• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Preferred: Are only Literalists True Christians™?

Clara Tea

Welcome to the forums @ElishaElijah :).

As a Christian I deeply respect literalists and I kinda admire them.
I am not a literalist because as a child I was never taught that the Bible is supposed to be the scientific truth.
My Catholic priest taught me that the Genesis tale is an allegory and that scientists are right about the origin of mankind (without going into detail...but surely admitting Evolution.).
So my upbringing deeply influenced my beliefs.
I do believe that Evolution doesn't diminish God's greatness.

And I thought that Al Gore was only about cutting government regulations, pushing for a free internet, and warning of Global Warming. Now I realize that allegories are stories.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So, my position is that we are not related to the animal kingdom.
We are animals, and didn't your wife say that you are "really quite an animal" at times? :eek:

We exercise dominion over those areas and are to take care of those areas.
And that's a problem-- unless it's matched with respect for what God has provided, both here on Earth and even with the universe. Everyone, imo, should be an "environmentalist", not that it should be worshipped but that I feel it's God's gift to us and we should be appreciative and do our best not to waste, harm, or destroy what we have been given. To me, not throwing away food, not using more fuel than we need, not polluting our land or water or atmosphere, not being materialistic, not being greedy, not being hedonistic, etc. are probably more important than maybe all the "amens" we can mouth.

IOW, actions speak louder than words, and I'm quite sure you agree with me on that.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What it does goes to show, is that literalism was not a part of early Christianity the ways that modern fundamentalists seems to want people to believe it was. There was a lot of diversity back then, and Origin, among others of that time, who considered a literalist reading to be something worthy of ridicule, which is what he was responding to showing how it couldn't be literal.

I agree with you that anything anyone reads from scripture is an interpretation of it. Which is why I will rebuff those who try to prove evolution is wrong based upon their interpretation of Genesis, or the Bible in general.

When it comes to science however, it's demands for supporting evidence is considerably higher than just mere opinions. A "theory" in science, is more accurately understood as a highly supported model based upon strong evidences. Something does not become a theory, if it is a guess or a simple hypothesis. So one cannot be truthful if they try to equate what science says about nature, with how someone reads scripture as being of equal weight or truth. That is a comparison between discussing apples and astronomy. You cannot consider them equals or comparable.

What seems to be disjointed here is when you say, "that literalism was not a part of early Christianity" just because Origen had a different view. Actually, there were many literalists in that time.

Science obviously doesn't address the spiritual aspects of things nor or if a scientist does, he is ridiculed for doing so.

Theory may have "highly supported models based upon strong evidence" as long as we remember that there are probably at least 5 scientific theories on creation and they all can't be right and therefore a "theory" still remains simply a theory.

Just assuming that the withered hand that Jesus spoke to actually happened. It grew bone, nerves and muscle tissue until it was as normal as the first hand. Scientific explanation? none other that "It is a myth, an analogy or a metaphorical story. In other words, science will not address it.

That arm would have the appearance of having grown over 18+ years yet it grew within an instant.

Those who believe in a normal 24 hour period would simply hold to the possibility that it appears to have taken longer but it was simply fast-tracked. (Note - I am just reporting to what those who hold the belief fo 6 day creation.

Then again there are other Christian "possibilities" of how it happened just as science has multiple positions.

I would say it accurately reflects the human condition through the metaphor of the Garden of Eden. But I would not call it history in the sense of what really happened in history. It's imaginary, yet true. It is not necessary for Adam and Eve to have been literal human beings, in order for the story to be the truth about us.

Do you understand how that can be so, that something can be true in its meaning, while the actual story that carries that message, may be a creative invention designed in order to effectively tell a story that conveys that truth? I am curious to see if you agree with that or not.

Yes, I understand. I am sure that there are some metaphorical applications but I don't believe that it is completely metaphorical.

My reasoning is simple: Luke 1:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,24 Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,25 Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,26 Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,27 Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,28 Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,29 Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,30 Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,31 Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,32 Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,33 Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda, 34 Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor, 35 Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,36 Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,37 Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

These aren't metaphorical people.

Well, that can be true of course. Take for instance the narrative stories about Jesus. I believe Jesus was a real person historically. But stories of him walking on water, are by design, theological truths, to convey meaning. Whether that actually occurred, is beneath the point of its inclusion in the story.

One can derive meaning and truth from the story, while not necessarily believing it literally happened. You can believe it literally happened if you need to find the meaning of it, but it is not necessary for faith to do so however. Others can derive the meaning, while not really believing it literally happened as the story presents it. Rather, we see it as a story to convey great spiritual truths and meanings, through symbolism.

Yes, people can and do derive meaning and truth from these stories. There is much meaning in each story. I simply believe they are true and still derive the same meanings and truths from these events.

This is unfortunate that you don't have an understanding of how science works at this point, after so long on this forum with such aware members who correct Christians all the time about this. In reality, science was there. They are looking at, examining, testing, the items that literally were there! :) That rock is not 5 minutes old. It's 3 million years old, and existed 3 million years ago. They don't speculate, and then call that science. Science and theology, are entirely different things.

Please hold on to the horses. :) I never said "I believe in the 24 hour creation' but simply am stating the positions of some. Personally, I have a different approach where science is present and yet the spiritual truths are still applied using the theory of relativity. But still hold onto mankind being "created".

The way you worded this, is that because of how you read the Bible, evolution cannot be true. That is making a truth claim. Other than your reading of the Bible, why should you dismiss the scientific Theory of Evolution? I can't think of any other reason, other than it challenges your belief in God the way that you hold it. But is that a bad thing? I see that as a good thing, personally, to have our notions about God stretched, modified, and or dropped altogether. That as an exercise, keeps Faith healthy. Can you agree with that, at least in principle?

Not at all. Since it simply says "God created the fowl of the air" - He could have done it through evolution as it doesn't mention "how" He made it happen other than He spoke a command and nature responded to the direction of the command.

It amazes me how everything we see actually has purpose. One set of people say it was chance, I wouldn't agree and I am not even sure that would follow the 2nd law of thermodynamics (If I understand it correctly). I think a God factor makes it all have sense.

While there are differences in human beings from the other animals in the world, humans are in fact still animals. We follow the same basic designs as all the rest of the animals, within our classification system. We all have a bilateral body plan, we have a spinal column, a brain, blood, etc, etc. etc. There is no way we are not created from the same stuff. There is no way we are not part of the animal kingdom.

That does not mean, that God did not create us.

As far as "science has many theories that change from time to time", that is untrue. A scientific theory is rigorously supported, and it is extremely rare when they a Scientific Theory is overturned. Again, I am either surprised, or a bit dismayed, that you are unaware of this at this point. Either you missed it, or are simply choosing to ignore it. The former if understandable, the latter is not. I hope it's just the former.

What Do We Mean by “Theory” in Science?.

Again... we are talking two different points here so please don't extrapolate that I am unaware of science or the meaning of theory et al.

Man came to the conclusion that we are animals. Correct. That is man's interpretation of what we see. Basically speaking, science does not deal with the spiritual side. They derive this position from what they can see.

Someone decided that a Platypus is a mammal even though it lays eggs. They came to this conclusion because of other factors... yet it lays eggs. A man decided that. Man decided he evolved from the line of some common ancestral ape (though we don't know which one).

My position is that all animals have souls but only man has a spirit. Science won't deal with that as stated by one person"

"Modern science is essentially faith materialistic. It suffices to read scientific journals and one sees that explanations and theories are based exclusively on physical processes; for instance, no one formulates the hypothesis that thinking may have a non-physical origin, and neuronal activity may be a consequence and not the cause of thoughts. I am sure that if a paper would explicitly state this hypothesis, it would not be accepted for publication at a recognized scientific journal. On the other hand, journals with popular science in general ridicule any type of spirituality."

I find this to be basically true.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
With permission of @ElishaElijah, who is new to the forum, I want to reproduce his opinion here:
In Arkansas inflicts child abuse on its school children

Evolution vs. creationism threads tend to attract only non believers on the evolution side even so most people who identify as Christian are not creationists/literalists. But it seems there is a lot of potential debate between the two Christian camps. So, please, discuss/debate.

One need not be a literalist to be a true Christian.

One MUST have trusted Jesus, not oneself or one's good deeds, for salvation, to be a true Christian (John 3:3, 3:7, 3:16; Romans 6:23, etc., etc.).

metis

"Modern science is essentially faith materialistic. It suffices to read scientific journals and one sees that explanations and theories are based exclusively on physical processes; for instance, no one formulates the hypothesis that thinking may have a non-physical origin, and neuronal activity may be a consequence and not the cause of thoughts. I am sure that if a paper would explicitly state this hypothesis, it would not be accepted for publication at a recognized scientific journal. On the other hand, journals with popular science in general ridicule any type of spirituality."

Science can only deal with that which there is objective evidence for, thus even historical accounts, from let's say from 200 years ago, cannot qualify unless we can objectively test such things it may conclude now. In some cases we can do that but in many others we simply can't.

Therefore, how can we scientifically deal with "In the beginning, God..."? If we use the Bible as somehow being objective evidence, are we going to do the same with the Upanishads, for example?

You know I have two "hats": science and Christianity. But the latter hat is not based on objectivity but subjectivity with me, and you know better than anyone else here why the latter eventually convinced me to return to the Church. It may not be objective, but not every important thing in life is objectively derived.

Have a great weekend, my friend.

Kenny

Premium Member
We are animals, and didn't your wife say that you are "really quite an animal" at times? :eek:

And that's a problem-- unless it's matched with respect for what God has provided, both here on Earth and even with the universe. Everyone, imo, should be an "environmentalist", not that it should be worshipped but that I feel it's God's gift to us and we should be appreciative and do our best not to waste, harm, or destroy what we have been given. To me, not throwing away food, not using more fuel than we need, not polluting our land or water or atmosphere, not being materialistic, not being greedy, not being hedonistic, etc. are probably more important than maybe all the "amens" we can mouth.

IOW, actions speak louder than words, and I'm quite sure you agree with me on that.
I agree... we should be environmentalists!!! But I don't think that a farmer who killed a mouse as he plowed his land should be prosecuted:

"Lin maintained that he discovered that the land was teeming with several endangered species only after government agents seized his tractor and charged him with three counts of knowingly destroying critical habitat for the Tipton kangaroo rat, the San Joaquin kit fox and the blunt-nosed leopard lizard.

He faced a maximum three years in jail and $300,000 in fines if found guilty. His prosecution galvanized conservative opposition to the Endangered Species Act, which Republicans in Congress have targeted for overhaul this year."

U.S. Dismisses Charges That Farmer Killed Rare Rats : Environment: Conservatives seeking to alter the Endangered Species Act praise the move. The case will be pursued only against the man's family corporation.

It should be rational environmentalism. (I make my own compost pile and recycle)

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
Literalism is not only a manifestation of ignorance, it also is pretty much a form of idolatry.
I disagree. No ignorance here. No idolatry here. I take the Bible literally unless it's prophecy. Jesus is not a literal sheep for instance.
I do look at the facts.
The Bible is not perfect,
I disagree,
there are perfect goals in soccer, perfect looking women, perfect situations and much more... I don't think that God wanted his Bible to be inferior.

metis

I agree... we should be environmentalists!!! But I don't think that a farmer who killed a mouse as he plowed his land should be prosecuted:
There are many laws to try and protect endangered species, and I would suggest that many of them are probably there for good reason.

Speaking of which, an interesting side-bar, imo, is that Einstein believed that our planet was more endangered by meat eating than by another other factor. I don't know if he still would, though, but that goes to show how concerned he was about this problem-- and it is a problem. My wife and I are not vegetarians, but we do keep meat eating at a minimum, usually about twice per week, and that includes all meals, btw.

It should be rational environmentalism. (I make my own compost pile and recycle)
Why do you need to compost when you persistently spout manure here? :p

BTW, my wife says she wants to recycle me, but I'm not sure what she means by that.:shrug:

metis

I disagree. No ignorance here. No idolatry here. I take the Bible literally unless it's prophecy. Jesus is not a literal sheep for instance.
I do look at the facts.

I disagree,
there are perfect goals in soccer, perfect looking women, perfect situations and much more... I don't think that God wanted his Bible to be inferior.
I disagree with your disagreements as no scriptures are perfect for reasons I already mentioned. What you are using is interpretation-- yours, which is all fine & dandy as far as it goes. But yours is not the only one, thus through the annals of time theologians and other researchers often would disagree on various narratives.

For a quick example: with the women at Jesus' tomb narratives, no two accounts match. If you doubt me on that, then let me recommend you give it a go and see for yourself.

So, how can one believe in a literalistic approach since there are so many "variations" on the same narrative at times?

thomas t

For a quick example: with the women at Jesus' tomb narratives, no two accounts match. If you doubt me on that, then let me recommend you give it a go and see for yourself.

So, how can one believe in a literalistic approach since there are so many "variations" on the same narrative at times?
because these variations complement each other, as I see it. It's as simple as that.

metis

because these variations complement each other, as I see it. It's as simple as that.
Differences are differences, thus the truth cannot vary just because one may want it to. And the early Church did not teach that literalism was acceptable, as that approach is actually quite recent and was a reaction to what's called "modernism".

IOW, perfectionism cannot be found here on Earth, or so it seems, even if we want it to or even some may believe that it is. And it really doesn't make a difference anyway because even if the scriptures were to be perfect, our ability to process and understand them is really at least somewhat limited.

Therefore, no matter how one looks at it, literalism is simply not to be found.

thomas t

Differences are differences, thus the truth cannot vary just because one may want it to.
no the truth cannot vary, the differences complement each other.
One example:

"the murderer had glasses"
"the murderer was a man"
Is that a contradiction? No, it was a man with glasses.

And the early Church did not teach that literalism was acceptable, as that approach is actually quite recent and was a reaction to what's called "modernism".
Actually, the approach of taking things literally is as old as Jesus.
  • Jesus referred to the sign of Jonah - and meant it that way. Not some sort of parabolic Jonah in the air. He meant the real Jonah inside the real whale.
  • Jesus referred to the murder of the prophets as actual murder. No hypothetical figure of speech there.
  • Jesus referred to the flood as the flood. The global one. Because the thing he compared it to (his second coming) is also a global event.

Kenny

Premium Member
There are many laws to try and protect endangered species, and I would suggest that many of them are probably there for good reason.

Speaking of which, an interesting side-bar, imo, is that Einstein believed that our planet was more endangered by meat eating than by another other factor. I don't know if he still would, though, but that goes to show how concerned he was about this problem-- and it is a problem. My wife and I are not vegetarians, but we do keep meat eating at a minimum, usually about twice per week, and that includes all meals, btw.

Why do you need to compost when you persistently spout manure here? :p

BTW, my wife says she wants to recycle me, but I'm not sure what she means by that.:shrug:
LOL... always love the humor!

LOL I think Einstein's capacity and expertise wasn't in the area of food. As we should all be saying "where's the beef'! :D Should I be saying "Lamb"?

Fish is what we are trying to increase in.

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him:

I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God.

That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

― C.S. Lewis

In other words, if you're NOT a "literalist" (actually a derogatory term), then WHAT exactly makes you a Christian?

As biblical literalism was only invented in the c.18th and c.19th, it seems fairly obvious that it is far from being a requirement for being a Christian.

But there are some extreme Protestant sects that like to indulge the No True Scotsman fallacy by trying to redefine Christianity to fit their own narrow - and ,frankly, stupid - version of it. :D

Ummm...What???

"Biblical literalism" could not actually exist before an actual Bible was codified into one book from many volumes.

But even that's irrelevant.

A cursory reading of any of the Gospels or books of the New Testament (or even the Old Testament) NEVER says "These are just really good stories to help with life, and stuff."

The "One True Scotsman" fallacy is a cliche' often used by those who try to deny the divinity of Christ and God's Word.

No one really cares who the "one, true Scotsman" is...And that has NOTHING to do with the accuracy of the Bible. It's a canard...A sad little Red Herring.

If the "Scotsman" in question has his legitimacy backed up by history and science (akin to Christ), then he COULD claim to be the "One true Scotsman."

In other words...You need to upgrade your cliches.

What is meant by literal method of interpretation?

Attachments

• B7954334-D35D-46C6-A2EE-80CDB75EC30B.jpeg
    B7954334-D35D-46C6-A2EE-80CDB75EC30B.jpeg
    865.4 KB · Views: 2
What I said was in order for you to be a believer/Christian you have accepted the gospel and have been born again of the Spirit. You have made a covenant with God and accepted the fact that the Bible His Word and the Truth, you have repented of your old way of life and live according to the Word of God by the power of the Holy Spirit.
On the other hand if you don’t believe that the Bible is the Word of God you are an unbeliever.

“But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
‭‭II Timothy‬ ‭3:14-17‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ummm...What???

"Biblical literalism" could not actually exist before an actual Bible was codified into one book from many volumes.

But even that's irrelevant.

A cursory reading of any of the Gospels or books of the New Testament (or even the Old Testament) NEVER says "These are just really good stories to help with life, and stuff."

The "One True Scotsman" fallacy is a cliche' often used by those who try to deny the divinity of Christ and God's Word.

No one really cares who the "one, true Scotsman" is...And that has NOTHING to do with the accuracy of the Bible. It's a canard...A sad little Red Herring.

If the "Scotsman" in question has his legitimacy backed up by history and science (akin to Christ), then he COULD claim to be the "One true Scotsman."

In other words...You need to upgrade your cliches.
My cliche expresses my meaning perfectly, thanks. :D

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What seems to be disjointed here is when you say, "that literalism was not a part of early Christianity" just because Origen had a different view. Actually, there were many literalists in that time.
While that may be true, just as today you have those who believe all sorts of ways about God and what scripture is and means. But it's clear that Origin was speaking from an entirely different framework than them. And it is Origin who was largely responsible for Christianity being taken seriously, as he moved it from a place of ridicule, to a well articulated philosophical/metaphysical system that had its place, that rivaled or surpassed the Greeks, whom he studied and taught.

This is a well-written article intended for both Atheists and Fundamentalists who misunderstand the reality of the early Christian church, and why is it wrong to assume the early church read the Bible literally. The Great Myths 11: Biblical Literalism - History for Atheists

Theory may have "highly supported models based upon strong evidence" as long as we remember that there are probably at least 5 scientific theories on creation and they all can't be right and therefore a "theory" still remains simply a theory.
To be honest, I am confused as to why they are calling those scientific theories, other than using the words hypothesis may confuse the average reader? The Theory of Evolution however is different than what you referenced here, which are hypothesis regarding the origins of life itself. That's not what the ToE encompasses.

Just assuming that the withered hand that Jesus spoke to actually happened. It grew bone, nerves and muscle tissue until it was as normal as the first hand. Scientific explanation? none other that "It is a myth, an analogy or a metaphorical story. In other words, science will not address it.

That arm would have the appearance of having grown over 18+ years yet it grew within an instant.

Those who believe in a normal 24 hour period would simply hold to the possibility that it appears to have taken longer but it was simply fast-tracked. (Note - I am just reporting to what those who hold the belief fo 6 day creation.

Then again there are other Christian "possibilities" of how it happened just as science has multiple positions.
There are certainly different Christian perspectives on that story. For myself, I see the entire gospels themselves as parables. So the story has significance from a spiritual perspective. To try to dissect it with science, is to completely be missing the intended point of it. This is my major problem with Creationism as a supposed "science" (which it is not). They miss the point of the story and why it was written. It wasn't to teach the earth sciences! :)

Yes, I understand. I am sure that there are some metaphorical applications but I don't believe that it is completely metaphorical.

My reasoning is simple: Luke 1:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,24 Which was the son of Matthat,...

...which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

These aren't metaphorical people.
Mythologies use the names of real people all the time. Homer's Odyssey certainly named real historical places and people, but I'm pretty sure the cyclops and Poseidon, were mythic figures. But this did not address my question to you, which was,

"Do you understand how that can be so, that something can be true in its meaning, while the actual story that carries that message, may be a creative invention designed in order to effectively tell a story that conveys that truth?"​

Can the story of Adam and Eve been true, while the actual events of the story were purely allegorical and mythic? Can it convey the same, if not more depth of meaning to you, even if you understood they were not historical in the sense we think of historical facts today? If not, then can you explain how it can have meaning to those like me, who do not accept that they were two actual people identical as the story presents them?

Yes, people can and do derive meaning and truth from these stories. There is much meaning in each story. I simply believe they are true and still derive the same meanings and truths from these events.
If it isn't necessary for some for them to be true to find the meaning, then why do some feel it necessary to deny science when it appears to them to be encroaching on sacred ground, that being their beliefs about God and the Bible? You won't see me trying to "disprove science" in order to protect my views of scripture. You'll see it the other way around actually welcoming the insights, in order to better understand the nature of symbolic truths.

Please hold on to the horses. :) I never said "I believe in the 24 hour creation' but simply am stating the positions of some. Personally, I have a different approach where science is present and yet the spiritual truths are still applied using the theory of relativity. But still hold onto mankind being "created".
I wasn't intending that analogy to be challenging that. I brought that up because you had repeated that argument I've heard out the Ken Ham camp, telling the young ones when they hear a scientist in school teaching about of evolution, to challenge them as say, "Were you there???" Which is an absolutely ridiculous argument. Yes, science was there, in effect, because they are studying real things that came from back then. That rock was there however many million years ago. It's not made up make believe. Why should he cast it that way to the minds of these impressionable youth? Fear of truth? I have to ask.

Not at all. Since it simply says "God created the fowl of the air" - He could have done it through evolution as it doesn't mention "how" He made it happen other than He spoke a command and nature responded to the direction of the command.

It amazes me how everything we see actually has purpose. One set of people say it was chance, I wouldn't agree and I am not even sure that would follow the 2nd law of thermodynamics (If I understand it correctly). I think a God factor makes it all have sense.
I accept evolution, because the science is solid. I believe in God, because I have both faith, and experience of the Divine. That said, I believe God is the Ground of all Being, to use Paul Tillich's term. All that is, arises from the Divine as Source. That is, God is the Creator of everything. Evolution, is God creating, in the present continuous tense. While we can think of 'the creation' as a single event of the past, the reality is, as the science shows as well, that was the beginning. Not the end.

While the story of the Garden of Eden is set at some "time" in the past, that is an origin story, meant to relate each and everyone of us to that time, which exists within ourselves. That core union with the Divine, and falling from that deep inner origins of who we are, as creations of the Divine itself, is the story of the 'creation'.

But it's a story in a timeless past, not a fixed, historical date. Bishop Usher, had a very modernistic idea in his head, when he picked up sacred myth, and tried to approach it scientifically! :) Sadly, that type of thinking has impacted many generations to follow him towards that same conflation of disparate narratives. It unnecessarily confuses faith, IMO.

Man came to the conclusion that we are animals. Correct. That is man's interpretation of what we see. Basically speaking, science does not deal with the spiritual side. They derive this position from what they can see.

Someone decided that a Platypus is a mammal even though it lays eggs. They came to this conclusion because of other factors... yet it lays eggs. A man decided that. Man decided he evolved from the line of some common ancestral ape (though we don't know which one).
I'll agree that humans created classification systems as part of doing good science. But I want to call out something you let slip here.

Man did not decide that humans evolved from a common primate ancestor shared by other primate species today. They discovered that to be the truth of our origins and ancestry through the tools of science, such as DNA mapping, for one. They "decided" that the data was pointing to that, and they confirmed that data and conclusions from multiple other sets of examinations. All pointing to the same conclusion.

That, is not just arbitrarily imagining it and 'just deciding' that was the case. That is a bad-faith argument, if that is what you were intending to imply?

My position is that all animals have souls but only man has a spirit. Science won't deal with that as stated by one person"
Of course science does not examine these things. It's not the right set of eyes to use to examine it. We use other sets of eyes to examine the things of the Spirit. That's an interesting perspective on animals. How do you define spirit, and how do you define soul in this context?

I share that view myself. As I said, to examine the things of the spirit, that becomes a subjective interior exploration. Welcome here, deep mediators, prophets, seers, or otherwise known as the mystics. That's a whole subject in itself I'll skip over here, but suffice to say, Reality is a lot more than just the whole exterior side of reality, or the materialist perspective.

While the scientific and naturalist perspective is valid, and why I accept evolution as factual, to conclude that there is not spiritual truth or reality beyond brain and chemicals, is a limp claim. The greatest minds in science, recognize the spiritual, and holistic nature of reality, to the point of what you could call the Divine. I certainly see it that way myself.

Last edited: