• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Christians Protest Outside Ohio Courthouse After City Nixes Nativity Scene"

Skwim

Veteran Member
"In what is surely the dumbest protest taking place in America, Christians picketed outside the courthouse in Ravenna, Ohio in order for the city to bring back a Nativity scene outside the government building.

Officials decided to remove the Nativity scene after realizing that last year’s display violated the law. Rather than keep the display and open the floodgates to atheists and Satanists and everyone else, Mayor Frank Seman chose the safer route of just not putting any displays up at all.

Because the city won’t be promoting their religion this year, Christians were marching on the streets.

Steve Wiandt of the Record-Courier was there for the protest and got this incredible quotation:

“We would like to have the Nativity scene come back on the courthouse lawn,” said David Ballert, pastor of Bethel Baptist Church in Ravenna. “I’m here with my people because we care very much about the Lord Jesus Christ … I believe Ravenna is a great town. I believe that a town deserves to have Jesus Christ in it.”

Ballert said 40-50 members of his church were holding signs and singing Saturday to demonstrate their love of Ravenna and Jesus. He said he and his flock also were demonstrating Dec. 1, and plan to return Dec. 22. He said he wants permission from “the powers that be” to return the Nativity scene to the Ravenna Courthouse Lawn.

source

My only question is: Why is it necessary to have the Nativity scene on the courthouse lawn in the first place? What function does it preform that isn't accomplished in your churches? Do you really need to be reminded of the birth of Jesus outside your church? Are your memories that short? And in as much as you say " I believe that a town deserves to have Jesus Christ in it," won't Jesus be in your town churches?
I have a suggestion: How about hanging a small nativity scene around your neck so that wherever you go Jesus will be with you?

nativity scene pendant.png

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
One of the test cases on this that went to the SCOTUS on this happened in the city where I live, and it had to do with a nativity scene at city hall. The Court ruled that it can be legal only if it is also allowed for all other faiths or/and philosophies, including secular and atheistic. The people who put it up then removed it and put it on public property near a major highway whereas a lower court then said that this was also unconstitutional, so it finally was moved to a piece of private property near the highway.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My only question is: Why is it necessary to have the Nativity scene on the courthouse lawn? What function does it preform that isn't accomplished in your churches?
I think it's obvious what a nativity scene at a church doesn't accomplish: it doesn't combat secular government and church-state separation. This is what they're after, even though it's illegal. They want their government to be Christian.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Rather than prohibiting Christian symbols of Christmas, I'm more for being inclusive. I'm in favor of allowing the Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and what-have-you to also display their symbols of Christmas.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Rather than prohibiting Christian symbols of Christmas, I'm more for being inclusive. I'm in favor of allowing the Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and what-have-you to also display their symbols of Christmas.
Prohibition of all religious displays is the cheapest route.
Otherwise, it requires administration & real estate.
Demands upon both could increase.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Prohibition of all religious displays is the cheapest route.
Otherwise, it requires administration & real estate.
Demands upon both could increase.

Just how much space do you think Jewish, Hindu and Buddhist symbols of Christmas are going to take?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My only question is: Why is it necessary to have the Nativity scene on the courthouse lawn? What function does it preform that isn't accomplished in your churches? Do you really need to be reminded of the birth of Jesus outside your church? Are your memories that short? And in as much as you say " I believe that a town deserves to have Jesus Christ in it," won't Jesus be in your town churches?

I suspect it's about the continuation of government influence by the only "true" religion.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Just how much space do you think Jewish, Hindu and Buddhist symbols of Christmas are going to take?
Eh, it depends. My 20 meter tall statue of Cthulhu hasn't arrived yet, so I guess we'll have to settle with the 10 meter tall.

Prestor John

"In what is surely the dumbest protest taking place in America, Christians picketed outside the courthouse in Ravenna, Ohio in order for the city to bring back a Nativity scene outside the government building.

Officials decided to remove the Nativity scene after realizing that last year’s display violated the law. Rather than keep the display and open the floodgates to atheists and Satanists and everyone else, Mayor Frank Seman chose the safer route of just not putting any displays up at all.

Because the city won’t be promoting their religion this year, Christians were marching on the streets.

Steve Wiandt of the Record-Courier was there for the protest and got this incredible quotation:

“We would like to have the Nativity scene come back on the courthouse lawn,” said David Ballert, pastor of Bethel Baptist Church in Ravenna. “I’m here with my people because we care very much about the Lord Jesus Christ … I believe Ravenna is a great town. I believe that a town deserves to have Jesus Christ in it.”

Ballert said 40-50 members of his church were holding signs and singing Saturday to demonstrate their love of Ravenna and Jesus. He said he and his flock also were demonstrating Dec. 1, and plan to return Dec. 22. He said he wants permission from “the powers that be” to return the Nativity scene to the Ravenna Courthouse Lawn.

source

My only question is: Why is it necessary to have the Nativity scene on the courthouse lawn in the first place? What function does it preform that isn't accomplished in your churches? Do you really need to be reminded of the birth of Jesus outside your church? Are your memories that short? And in as much as you say " I believe that a town deserves to have Jesus Christ in it," won't Jesus be in your town churches?
I have a suggestion: How about hanging a small nativity scene around your neck so that wherever you go Jesus will be with you?

Christmas is a national holiday in the United States. Celebrating it does not make anyone Christian.

The war on Christmas is real and these people have chosen their own method to fight in this war.

I wish they knew that protesting is pointless and actually hurts their cause, but they have every right to look silly if they want.

Americans, of every creed or religion, should be able to stand together and celebrate this national holiday.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Eh, it depends. My 20 meter tall statue of Cthulhu hasn't arrived yet, so I guess we'll have to settle with the 10 meter tall.
At least the 10 meter one doesn't have the giant exposed genitalia....all 3 kinds.
That could be controversial.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
At least the 10 meter one doesn't have the giant exposed genitalia....all 3 kinds.
That could be controversial.
Eh, the Baphomet statue has boobs so I don't think anyone will care. I mean, that's a weird place to draw the line. Boobs are ok, but put your kilt snake away? Who would say that?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I have no problem with any and all religious displays on anyone's private property. And in fact, I have little problem with same on lots of public property...city squares and so on...so long as the rules allow for equal participation by all religions, should they choose.

I think, however, it can become an issue when one religion's symbols are displayed where governance and law are determined, because governance and law must be supposed to ignore religious beliefs when laws are for us all. Thus, courthouses, parliament buildings, legislatures, are better off refraining...unless of course they are willing to set up the complete pantheon of all religious beliefs that might be in the vicinity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Eh, the Baphomet statue has boobs so I don't think anyone will care. I mean, that's a weird place to draw the line. Boobs are ok, but put your kilt snake away? Who would say that?
Courthouses.....strange standards of decency they have.