. Jesus said they could avoid it by fleeing to the mountains.
So what is your view of the Last Judgement and the Resurrection of the dead? What precedes all of that? How does this current transient stage of the world's existence end?

sooda

Veteran Member
So what is your view of the Last Judgement and the Resurrection of the dead? What precedes all of that? How does this current transient stage of the world's existence end?

Not sure.. Can't identify why God would want to punish humanity.. He already destroyed the temple, punished apostate Jews and Jesus already paid the price of salvation.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Not sure.. Can't identify why God would want to punish humanity.. He already destroyed the temple, punished apostate Jews and Jesus already paid the price of salvation.
Well, hang on. Given the date that we know Revelation was written (95 AD), it would have been written a couple decades after the destruction of the Temple. So I'm not sure that the Tribulation necessarily refers to the destruction of the Temple. Jesus absolutely did prophesy the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, but I'm not so sure there's a case to be made that Revelation was written in the 60's or would refer to that event. It also wouldn't make much sense for John to tell churches in Greece and Asia Minor to flee the destruction of the Jewish Temple all the way down in Judaea or that they would suffer as a result of that.

sooda

Veteran Member
Well, hang on. Given the date that we know Revelation was written (95 AD), it would have been written a couple decades after the destruction of the Temple. So I'm not sure that the Tribulation necessarily refers to the destruction of the Temple. Jesus absolutely did prophesy the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, but I'm not so sure there's a case to be made that Revelation was written in the 60's or would refer to that event. It also wouldn't make much sense for John to tell churches in Greece and Asia Minor to flee the destruction of the Jewish Temple all the way down in Judaea or that they would suffer as a result of that.

John identifies himself as your brother in tribulation.

Most prophesy was written after the fact..

Does the Bible speak of TWO tribulations?

Shiranui117

Premium Member
John identifies himself as your brother in tribulation.

Most prophesy was written after the fact..

Does the Bible speak of TWO tribulations?
You have to understand that Christians were facing almost constant persecution during the first three centuries AD. The consensus seems to be that Revelation was during the reign of Domitian, who also persecuted Christians. As did Trajan, Hadrian, Marcus Aurelius, and so on. Christianity continued to be an illegal religion from the time of Nero until the Edict of Milan in 315, and it was punishable by death if Christians refused to renounce their faith. It seems more likely that John was writing to encourage the churches to remain strong under the continued persecution.

sooda

Veteran Member
You have to understand that Christians were facing almost constant persecution during the first three centuries AD. The consensus seems to be that Revelation was during the reign of Domitian, who also persecuted Christians. As did Trajan, Hadrian, Marcus Aurelius, and so on. Christianity continued to be an illegal religion from the time of Nero until the Edict of Milan in 315, and it was punishable by death if Christians refused to renounce their faith. It seems more likely that John was writing to encourage the churches to remain strong under the continued persecution.
Josephus tells a horrific story about the period between the years 67-70 ad.