• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: What can we learn from the sin of Nadab and Abihu?

The text to which I am referring is found in Leviticus 10 - particularly verses 1 and 2. It says:

"1 Now Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took their respective firepans, and after putting fire in them, placed incense on it and offered strange fire before the LORD, which He had not commanded them.
2 And fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD. " - NASB

What can we learn from this?

A few things at first glance: honour God in the way He instructed, if you're not the high priest, don't pretend to be, don't enter the Holy of holies without blood, don't do what God has commanded not. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that though.

PS. You may also want to consider addressing this to Jews. I'm sure there are some Jews with views on Leviticus.

honour God in the way He instructed
I agree. To me, this speaks very loudly on the matter of authority, particularly, as you put it,
don't do what God has commanded not.
I couldn't agree more.

if you're not the high priest, don't pretend to be
And if you are the priest (or anyone else for that matter), that doesn't give you the right to take liberties with the commands of God.

esmith

Veteran Member
The following is a brief "summation" of the interpretation from the Jewish Study Bible.

The Rabbis and medieval commentators thought the punishment was severe for a "mere" ritual offense from two young priest. Since it seemed to steam from a sincere, though perhaps over enthusiastic, desire to serve the Lord. They suggested other reasons for the punishment (such as drunkenness, celibacy, arrogant impatience for Moses and Aaron to die, or neglect of their scared obligations). In biblical thought, however, ritual crimes are dire. Further the sin of the two brothers was not simply that they went too far in their misguided, super piety. Rather, they acted in utter disregard for the deity. God intended that the manifestation of His Presence would ignite the altar fire marking His acceptance of His people's devotion. Their intent was for the divine fire to ignite their own pans; that is they were attempting to arrogate control of the deity to themselves. See 1 Kings 13.38 for the divine fire.

Strength & Honor said:
And if you are the priest (or anyone else for that matter), that doesn't give you the right to take liberties with the commands of God.
Now that I've thought about it a bit more, in addition to what's you've said, I'd add to the concept of not pretending to be the High priest the thought of not stepping on other peoples' toes when it comes to ministry. God had ordained the priests to do some things, the High priest to do others. The HG stopped Paul and Timotheus from going into Bithynia because God had a plan to send Peter there instead. Simarly, we shouldn't try to do what God has ordained others to do (especially assumming the role of the High priest, who according Hebrews is now Jesus, (and the Levitical priesthood has ended anyway, only the Melchizedek priesthood remians,) and it's not like we can sacrifice anything better than Jesus did,) rather we should be focused on the ministry that God has called us to, not be trying to fulfil other peoples' callings.

esmith said:
See 1 Kings 13.38 for the divine fire.
That reference to divine fire is in chapter 18, not 13.

you always must need to respect and give honor to your GOD. Don't pretend because GOD don't like this. Cheating to others will always drag you toward hell.