• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: What is your opinion...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Christians.

I have a friend whose despise JW. That's fine. We're talking about finding out our family history, genealogy, and things of that nature. Then I give her JW.org because they have a good collection of census records, birth certificates, etc from people back when for free.

She says she will never go on that site because it is JW.

I know some Catholics won't go into another Church even though scripture is the same regardless of the church. I know JW don't care for Catholicism and probably won't hear a word of the similarities they share if they ever went to a Mass a couple of times.

But this topic is completely unrelated to religion. How does going on that site have to do with the information on it? Outside of her bias and religious views, what would be a logical reason to not go on the site?

Do some of you feel the same way? If so, why?

I want to ask her but I can't figure an appropriate way to ask.

Deidre

From someone who has explored so many religions not just for information, but with interest in pursuing over the past few years, I can't really understand it, either. Maybe she just doesn't agree with the JW faith, and doesn't want to give it any attention at all. But, I see no harm at all in exploring other religions, or just learning about them. I think it's important to know what others believe, personally. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
From someone who has explored so many religions not just for information, but with interest in pursuing over the past few years, I can't really understand it, either. Maybe she just doesn't agree with the JW faith, and doesn't want to give it any attention at all. But, I see no harm at all in exploring other religions, or just learning about them. I think it's important to know what others believe, personally. :)

That makes sense. Actually, the JW site has genealogy records unrelated to religion. It's free compared to ancestry.com; so, I offered it to her. She said she didn't want to look up the genealogy information on the site because it is on a JW site. The same information is on ancestry.com but you have to pay.

I mean, I respect her religious views. I just find it odd that she rather pay for the same records she can get free on a religious site.

I can't make sense of it.

pearl

I would assume it has something to do with trust and comfort. If for what ever reason if the result is trusted its not worth it. She is probably unable to give you a specific reason.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I would assume it has something to do with trust and comfort. If for what ever reason if the result is trusted its not worth it. She is probably unable to give you a specific reason.

Hmm. Probably. I know I asked my other christian friend to come to Mass with me one time but she refused. That made sense given she may feel uncomfortable even though she doesn't understand the Catholic faith. This though bamboozled me. I don't agree with JW site either, but its a good tool for other information outside of religion. :shrug:

David1967

Premium Member
Christians.

I have a friend whose despise JW. That's fine. We're talking about finding out our family history, genealogy, and things of that nature. Then I give her JW.org because they have a good collection of census records, birth certificates, etc from people back when for free.

She says she will never go on that site because it is JW.

I know some Catholics won't go into another Church even though scripture is the same regardless of the church. I know JW don't care for Catholicism and probably won't hear a word of the similarities they share if they ever went to a Mass a couple of times.

But this topic is completely unrelated to religion. How does going on that site have to do with the information on it? Outside of her bias and religious views, what would be a logical reason to not go on the site?

Do some of you feel the same way? If so, why?

I want to ask her but I can't figure an appropriate way to ask.

I see no problem with going on a particular religions website. What better way to find out about them than from their own available information. Especially, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with seeking census information from a website. That way of thinking is ridiculous IMHO.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I see no problem with going on a particular religions website. What better way to find out about them than from their own available information. Especially, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with seeking census information from a website. That way of thinking is ridiculous IMHO.

Yeah. She was really strong about it too. "I don't go on their site whatsoever." I don't think the JW can change the census records and change people's social security cards....

David1967

Premium Member
Yeah. She was really strong about it too. "I don't go on their site whatsoever." I don't think the JW can change the census records and change people's social security cards....

I also know people like your friend. One fundamentalist individual I know thinks it wrong to even sell to Mormons or JW's, saying that God would not bless the money you make off them. I have no idea why any rational person would think that way. Strange world we live in.