• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians? what do you think of this entertaining story?

davidthegreek

Does it have any truth in it according to your traditions?
I copied it from Yahoo Answers.

One day, a man died. He went to the Pearly Gates, and there he met Saint Peter.

Pete looked over his life record, and said, "You're fine. C'mon in. Welcome to Heaven! And what is your denomination?"

The man had to think for a moment, and then he said, "Uh, just Christian, I guess."

Peter smiled. "It's Okay. We don't insist that anyone be a Christian to get in. I only ask so that I can make sure you are put in with folks who are like you, so you'll be more comfortable. Let's go to room fifteen. I think you'll find the folks there are great company."

The man hesitated for a second, and then asked, "You know, I'd really like to know how some of the other rooms look too, if that's permitted."

Peter responded, "Sure! Sure! Here, for instance are the Episcopalians." He opened the door to a room, and a coffee hour and tea party seemed to be in full swing. The people inside turned and waved to Peter and he smiled broadly and waved back.

Peter then showed the man several other rooms. Everyone was in just the place they were most comfortable. It was very beautiful.

Then Peter told the man, "Now this is very important. You must be very quiet now." The man nodded. Peter took him down a long hall to a very distant room. He didn't open the door to the room, but instead ushered the man into a side room where he could look out into the room and see all the people.

The man was puzzled, because the room was really pretty much the same as all the others. "Why do we have to be so quiet?"

"SHHH!!" whispered Peter. "These are the Fundamentalists, and they don't believe there's anyone else up here!"

Turned out there were a few other of these secret rooms....

InChrist

Free4ever
I don't think it is accurate at all according to the Bible.

After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” Revelation 7:9-10

Bob Dixon

>implying
I don't think it is accurate at all according to the Bible.

After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” Revelation 7:9-10

John 14:2, "In my father's house are many rooms..."

;)

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I thought it was a very entertaining story. :D And Bob Dixon's response was great.

And I do feel that the Fundamentalists bit was spot-on. I also feel that you don't have to be a Christian to get to Heaven.

davidthegreek

I thought it was a very entertaining story. :D And Bob Dixon's response was great.

And I do feel that the Fundamentalists bit was spot-on. I also feel that you don't have to be a Christian to get to Heaven.

agreed. But as far as I am concerned, there is one little issue though according to the church. {In this case I call "church", all the churches that call themselves christian. ) Although you don't have to be a christian to get into heaven. If you are christian already though, and you change religion, then perhaps you lose your salvation. However I am not sure if I understood that last part, correctly when I read it. If you know better, share your thoughts. I am all ears. After all perhaps you know more about Christianity and tradition than I do. In fact I know very little. Only Whatever I can remember.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Perhaps because he was anticipating some debating, which isn't allowed in the DIR?

Shiranui117

Premium Member
agreed. But as far as I am concerned, there is one little issue though according to the church. {In this case I call "church", all the churches that call themselves christian. ) Although you don't have to be a christian to get into heaven. If you are christian already though, and you change religion, then perhaps you lose your salvation. However I am not sure if I understood that last part, correctly when I read it. If you know better, share your thoughts. I am all ears. After all perhaps you know more about Christianity and tradition than I do. In fact I know very little. Only Whatever I can remember.
I think you're thinking of this passage from Hebrews 6:
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away,[b] to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

The idea is, if one learns the Faith well, if one has a good relationship with God and gets to know and love Him, and then suddenly turns away, knowing full-well that they're turning their backs on God and the Truth, then it's a willful rejection of God and His ways, and if this rejection of God is permanent and they don't come back, then that person has cut themselves off from God forever, and they don't even care.

Of course, since we're sinners, we're constantly "falling away" from God on a small scale from day to day. But as long as we don't close our hearts off to God, we can keep coming back to Him in repentance.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well, it's not in the Christianity DIR, so, actually it's innacurate. The Catholic church would be more discriminatory when it comes to sin/
basically the OP doesn't make sense, isn't accurate, and isn't really funny

davidthegreek

I think you're thinking of this passage from Hebrews 6:
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away,[b] to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

The idea is, if one learns the Faith well, if one has a good relationship with God and gets to know and love Him, and then suddenly turns away, knowing full-well that they're turning their backs on God and the Truth, then it's a willful rejection of God and His ways, and if this rejection of God is permanent and they don't come back, then that person has cut themselves off from God forever, and they don't even care.

Of course, since we're sinners, we're constantly "falling away" from God on a small scale from day to day. But as long as we don't close our hearts off to God, we can keep coming back to Him in repentance.

if one loves God and has a good relationship with him. Why would they turn their backs on God? Though it is possible for people to reject specific doctrines that they have been taught about God, because of a Doubt. How is it possible to turn their backs on God himself? it doesn't make sense. If they don't know God. Or if they doubt his existence, then it's possible. But if they know him well as you said, why would they?

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Premium Member
if one loves God and has a good relationship with him. Why would they turn their backs on God? Though it is possible for people to reject specific doctrines that they have been taught about God, because of a Doubt. How is it possible to turn their backs on God himself? it doesn't make sense. If they don't know God. Or if they doubt his existence, then it's possible. But if they know him well as you said, why would they?
Your guess is as good as mine. :shrug: Maybe they wanted to do something sinful, and the desire to live a life of sin outweighed their desire to be with God? Maybe doubting His existence, ceasing to believe in Him, then developing a jaded view of religion and God?