• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only: Why Easter is NOT the Way to Honor Christ.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Am I to accept on your mere say-so that the Holy Spirit abandoned the Church for nearly two millennia?

On Deeje‘s say-so? No. But how about the evidence?

Christendom, which began with the ‘Church,’ has been killing its brothers since its inception!
Will you gloss over that fact, using some justification?
There really isn’t one....
Jesus said for His followers to ‘be not of’’ this world. What does history reveal? That the leaders of Christendom have found it wiser, financially, to support the world, I.e., their respective countries, during times of war, valuing their national brotherhood over their spiritual one. Killing just because of geography.

Jesus provided a way to ID His followers....he said at John 13:35, “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” He even said to “love your enemies”!

For Christendom during war, love stops at the border. That’s documented history.
Yeah, the Holy Spirit left Christendom a long time ago...I’d get out of her, if I were you.

(Notice, this post is directed toward god-dishonoring religions, not you.
I wish you the best.)

Last edited:

pearl

So if it is a "public service" who are the "public" who are 'served' by it?

Yes, that's why the liturgy of the Church is its 'public' prayer.

How far back does liturgy go in Christianity?

Do you really believe that churches of the Apostles gathered in a free for all atmosphere with no order of worship when 'doing this in memory' , or when baptizing? How long before the 'meal' in Paul was reduced to gathering for the 'breaking of the bread' without a meal. Why did the Christians continue to attend the synagogue?

In my studies

I think your 'studies' are all too narrow.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
On Deeje‘s say-so? No. But how about the evidence?

Christendom, which began with the ‘Church,’ has been killing its brothers since its inception!
Will you gloss over that fact, using some justification?
There really isn’t one....
Jesus said for His followers to ‘be not of’’ this world. What does history reveal? That the leaders of Christendom have found it wiser, financially, to support the world, I.e., their respective countries, during times of war, valuing their national brotherhood over their spiritual one. Killing just because of geography.

Jesus provided a way to ID His followers....he said at John 13:35, “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” He even said to “love your enemies”!

For Christendom during war, love stops at the border. That’s documented history.
Yeah, the Holy Spirit left Christendom a long time ago...I’d get of her, if I were you.

(Notice, this post is directed toward god-dishonoring religions, not you.
I wish you the best.)
You didn't answer MB's question.

metis

Yes, that's why the liturgy of the Church is its 'public' prayer.

Do you really believe that churches of the Apostles gathered in a free for all atmosphere with no order of worship when 'doing this in memory' , or when baptizing? How long before the 'meal' in Paul was reduced to gathering for the 'breaking of the bread' without a meal. Why did the Christians continue to attend the synagogue?

I think your 'studies' are all too narrow.
I hate to say this, but with the JW's there are no [objective] "studies", just a blind acceptance of what their Governing Body tells them. If they were to stray even a little from what the GB tells them, they can find themselves being shunned. Over and over again I have asked some of the JW's did Jesus break his promise to guide the Church until the end of times, only to continually get ignored as they walk around the question.

IOW, it's basically a cult. But then I think you probably knew that already.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
You didn't answer MB's question.
Yes I did. I said, “The Holy Spirit left Christendom a long time ago.”
So did Jesus, for that matter...
Matthew 7:21-23.
What is involved in ‘doing the will of the Father’, metis? Would support for the killing of others be a part of it? Or maybe loving others, in line with Scriptural guidance?

“...basically a cult”? (Can’t attack the message, so attack the messenger?) Our meetings are open to the public. All our tenets are published. We willingly discuss our beliefs, we actually look forward to it. We’re as much a cult as Jesus and his apostles were.

metis

Yes I did. I said, “The Holy Spirit left Christendom a long time ago.”
So did Jesus, for that matter...
Matthew 7:21-23.

Matthew[18] And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
[19] I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
[note the underlined]

Clearly, the Church not only must be "one", as Paul exclaimed, it had to be and is an organized body, thus not a free-for-all:
I Corinthians 12[27]Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.
[28] And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various kinds of tongues.

Also:
John.14[26] But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

“...basically a cult”? (Can’t attack the message, so attack the messenger?) Our meetings are open to the public. All our tenets are published. We willingly discuss our beliefs, we actually look forward to it. We’re as much a cult as Jesus and his apostles were.
I didn't "attack the messenger" [you]. And your response about is so utterly hypocritical because you and your fellow JW's "judge the messenger" [all other churches] constantly here at RF, thus you are trying to have it both ways.

Cults are not necessarily secretive, thus you've made up your own "definition". I have two sets of neighbors who were JW's and left, and they also state that it's a "cult" that they had been into. Since I've lived next to them for four decades, I know they're telling the truth and what they had to go through in order to get out.

metis

Here's where you played fast & loose with scripture:
Matthew 7 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

This is not Jesus labeling the Church but talking about judging individuals. It does not state nor imply he would leave his Church that he started, organized, and left with a leadership starting with the Twelve and then advancing through their appointees. This is covered quite well in Acts and the Epistles, so maybe go back and reread them.

cataway

Matthew[18] And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
[19] I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
[note the underlined]

Jesus is the rock ,Peter and all the others are stones in the foundation wall

metis

Jesus is the rock ,Peter and all the others are stones in the foundation wall
Peter's name in Aramaic is "Kephah", which means "rock" or "stone", and this is the name that Jesus gave Peter ["Petros" in Greek]. Also, if you read the entire verse, Jesus makes it clear why he gave Peter that name and what that would eventually entail. Jesus, otoh, is referred to as being the "Cornerstone" of the Church.

cataway

Peter's name in Aramaic is "Kephah", which means "rock" or "stone", and this is the name that Jesus gave Peter ["Petros" in Greek]. Also, if you read the entire verse, Jesus makes it clear why he gave Peter that name and what that would eventually entail. Jesus, otoh, is referred to as being the "Cornerstone" of the Church.
interesting how it is you recanalize Jesus to be the "Cornerstone" but you would take it away from Jesus and give it to Peter .

metis

interesting how it is you recanalize Jesus to be the "Cornerstone" but you would take it away from Jesus and give it to Peter .
Interesting how you have completely managed to screw what I said up, so maybe try again.

Jesus changed Simon's name for a reason, and he spelled out that reason when he said "Thou are Peter...", whereas Peter already knew what his new name was. IOW, it's clearly a play on words. Where the catch comes in is going from one language to another, which I recognize and deal with but you quite clearly don't.

Last edited:

cataway

Interesting how you have completely managed to screw what I said up, so maybe try again.

Jesus changed Simon's name for a reason, and he spelled out that reason when he said "Thou are Peter...", whereas Peter already knew what his new name was. IOW, it's clearly a play on words. Where the catch comes in is going from one language to another, which I recognize and deal with but you quite clearly don't.
hey ,no problem. its easy when ya know what the facts are

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Do we really have to debate this each and every year, especially when no one ever changes their mind about it?
Do you speak for everyone here SF? How do you know that no one changes their mind about it?

Some people have the mistaken notion that celebrating a festival to a foreign deity and calling it "Christian" somehow doesn't dishonor God and the precious son he sent into the world to redeem us.
Do we ignore Paul's admonition at 2 Corinthians 6:14-18?

How will people ever know the truth unless they are informed? Too late once Jesus asks us if we have stayed loyal to his teachings and we offer excuses. (Matthew 7:21-23) :shrug:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Do you speak for everyone here SF? How do you know that no one changes their mind about it?

Some people have the mistaken notion that celebrating a festival to a foreign deity and calling it "Christian" somehow doesn't dishonor God and the precious son he sent into the world to redeem us.
Do we ignore Paul's admonition at 2 Corinthians 6:14-18?

How will people ever know the truth unless they are informed? Too late once Jesus asks us if we have stayed loyal to his teachings and we offer excuses. (Matthew 7:21-23) :shrug:
*Yawn*

rational experiences

Veteran Member
His story. As written by human man agreed by men to preach teach.

Said.

After ice age new man life reinvented rebuilt temple pyramid science. Irradiated UFO attacked life nearly killed us off. Lived genetic human mutation.

Atmosphere mass returned. Water mass held back at ground that was removed for huge cloud amassing. To rain sometimes flood.

Radiation condition. Science man caused it why human life was sacrificed.

New temples pyramids rebuilt.

Jesus reference.

Yet human Christ movement said CH gases were getting removed out of atmosphere. We are sick. Mutated and dying. So challenged Rome to stop.

Seeing Rome owned most land holdings elite control temple technology used.

Christians before Jesus dying

Totally ignored.

Then science notified Jesus leader took up the challenge. Demonstrating phenomena proving humans never began life from or via an evil spirit gas.

We lived in holy water.

Science did science by gas spirit. Evil.

Today science ask did Jesus die?

All humans own death. A totally inane science question.

The UFO attack on earth took the light life out of gas heavens. Day went dark. Yet it reignited. Was witnessed. Light. Live by light a human theory owns life living.

Is just a thought.

We survived the attack is the status because we are not science. The reasoning.

You brother scientist a human create life by human sex.

The first adult father deceased affected your memory brain state.

You were still alive and a dead father man body did not return to life. You survived proving water holy saved you.

AI effect to hear deceased human life memories an AI conditions. Affected thinking ability

To respect life Easter was a memorium. Sea son changed owns life continuance. Why it was a celebrated life living festival. Not about the dead human sacrificed.

Which was abhorrent.

Hence we gave the egg a celebrated symbol. The egg of life. Humans.

We make it chocolate to eat to celebrate garden nature and food surviving. The taught symbolism.

Scientists owned their ceremony to beg holy human father forgiveness for what they did. It was their ceremony not ours. Changed to a community practice later when second shroud victimisation of life occurred.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
@metis, why didn’t you address the issues I raised concerning the Church’s history of supporting war instead of obeying Jesus’ command to ‘love their brother’? Even their “enemy”?
Is it a small thing?
(I thought it would be glossed over.)

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.”

John 8:31
So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine...”

John 14:21
“He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

John 14:23-24
Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.”

John 14:15
“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

John 15:10-15
If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full. “This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you.”

Source: 10 Bible verses about Obeying Jesus

What is the Church’s reputation on this issue?

Another issue:

1 Timothy 4:1-3, NIV (Biblehub).....

1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.”

....raises a question:

These ones that “forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods”....who does this?
Paul was not speaking about pagan religions, because it says they “abandon the faith”; IOW, at one time, they were part of the followers of Christ, but they ‘abandoned’ Him.

metis

@metis, why didn’t you address the issues I raised concerning the Church’s history of supporting war instead of obeying Jesus’ command to ‘love their brother’? Even their “enemy”?
Because you have refused to answer MB's question and mine that deals with Jesus' promise to guide the Church until the end of times. When you decide to deal with that, let me know and we can maybe move on to other items since thus far all you are doing is setting smokescreens so as to avoid the question.

Thus, we can discuss this issue of self-defense and warfare when you stop avoiding answering these basic questions.

cataway

perhaps you dont see the narrative in the scene that unfolded . Jesus was speaking to Peter then referring to him self he said
'' and on this rock I will build my congregation, and the gates of the Grave will not overpower it. '' Jesus is the rock . Peter is but one of the stones in the foundation wall .

cataway

Here's where you played fast & loose with scripture:
Matthew 7 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

This is not Jesus labeling the Church but talking about judging individuals. It does not state nor imply he would leave his Church that he started, organized, and left with a leadership starting with the Twelve and then advancing through their appointees. This is covered quite well in Acts and the Epistles, so maybe go back and reread them.
Acts 20:
. 28 Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed you overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own Son. 29 I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, 30 and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.''

oppressive wolves are in fact those splintered off ones which makeup the majority of Christendom .
for true Christion's the difference stands out . in churches there are items
of devotion ,idolized and held dear.