• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians: The Trinity Fails to Describe God.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
No-- the opposite.

The concept of "essence" is important to begin to understand the Catholic view, which can be defined like this: the totality of something is more than just the sum of its parts. Or to put it another way: Jesus is of the essence of God.

The Trinity is an attempt to clarify that somewhat, but we also call it the "Mystery of the Trinity", implying that it's beyond our comprehension to completely understand this. Personally, I haven't a clue how accurate it may or may not be, nor do I lose any sleep over not knowing.
I'm not at home now, but I do have a catechism. I'll look up a few things later. Thanks. But it's kind of like the theory of abiogenesis, maybe it is, maybe it isn't because no one knows and doubtfully will any human know except to accept that in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. That settles any big question in my mind, because of observation and learning what the Bible says.

YoursTrue

You’ve got a weally skwewy idea of the doctrine. It appears as though you can’t wrap your mind around the concept that 3 Persons can (and do) share one Being. That Being is ... God. It’s really not that difficult. You also appear to reject the idea that a Jesus is capable of being both fully human and fully divine.
Yes, it is that difficult. Three persons are one being? Where in the human race are three humans said to be one human, forget being. That three humans are all humans is true, but one human in three humans?

YoursTrue

In this case, it's not "power" but education.

Here in the States, a priest pretty much has the equivalent of a graduate degree, and it goes well beyond just studying theology. In the Jesuit order, most have at least one ph.d., and some I have known have more than one.
There are many well-educated Protestant theologians as well, yet they separate themselves from Catholic doctrine. Now getting back to the definition of substance, according to the catechism I have, I'm looking under the topic of the Holy Trinity in the Teaching of the Faith, "the Church uses the term 'substance'...to designate the divine being in its unity..." So, aside from describing in detail at length all three designated as persons of the trinity, I will simply say so far that the Bible does not back up the idea that all 'three' are co-equal persons in the "Godhead."

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Yes, it is that difficult. Three persons are one being? Where in the human race are three humans said to be one human, forget being. That three humans are all humans is true, but one human in three humans?
Yeah, but that’s not what the doctrine says. We can’t forget “being” because that’s what the Greek term says. You’re creating a straw man.

YoursTrue

Yeah, but that’s not what the doctrine says. We can’t forget “being” because that’s what the Greek term says. You’re creating a straw man.
Not at all. Three persons do not add up to one 'being.' Sorry, but it neither works in theory nor in biblical reality. However, one is free to believe what he wants. Even if it doesn't add up.

YoursTrue

The idea of essence in three persons called God then saying they combine in theory to make one "being" doesn't make sense.

sojourner

Not at all. Three persons do not add up to one 'being.' Sorry, but it neither works in theory nor in biblical reality. However, one is free to believe what he wants. Even if it doesn't add up.
I didn’t insist not ask that you believe it. I said that’s what the doctrine says.

sojourner

The idea of essence in three persons called God then saying they combine in theory to make one "being" doesn't make sense.
That’s not what the doctrine says. You people dismiss the doctrine when you haven’t read it or understand what it says. Why is that?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There are many well-educated Protestant theologians as well, yet they separate themselves from Catholic doctrine.
But the reality is that they agree on more things than they disagree on, especially the most important items. I grew up in a Protestant church but didn't convert to Catholicism until I was 30, so I've had extensive experience in both.

And I used to teach a comparative religions course, whereas we did visitations, plus I also brought in speakers from numerous Christian churches, and also synagogues and mosques. I can go to any of their services and feel at home, with the exception of the fundamentalists that take the "my way or the highway" approach who tend to strut around like peacocks "thinking" that they have all the answers.

Now getting back to the definition of substance, according to the catechism I have, I'm looking under the topic of the Holy Trinity in the Teaching of the Faith, "the Church uses the term 'substance'...to designate the divine being in its unity..." So, aside from describing in detail at length all three designated as persons of the trinity, I will simply say so far that the Bible does not back up the idea that all 'three' are co-equal persons in the "Godhead."
Again, the key is understanding the concept of "essence" and how it is used, especially since the NT was written in Koine Greek. "Essence" was a widely used concept with the Mediterranean scholars back then and afterward, and this is by no means the only Greek-influenced concept that shows up in the N.T. One sees Paul's Greek education being reflected in his epistles, for another example, especially his use of dichotomy.

YoursTrue

But the reality is that they agree on more things than they disagree on, especially the most important items. I grew up in a Protestant church but didn't convert to Catholicism until I was 30, so I've had extensive experience in both.

And I used to teach a comparative religions course, whereas we did visitations, plus I also brought in speakers from numerous Christian churches, and also synagogues and mosques. I can go to any of their services and feel at home, with the exception of the fundamentalists that take the "my way or the highway" approach who tend to strut around like peacocks "thinking" that they have all the answers.

Again, the key is understanding the concept of "essence" and how it is used, especially since the NT was written in Koine Greek. "Essence" was a widely used concept with the Mediterranean scholars back then and afterward, and this is by no means the only Greek-influenced concept that shows up in the N.T. One sees Paul's Greek education being reflected in his epistles, for another example, especially his use of dichotomy.
There are some preachers of different doctrines that are good speakers but when they get into detail about belief or doctrine, it is at that point and fundamental, that I withdraw.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There are some preachers of different doctrines that are good speakers when they get into detail about belief or doctrine, it is at that point and fundamental, that I withdraw.
With me, I'll listen but then I want to see if evidence is there to back them up. Even though they come from different angles, science and serious theology cannot be at odds with each other, which is one main reason why I left the fundamentalist Protestant church I grew up in that rejected the ToE. My theological orientation strongly reflects my "naturalistic" viewpoint that God and nature, though not being exactly the same, must go hand-in-glove together, much like a paintings typically reflect some things about the painter.

And it is the Holy Spirit that led me back to the Church, and I believe this Spirit is likely to be an influence in probably all religions.

YoursTrue

With me, I'll listen but then I want to see if evidence is there to back them up. Even though they come from different angles, science and serious theology cannot be at odds with each other, which is one main reason why I left the fundamentalist Protestant church I grew up in that rejected the ToE. My theological orientation strongly reflects my "naturalistic" viewpoint that God and nature, though not being exactly the same, must go hand-in-glove together, much like a paintings typically reflect some things about the painter.

And it is the Holy Spirit that led me back to the Church, and I believe this Spirit is likely to be an influence in probably all religions.
Really? So that is why people claiming to be Christian have systemically killed each other throughout the centuries? Not to mention if the mother of Jesus is still the virgin?

sojourner

So you have a form of worship but you're really not sure about the basis for it.
My basis for worship is not mythic Bible stories.

Do you believe that God, a person or being that is a Creator who thinks, exists?
I believe that God is existence itself -- Being itself, that includes all life and energy, rather than some existent being in juxtaposition to creation.