• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only: Why Easter is NOT the Way to Honor Christ.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The Hebrew word translated as “graven image” is pesel, and literally means “idol.” In the ancient cultures from which Deuteronomy comes, an idol is a specific kind of carved image. Not every image or statue is an idol. “Idol” is not a synonym for every kind of carved image.

In those cultures, an idol has deific power in and of itself, IOW, it’s power doesn’t come from the god it represents, rather the object is the god, itself. Since the object is the god, it is worshiped.

This simply is not the case in RCC worship. Crosses, crucifixes, statuary, whether of Jesus, Mary, or one of the Saints, has no power in and of itself. If it has power, that power is imparted to it from God. The item is not, itself, God, or a god. The item is a reflection of God.

The veneration of such items is not, therefore worship — not only because we don’t worship items, but especially because veneration and worship are two completely different acts. In worship, we anticipate God creating with us and shaping us. We don’t expect a statue to create with us. I kiss my wife, but I don’t worship her.

I went to Synagogue once with a friend. She accidentally dropped her prayer book on the floor. When she picked it up, she kissed it. That’s not idolatry and it’s not worship. It simply recognizes that the object is sacred — that is, set apart for a special purpose. It doesn’t mean that the object is deific in any way.

What is going on with the shaming of acts of veneration in this thread is not a sign of righteous warning, but rather a sign of ignorance of what is actually taking place in the pictures. It really needs to stop.

pearl

I went to Synagogue once with a friend. She accidentally dropped her prayer book on the floor. When she picked it up, she kissed it. That’s not idolatry and it’s not worship. It simply recognizes that the object is sacred — that is, set apart for a special purpose. It doesn’t mean that the object is deific in any way.

I have noticed that when Jews stand for the reading of the Torah, as it is carried to the fore congregants close enough touch their lips and then the Scroll as it passes. Much the same as we do for the Gospels.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have noticed that when Jews stand for the reading of the Torah, as it is carried to the fore congregants close enough touch their lips and then the Scroll as it passes. Much the same as we do for the Gospels.
Just a point of clarification: Normally one touches the Torah with the edge of our tallit and then the tallit to our lips. Direct touching is not to be done.

pearl

Just a point of clarification: Normally one touches the Torah with the edge of our tallit and then the tallit to our lips. Direct touching is not to be done.

I stand corrected. In any event its the recognition of the sacred, set apart.