• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christians Only: Submitting to authorities / governments you don't like?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Christians only, please.

I would like to come up with a Bible quote I can't remember to have ever read here before:

Romans 13:1 says: Every person should place themselves under the authority of the government. There isn’t any authority unless it comes from God, and the authorities that are there have been put in place by God.

(The other one is: Acts 2:44 and Acts 2:45: 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need :D)

One thing I remember about Christianity is accepting what is written in the Bible without twisting the meaning, So I would like to ask you how you can reconcile Romans 13:1 with possible dislike of unpopular authorities or governments?

Acts 2:45 is not exactly a part of my question but you are welcome to discuss it it too if you think it might be relevant in context.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Christians only, please.

I would like to come up with a Bible quote I can't remember to have ever read here before:

Romans 13:1 says: Every person should place themselves under the authority of the government. There isn’t any authority unless it comes from God, and the authorities that are there have been put in place by God.

(The other one is: Acts 2:44 and Acts 2:45: 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need :D)

One thing I remember about Christianity is accepting what is written in the Bible without twisting the meaning, So I would like to ask you how you can reconcile Romans 13:1 with possible dislike of unpopular authorities or governments?

Acts 2:45 is not exactly a part of my question but you are welcome to discuss it it too if you think it might be relevant in context.
I don't see much of an issue. St Paul doesn't say you have like the government, or agree with it, just that you should accept the rule of its law, i.e. don't start revolutions or insurrections against it. This whole section is about remaining a law-abiding citizen as you go about practising your faith. And it was written for the Christians in Rome specifically.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
how you can reconcile Romans 13:1 with possible dislike of unpopular authorities or governments?
He is talking about a personal living sacrifice and submitting to the government put into place over you, living in harmony with others. But he dislikes the government. Chapter 13 is not a book on its own but is meant to be read following chapter 12. So he says to submit in order to change the government to be more righteous. His method of changing the government is to live in harmony. This has actually worked successfully in many places. He says government is there to punish wrongdoers, but he isn't saying the government is just or that everyone punished deserves it.

[Rom 12:21-13:1 NIV] 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. 1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I think there is no passage that would allow rebellion or anything less rigorous but it a lot depends on what is that you dislike about the government.
For example if the government is clearly promoting anti-God or evil things then you're obliged to expose it:
Ephesians 5:11-14

Similarly see 2 Corinthians 6:14-17
Therefore, come forth from them and be separate

However not obeying government on something that has nothing to do with God or evil is not something that one should take care of.

You should also read Maccabes 1st and 2nd book, when the newly set up government demanded people to renounce God, they refused and their heads were skinned alive for not obeying.
The message is that God is over governments not below.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Christians only, please.

Acts 5: 27 And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men. (those who were in authority)

IMV - the key is found further in the scripture:

Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

So he is talking about a government or rulers that are NOT "a terror to good works". There are governments that are a terror to good works.

The standard is found in other places too such as in Daniel when they were ordered to bow to the idol that Nebuchadnezzar made. They didn't obey.

But otherwise, as much as we are able to, we submit to those in authority.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Christians only, please.

A true Christian would not rebel against the government, and would obey requirements such as payment of taxes, but would not do such things as going to war to kill national enemies because of what Jesus said. Therefore decisions must be made in various areas of life by each person professing to actually be a Christian, based on a biblically educated conscience.

Faithofchristian

Christians only, please.

Wrong.
There's no mentioning of any Government..so how is it that you come by Government.
Romans 13:1.
Clearly states.
( Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God )

The higher power being God..for there is no power..but that of God's.
God reigns supreme over all.power on the earth and heaven above.
Therefore there is no higher power than higher power of God's.